North Wall/ Port Thuaidh

Rate this topic

201bhoy

What do yous think? I'm getting the track the day after tomorrow and I made a last minute change to the design because I thought the station was too boring with only one platform, and there wouldn't be room for more than one train on All-Ireland days where specials are needed! So I put a bay platform there too, as Josefstadt suggested. It will be for push-pull trains, dmus, stabled engines or short cravens trains with a 141 or 181 at the front :)

bay platform layout.jpg

bay platform layout.jpg

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!

My only concern is the width - will the layout be free standing in the middle of the room?

The bay looks long enough to happily take a 141, 2 cravens and a gen van, will be nice :) (or a 2 car dmu, etc)

Inbound trains will have to enter the station on the wrong road, maybe look at putting the crossover at the top into the curve at the station?

I like it!

My only concern is the width - will the layout be free standing in the middle of the room?

The bay looks long enough to happily take a 141, 2 cravens and a gen van, will be nice :) (or a 2 car dmu, etc)

Inbound trains will have to enter the station on the wrong road, maybe look at putting the crossover at the top into the curve at the station?

I have tried that, but it's so hard to have a crossover on a curve! And yep, the bay will be taking the likes of that. I'm happy I put it in, as the station was a bit boring without it :) In time, I'll get some silverfox PPs and have a 201 or more likely a 121 behind :) I still have so much stock to get! On the Christmas list is a NCC powercab and a 201 sound decoder!

And btw, do you mean free-standing by on the floor? Yes, it will be on the floor to begin with. I think I'll lay it down on two boards to begin with, one 6 x 4 and one 2 x 4, as I'm pretty sure I can't fit an 8 x 4 board upstairs in one piece!

Plan is looking good. Like the addition of the bay platform:tumbsup: - it will give you a bit of operational flexability. A few suggestions. Like BosKonay I think you should try moving the crossover from the top to somewhere on the curve nearer the station. You could use Peco ST-244 and ST-245 curved turnouts, with a short section of track (either ST-203 or ST-227) between them to maintain the track separation. Check with your track supplier as the Peco Catologue isn't clear which to use.

Also, You would need a crossover for freight trains exiting the yard to gain the line towards the fiddle yard. If you went for a single track main line this would avoid this problem. Your second track, the inside curve, could be shortened to before the backscene and become the headshunt and your headshunt would be free to be used as another siding - e.g. for oil or timber. You could also fit in an extra siding between the loop and the gantry siding by replacing the short straight with a right-hand turnout. This could be used for freight normally or for stabling additional passenger stock on 'All Ireland' days.

If you curved the cement tracks slightly at their ends and left a clear 1 foot wide area for the fiddleyard then you could get 4 tracks in. I have marked these suggestions up in red on the diagram with the backscene in green.

Hope this is of some assistance.

NWPT.jpg

NWPT.jpg

Plan is looking good. Like the addition of the bay platform:tumbsup: - it will give you a bit of operational flexability. A few suggestions. Like BosKonay I think you should try moving the crossover from the top to somewhere on the curve nearer the station. You could use Peco ST-244 and ST-245 curved turnouts, with a short section of track (either ST-203 or ST-227) between them to maintain the track separation. Check with your track supplier as the Peco Catologue isn't clear which to use.

Also, You would need a crossover for freight trains exiting the yard to gain the line towards the fiddle yard. If you went for a single track main line this would avoid this problem. Your second track, the inside curve, could be shortened to before the backscene and become the headshunt and your headshunt would be free to be used as another siding - e.g. for oil or timber. You could also fit in an extra siding between the loop and the gantry siding by replacing the short straight with a right-hand turnout. This could be used for freight normally or for stabling additional passenger stock on 'All Ireland' days.

If you curved the cement tracks slightly at their ends and left a clear 1 foot wide area for the fiddleyard then you could get 4 tracks in. I have marked these suggestions up in red on the diagram with the backscene in green.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1270[/ATTACH]

Hope this is of some assistance.

It definitely was! Here's the edited plan. The fiddle yard only has one track becasue this is what I'm planning to get tomorrow and I can't afford any more points, but don't worry, it'll have 4 lines!

bay platform layout.jpg

bay platform layout.jpg

Cheers lads! One depressing thing is that unlike you, Boskonay, i've barely got any Irish stock. I have to get a full rake of mk3s, mk2 generator van and restaurant coach, at least one more 201, another 141, obviously an 071 and a 121 when they come out, AND all the freight stock!

The longer one is 3ft exactly, the smaller one is about 2.4?

Vincent given that a cement bubble model would be roughly 100mm over buffers, and depending on your choice of couplings I would say 8 wagons in the longer siding would be your limit.

Rich,

• 2 weeks later...