I feel contaminated

Rate this topic

Noel

Having touched a piece of rolling stock as modern as a mk3 coach with my bare hands today, risking contamination,  I fear I could be sent to the 'bogie of eternal stench' for isolation. :) The first sign of weakness was some Tara's followed by container wagons. Where will it all end Ted? My black and tan stock might not shunt anymore.

IMG_6034.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, patrick said:

Get a grip on yourself Noel. Start work on those Bulleid opens and order a bunch of H vans from Leslie before it's too late. There may not be a cure for yellow infiltration.

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

The mans for turning.

Watch the yellow stuff take over next!

No fear no yellow. :) My IRM ploughs remain boxed in a cupboard pending display in a display case. Don't know why PW stuff is yellow anyway because it was only supposed to be run when its dark at night after passenger services have finished for the day, and therefore never be seen (ie the public can only see real trains running). I've no desire for a rake of mk3 coaches and no desire to run mk3, but just curious to try a few resprays. Might decorate interior, fit passengers and lights, etc, just for the heck of it. Its playing with trains, but patrick is right the only safe vaccine is to build some more 1960s stock, so I may get around to more beet wagons from PW shortly.

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

The mans for turning.

Watch the yellow stuff take over next!

Oh No Omg GIF by Friends

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 5:01 PM, Noel said:

Having touched a piece of rolling stock as modern as a mk3 coach with my bare hands today, risking contamination,  I fear I could be sent to the 'bogie of eternal stench' for isolation. :) The first sign of weakness was some Tara's followed by container wagons. Where will it all end Ted? My black and tan stock might not shunt anymore.

IMG_6034.jpg

Mark IIIs are heritage items now...

1 hour ago, Horsetan said:

Not as contaminated as the cooling system of the oul Citroën was when the head gasket failed....

20200404_212515.jpg

The bloke nextdoor had one of those in the 80s - lovely car to drive, but when the starter motor failed on his drive, we had to bodge up a pulley on a Black & Decker to drive the hydraulic pump to get the suspension pumped up high enough to get under it to change the motor.

We couldn't even get a trolley jack under it on the drive, because it wouldn't start, and just lay on the ground.

14 minutes ago, Broithe said:

The bloke nextdoor had one of those in the 80s - lovely car to drive, but when the starter motor failed on his drive, we had to bodge up a pulley on a Black & Decker to drive the hydraulic pump to get the suspension pumped up high enough to get under it to change the motor.

We couldn't even get a trolley jack under it on the drive, because it wouldn't start, and just lay on the ground.

Difficult cars to clamp. Or lift. Which is partly why I have one.

But like all Mistresses, she's cost me a fortune, but.

Rebuilt auto gearbox

One radiator 

Three alternators (so far)

Three batteries (so far)

One head gasket and cooling system 

Can't wait to see what happens next. 

42 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Mark IIIs are heritage items now...

Ahem, Gerry, they didn't run in the 1960s nor even the 1970s here, only in the UK from 74 so modern era! :) Had to wash hands after handling. 

33 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Difficult cars to clamp. Or lift. Which is partly why I have one.

But like all Mistresses, she's cost me a fortune, but.

Rebuilt auto gearbox

One radiator 

Three alternators (so far)

Three batteries (so far)

One head gasket and cooling system 

Can't wait to see what happens next. 

I had his old 2CV off him (after we'd used it to pull-start the CX).

It developed a weird alternator fault - it would not charge for the first few minutes, after that, it would be OK all day.

The number of the 'few' minutes was getting greater all the time and there came a point where I felt it necessary to intervene. Eventually, I came to the realisation that the brushes were only just touching the rings, but there was plenty of carbon left. They were being held off by a plastic post on the moulding - presumably a shipping thing, to stop the springs falling off in transit. After a bit of thought, I snapped it off - and everything was OK for a few more years.

Once things had warmed up, the brushes had been just touching the rings again, but still wearing slightly, thus the 'warming up time' was constantly getting greater and there would have come a point at which the battery emptied before the alternator managed to charge it.

I wonder how many extra spare brushes were sold because of that post?

Something like this.

Citroen 2cv van - Zeppy.io