Growlers at Goring and other Freight!

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

At least your off-spring can give you accommodation near the second best narrow gauge railway in the World! The Ffestiniog takes some beating, but the Rhaetian Railway pips it for the top place!

Some of the Swiss stuff is indeed truly amazing, and so far free from the sort of run-down privatisation which ravaged the Austrian narrow gauge in the 90s - I was lucky to see THAT 20 years earlier in steam days.....

I had a holiday job on the FR in the mid-70s, amazing then and even more so now with the WHR appended, and through trains to Blaenau - when I was there the public trains only went to DDT.

Sadly, my offspring resides in South Wales, not north - so the nearest thing is the Gwili Railway, and even that is the best part of an hour away........! Will probably pay it a visit in the autumn.

Some years ago we lived near - 10 miles - the Mid Hants Rlwy, which in those days ran a semi-daily steam service with 2 locos and Mk1 sets in use, over a respectable distance with some great inclines - and a buffet car. It was possible to spend a day of more or less constant steam haulage for a respectable sum, and often with few other passengers. And some days they had the Thumper DEMU out, which sounds just like an 80 class….

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

For a second I thought you were at Goring-by-Sea, which is two stations down from me.  It’s electrified as well but using a different method…

Cheers

Darius

Ah yes, Darius, I have to differentiate between the two of them when I'm searching Realtimetrains to see what's happening and if it's worth the £4.40 car parking to go and see. That said, the platforms are safer to walk on than our local ploughed up pavements

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

Ever wondered what an "800" looked like passing you flat out?

Well, a Royal Scot is much the same size. Here she is passing South Stoke near Goring this morning on a God-given sunny day. Sorry about the wind noise! ENJOY!

Unfortunately, you can't see the blaze of daffodils (planted by local school children), which I was standing amidst

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 2