Dapol O Gauge NCC 19 LMS Class 3F Jinty

Rate this topic

mphoey

I noticed this too but have yet to see any photos of the actual model, which makes me wonder if they have changed their plans? Hattons recently showcased that Dapol are making a UTA livery variant.

This is what I had mentioned to a friend, nothing official/factual, just my theory. "I noticed that about Dapol changing their plans as well... Rather strange, but the UTA livery must be more attractive to them/their customers. If I recall correctly there is another NCC O gauge livery jinty on the market, albeit from one of the retro/tinplate companies, so I wonder if that swayed their decision at all". 

Nelson. 

Indeed! However, rather like Tyrconnel kits, 32mm gauge does not translate well to 36.75 where splashers are concerned, though at least there are only two to worry about.  Equally, seem to remember reading that when converting the Jinties to 5'3, they had to skim the driving wheels to make them fit inside the splashers. 

Nevertheless, Jim's kits are superb and you only have to look at the website to see he tells you the total cost, including wheels, motor and gears, something other kit makers could follow methinks.

Guess the main reason we don't see (m)any of them is their work rarely, if ever took them outside the docks or York Road, though am sure someone will enlighten us on that. Would still make for a nice shunting layout though!

• Like 1

Excellent point Mr H. I have built some of Jim’s stuff and it’s very good. The recent Dapol Sentinel might also offer some scope. I know the GSR had one but also the NCC I think...

Without wishing to hijack the thread, it got me thinking about one of the other English locos that had a 5’3” conversion. Could be an option to build a Mercian kit of the 4’6” wheeled Webb LNWR 2-4-2Ts to 36.75 and painted as one of those sold to the DWWR..images from Mercian and Mike Morant’s smugmug site. As one lasted in GSR service till 36 it’s tempting. 

94C8D712-4877-403C-ACCC-ED9748D70D89.jpeg

81D98C90-85B2-45BB-AA63-03E2E82BD6EE.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Been tempted by the Sentinel, as could be a very quick fix to 36.75mm. Unfortunately the absence of shows means have yet to see one and check if it just a case of moving wheels out to you he correct gauge.

If so, something like the Limerick market in branch would make an interesting little shunting puzzle, with just a couple of points and a few wagons.

• Like 1

I haven’t managed a close look either! Walsworth Models do a very reasonable 7mm kit - etched nickel silver and motor, wheels etc included - for just under £110. For an extra £35 or so he’ll even build it! Might be a good way to start in 36.75mm. Easier than doing a single wheeler -only a fool would start that way! 🙄 https://www.walsworthmodelservices.co.uk/product-page/sentinel-y1-3

I think the NCC Sentinel had double windows but a bit of work with a piercing saw could sort that. And if it all goes badly wrong, just build yourself an SLNC railbus trailer with the chassis! 

FE3D7660-AA84-4D6F-8CB1-E8730A2D9AD2.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

16 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Excellent point Mr H. I have built some of Jim’s stuff and it’s very good. The recent Dapol Sentinel might also offer some scope. I know the GSR had one but also the NCC I think...

Without wishing to hijack the thread, it got me thinking about one of the other English locos that had a 5’3” conversion. Could be an option to build a Mercian kit of the 4’6” wheeled Webb LNWR 2-4-2Ts to 36.75 and painted as one of those sold to the DWWR..images from Mercian and Mike Morant’s smugmug site. As one lasted in GSR service till 36 it’s tempting. 

94C8D712-4877-403C-ACCC-ED9748D70D89.jpeg

81D98C90-85B2-45BB-AA63-03E2E82BD6EE.jpeg

The DSER rebuilt 64 Earl of Bessborough (GSR427) with a high pitched boiler and DSER cab so that it was almost un-recognisable as a LNWR 4'6" tank, there is a photo of 427 about half way down Page 7 on JHBs From the Catacombs thread.

The Mercian LNWR 5'6" radial thank might be a better option than a 4'6" tank for an Irish conversion as WLWR 13-14 (GSR 267 & 491) have a striking resemblance to the LNWR  locos including cab and bunker profile.

Class F 4 - 267 - WL&WR 2-4-2T - built 1891 by Vulcan Foundry & Co., Works No.1316, as WL&WR No.14 LOUGH DERG - seen here withdrawn at Inchicore, 06/38, with Class 101 0-6-0 No.175.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1