Mk4 coaches

Rate this topic

Mondo locos

57 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

I think they might be the only ones, I remember reading about a company called Calvex I think, who announced they were to produce some 4mm ones
"for the discerning modeller", along with a Class 91. They do produce a 2mm version but I haven't heard anything since

Cancelled because one of the big manufacturers came out and said they had one in the works as I recall.

1 hour ago, Mondo locos said:

Hello 

I know that  British rail mk4 coaches have no relation to the irish mk4 coaches in real life

But for modelling are the hornby mk4 coaches the best donors

to model the irish intercity or de Dietrich 

I've seen at least one repaint of Hornby Mk4s into the modern IÉ InterCity colours, if you are prepared to accept a number of visual differences then go for it. Certainly I don't think there is anything ready-to-run that is as close an approximation.

The DVT is the greatest discrepancy though, the British Mk4 one has a raked angular front, the Irish one has more of a swept-back wedge shape.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Railer said:

Hornby came out saying they are working on a retooling of their old 91 model which put the brakes on Cavalex's project. Hornby however said nothing about their BREL/Camel Mk4s.

I thought they had said something about the Mk4s but perhaps I'm misrecallling. They didn't do the full range anyway, missing the TOE and I think TOD vehicles, the four types covered being PO, SV, TO and DVT.

@hexagon789. Is the Cavalex version of the BR Class 91 not at an advanced stage now? Can't recall when they announced it but it I think it was at Warley last year.

Regarding the IE "Mark IVs' - it'd be interesting to know if there's a market for a set of those coaches considering that they only operate on one route and that there are no updated versions of the current Class 201[new] available.

1 hour ago, connollystn said:

@hexagon789. Is the Cavalex version of the BR Class 91 not at an advanced stage now? Can't recall when they announced it but it I think it was at Warley last year.

Regarding the IE "Mark IVs' - it'd be interesting to know if there's a market for a set of those coaches considering that they only operate on one route and that there are no updated versions of the current Class 201[new] available.

As Warbonnet says, that was cancelled due to Hornby producing their own one, so not in '00' but after cancelling that, they did say they were continuing with their 'N' gauge one. Afaik that hasn't been cancelled unless I've missed something.

The biggest visual difference to my eyes is the coach ends are completely different. BR mk3 have curvey corners, whereas the IR CAF mk4 have abrupt flat ends at right angles to the body sides.

800px-IE_MK4.JPG?1597769856805

Please forgive the visual blasphemy and modernity of this :) These were resprays sourced from Chris Dyre, I think resprayed by Tony Mirolo. The bogies and underside aren't bad but the coach ends and corridor connectors scream difference.

IMG_9766.jpg

I quite like the look of these as possible respray donors, the coach ends are right, but the underside doesn't match up much. The mk5 DVT looks a lot closer to the CAF Mk4 DVT than any other BR version.

image.thumb.png.f74e6d3972ae3647683d34a1146089da.png

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

The biggest visual difference to my eyes is the coach ends are completely different. BR mk3 have curvey corners, whereas the IR CAF mk4 have abrupt flat ends at right angles to the body sides.

800px-IE_MK4.JPG?1597769856805

Please forgive the visual blasphemy and modernity of this :) These were resprays sourced from Chris Dyre, I think resprayed by Tony Mirolo. The bogies and underside aren't bad but the coach ends and corridor connectors scream difference.

IMG_9766.jpg

I quite like the look of these as possible respray donors, the coach ends are right, but the underside doesn't match up much. The mk5 DVT looks a lot closer to the CAF Mk4 DVT than any other BR version.

image.thumb.png.f74e6d3972ae3647683d34a1146089da.png

The IÉ Mk4 bogies look closer to the BR Mk4's SIG bogies than the CAF Mk5a ones. Underframe needs boxed in though whereas the CAF Mk5a have the various modules exposed more like Mk2 coaches.

I agree the DVT is closer, though perhaps if the CAF 5a were 125mph as with the IÉ Mk4s the shape would be even closer, though the passenger accommodation doesn't really fit.

In essence I can see +s and -s with both but I think the Hornby Mk4s are still a closer fit generally. The DVT is the main issue, I think though someone has done a modified nose for that which was exactly the right shape.

At £40-£45 a coach I built Hornby MK4 InterCity and Enterprise rakes to go with their respective 201s. Far from prototypical of course but they're the only modern day rolling stock I have and they run well with the highly performant if somewhat unloved 201s so they serve a purpose and give a more current look to the layout.

• Like 3

Well if the  good gents at IRM do not produce  these or a Rotem 22000  in the next decade I would be surprised but in mean while i Iwould think  3 D print body , hornby bogies and a modern vinyl wrap would give a DIY method .  The driver trailer would be fun - in a non fun kind of way...  201s well a differing matter.  

I guess in not too many years these and the DD sets will be just memories and the railcar will win out.

Robert