Happy Easter to all

Rate this topic

Noel

Yes, Noel, a Happy and Blessed Easter to you all.

I have many wonderful memories of Easter steam in the 1960s (to Warrenpoint and POrtrush), but the most memorable (sorry to return to the real reason for the Day) was Easter in Shanghai in 2002 in a church where the English speakers sat upstairs with headphones on for the translation and the church was packed with Chinese Christians half an hour before the appointed hour. And boy, could they raise the roof.

The first hymn - as in Christian churches everywhere  - "Jesus Christ is Risen today".

Christos Anesti!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Yes, Noel, a Happy and Blessed Easter to you all.

I have many wonderful memories of Easter steam in the 1960s (to Warrenpoint and POrtrush), but the most memorable (sorry to return to the real reason for the Day) was Easter in Shanghai in 2002 in a church where the English speakers sat upstairs with headphones on for the translation and the church was packed with Chinese Christians half an hour before the appointed hour. And boy, could they raise the roof.

The first hymn - as in Christian churches everywhere  - "Jesus Christ is Risen today".

Christos Anesti!

A friend of ours ran an innovative and creative online Easter Day service in case its of interest to any one on here. Best wishes.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Senior learned Latin in school in Dublin - but that was in the 1930s! I've never heard of anyone north or south learning Greek...... maybe posh places like Belfast "Inst" or the King's Hospital, Blackrock College or Portora!

Such a thing would never have been much use in ordering a pint of Guinness down the road here (back in the day when we had pubs....remember pubs?)

"Ipsum Flotsam Bignum Bognum Jetsam Guinness, please"

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Latin was pretty much the only thing I did at school after the age of ten that has had any use at at all.

I once had a bizarre interview at Ford's truck division, me and seventeen of 'them', four of them had to sit behind me. One of them asked me his killer question "What's the difference between a trans- axle diff-lock and an inter-axle diff-lock?" - "A trans-axle locks it across the axle and an inter-axle locks it between the axles." - "How do you know that? It's a rather niche piece of knowledge." - "I did Latin..."

It was also the first time I used my killer question - "Is there anything you would like to ask us?" - "Yes, what's the worst thing about working here?"

There was utter silence from all seventeen of them as they struggled to think of anything they dared to say in front of the others. A total revelation.

I used it a few times and only ever got one straight answer - the car parking wasn't quite adequate, apparently...

Despite having a 'technical job', the most intricate maths I did was generally the monthly fault-finding task when the pay-slip arrived.

Latin is there, hovering in the background all the time.

• Like 6

Forgot to mention it came in handy in my Alter Boy days, we used to make up similar sounding words in the Tridentine Mass, but breaking your shite laughing   on the alter was frowned upon and my contract was terminated before I got to ring the bells  😷😔😔😷                           

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Like 1

One of our itinerant, short-term MDs was a proper posh-boy, who had been to the sort of school that you should have heard of.

He had a habit of using Latin phrases, to boost his own (self-perceived) superiority and keep the people who did the real work 'in their place'.

He once, after a long meeting, stated "Alea iacta est!", folded up his papers and got up to leave - nobody else had the slightest idea what he had said ("The die is cast", meaning that the decision had been made).

Sitting next to my boss, I felt the urge to state "Quanta est canis in fenestra".

He didn't quite catch what I had said, as I had intended, but he knew it was Latin, so had to nod his agreement, as I had also got up to leave,and so was presumably going along with his decision.

On the way back to the office, I was grilled "What was going on there?" - I explained the quote about the die being cast - "And what did you say to him?" - "It was Latin, it's OK, he agreed with me" - "I know it was Latin, but what did it mean?" - "How much is that doggie in the window?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1