RPSI B134 production samples

Rate this topic

RPSI B134

We have received a basic sample for review from the factory in China. This sample show the basic colour of the locomotive and is far from a complete sample of a finished model. We are very happy with how the locomotive looks and the finished product will be even better.

Sales of the model continue to come in and less than a third of the stock remains available. To secure your model follow the link https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/b134-class-121-locomotive-rpsi-grey-yellow 

There will be just one production run of these locomotives so don’t miss out and at the same time you will be supporting the RPSI. 

Thank you

B134 sample 3.jpg

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, RPSI B134 said:

We have received a basic sample for review from the factory in China. This sample show the basic colour of the locomotive and is far from a complete sample of a finished model. We are very happy with how the locomotive looks and the finished product will be even better.

Sales of the model continue to come in and less than a third of the stock remains available. To secure your model follow the link https://irishrailwaymodels.com/products/b134-class-121-locomotive-rpsi-grey-yellow 

There will be just one production run of these locomotives so don’t miss out and at the same time you will be supporting the RPSI. 

Thank you

B134 sample 3.jpg

it really does look well and the cab detail is excellent so looking forward to both the model and the 1.1 scale version

On 8/3/2020 at 1:12 PM, RPSI B134 said:

When new the doors had the words Hand Brake Inside on them. This disappeared after a while along with the sandbox filler pipe on the bonnet end.

I haven't seen/noticed this before but then I may not have seen early close-ups of the cabsides. Maybe this was a requirement for US manufactured locomotives that had to be on the loco prior to export? Did it run with this in the grey & yellow livery , at least until the filler pipes fell off?

On 8/4/2020 at 10:52 AM, Noel said:

B134 will go nicely with B135 which is the original delivery format loco without the walkway rails and the older lights, but with the original staff catcher. Well done RPSI, Murphy Models and IRM. Happy to support, ordered. 

Actually it won't technically go with anything but modern DMUs etc and other preserved liveries such as MM 0141A. I'm presuming for a start that it will retain the modern LED marker light clusters. Will it have any RPSI markings?

2 Foot rule, yes you could run them together but then they rarely if ever ran in consist in this livery, nor in BnT

I'm not knocking the model, I've ordered one.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, DiveController said:

I haven't seen/noticed this before but then I may not have seen early close-ups of the cabsides. Maybe this was a requirement for US manufactured locomotives that had to be on the loco prior to export? Did it run with this in the grey & yellow livery , at least until the filler pipes fell off?

Actually it won't technically go with anything but modern DMUs etc and other preserved liveries such as MM 0141A. I'm presuming for a start that it will retain the modern LED marker light clusters. Will it have any RPSI markings?

2 Foot rule, yes you could run them together but then they rarely if ever ran in consist in this livery, nor in BnT

In response to your questions- the 121 class certainly did run with this wording on the cab door when introduced to service. The removal of the sandbox filler was an early modification to the locomotive rather than the filler just falling off!

The model of B134 will certainly have the current LED lights, the model will represent the real thing as it will emerge from Inchicore works so this will also include full length handrails along the side of the locomotive which it did not have as new. The retro fitting of the windows over the bonnet will also feature as this has been completed on the real thing. There will be no RPSI marking on either the real thing or model. It will be as close as possible to how it looked when new.

The 121 class were regularly to be found in multiple from the black and tan era onwards. They would have also ran in multiple with the B141 class in this livery also. As an example, see the picture from the RPSI 2020 calendar of B134 operating in multiple with the early up Waterford train pictured by Barry Carse at Clondalkin station.  An interesting one for modellers given the stock they are hauling. 

B134 Clondalkin.jpg

Edited by RPSI B134
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

On 8/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, DiveController said:

It might work well with the RPSI Cravens, or the RPSI Mk2 set, which I think is still available from Marks Models:

http://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=3981

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RPSI B134 said:RPSI 2020 calendar of B134 operating in multiple with the early up Waterford train pictured by Barry Carse at Clondalkin station.  An interesting one for modellers given the stock they are hauling. 

B134 Clondalkin.jpg

When the “supertrain” branding first came in (1972), only a handful of engines had the “supertrain” livery at first, whereas the new air-conditioned stock had it from new.

Thus, black’n’tan locos hauling ST carriages was very much a feature for maybe 2 years until most locos were repainted. 

From recollection, the “A” class seemed to be mostly in the new livery long before the 121, 141 & 181 class were.

7 hours ago, RPSI B134 said:

In response to your questions- the 121 class certainly did run with this wording on the cab door when introduced to service. The removal of the sandbox filler was an early modification to the locomotive rather than the filler just falling off!

The model of B134 will certainly have the current LED lights, the model will represent the real thing as it will emerge from Inchicore works so this will also include full length handrails along the side of the locomotive which it did not have as new. The retro fitting of the windows over the bonnet will also feature as this has been completed on the real thing. There will be no RPSI marking on either the real thing or model. It will be as close as possible to how it looked when new.

The 121 class were regularly to be found in multiple from the black and tan era onwards. They would have also ran in multiple with the B141 class in this livery also. As an example, see the picture from the RPSI 2020 calendar of B134 operating in multiple with the early up Waterford train pictured by Barry Carse at Clondalkin station.  An interesting one for modellers given the stock they are hauling. 

B134 Clondalkin.jpg

That's one of the best colour photos of AC stock in the 1970s I've seen, very rich and clear colours showing the more golden-y brown than orange nature of the livery and a perfect textbook formation to boot, I'd guess c. 1973-1975.

54 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

When the “supertrain” branding first came in (1972), only a handful of engines had the “supertrain” livery at first, whereas the new air-conditioned stock had it from new.

Thus, black’n’tan locos hauling ST carriages was very much a feature for maybe 2 years until most locos were repainted. 

From recollection, the “A” class seemed to be mostly in the new livery long before the 121, 141 & 181 class were.

Well, strictly speaking the AC stock was delivered in undercoat and only got the now very familiar golden brown and black livery after CIÉ tried numerous options including red and cream and a greenish-navy blue that reminds me of Sea Containers' GNER livery.

Now that would've been "interesting" to see adopted, perhaps complete with cast iron crests on the coach sides as well? ;)

7 hours ago, RPSI B134 said:

B134 Clondalkin.jpg

That's pure gold, and great information. Thanks for posting. That fabulous photo should be in rails to the west part deux :) 

• Like 1