North Wall/ Port Thuaidh

Rate this topic

201bhoy

For an 8x4 space available that layout plan looks very good.As a suggestion,if you have the room,to add to the operating potential,a head shunt coming off your 3 lines to the container yard would be a bonus.All you need do would be to replace the first point to the container yard with a double slip.Look forward to your progress in the coming months

Thanks for the tip! Thing is I don't really have room for a double slip there as there wouldn't be enough clearance between the freight yard track and the sidings for the loco depot. I could put a headshunt coming off the second 2 lines... would probably be more useful anyway? Only problem is then that is won't be as long....

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like you could replace the first point of the crane area with a slip then run the headhunt back around alongside the mainline?

Yes BosKonay,that's the way I was meaning,not sure if I have explained it well as I think 201bhoy has picked up something different,or am I now getting confused,as I assume the loco depot is parallel to the station ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6936[/ATTACH]Is this what you mean? Because it's pretty much impossible to bend the third track round without it severely reducing the clearance for the loco depot siding. Or have I got it wrong?

Close 201bhoy,both tracks from one end of the double slip go to the container yard and the other end one track goes to the main line the other being the head shunt running beside the main line towards the cement store.It means you can do loads of shunting without interfering with the main lines to the station and loco depot.Hope that makes sense

North Wall.jpg

Hope you don t mind had a little play around with your plan, with the slip v point you ll lose about 64mm but you ll still have 1188mm for the longest siding (201 plus 4 x 47ft), 1010mm plus 842mm for the headshunt for the cement depot. Each of your lines for the loco depot will fit 2 x 201's. The minimum radius for this plan is second radius so the 201's can go anywhere on it.

Best of luck with your new layout, your plan is class and the layout should turn out a cracker when finished. Don t forget to post up plenty of pics along the way though:tumbsup:

Edited by Riversuir226

Yeah that's what I thought you meant, but I didn't want to cut into the space for my loco depot! Might give a try though!

The changes haven t cut into your loco depot, you can still have 2 x 201 in each road, plus you could use the headshunt of the loop as another loco holding area, could be a 071/111 on Thunderbird duties.

If you wanted you could put a preserved loco shed off your bay line handy for your RPSI special!!.

• 3 months later...

I've edited the plan a bit as I think the loco depot makes it look a bit too cramped. So I might try a quayside scene with maybe a small container ship (anyone know where I can get one?).

New quay.jpg

When a passenger train arrives at the main platform, the loco will uncouple from the stock. A pilot loco will come from the stabling point or the track beside the train and haul the stock back into the tunnel to release the loco. When the loco is out of the way, it shunts the stock back into place for the loco to back onto again. Or, alternatively, if there is another 071 or 201 at hand, then the loco can uncouple from it's stock, and the new loco can just back onto the stock and release the previous loco when it departs.

These would be great as well for a container terminal:

http://scalescenes.com/products/T032-Gantry-Crane

http://scalescenes.com/products/T031-Shipping-Containers

I have all 4 Kits and I'm trying to work on my own dock scene. I was able to get some IE waterslide decals to put on the crane. Photos of my attempt can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4091197206838.2173269.1489998843&type=1&l=dc5c680810

Thanks lads! Dave, is it a container ship? The surface on the inside could be a bit slanted, don't want the containers to fall off! Michael, your crane's great, love the IE decals! Glenderg is building me my own container crane over a foot wide, and he's made me my containers! Excellent work! One thing is was thinking about there was, how could I move containers from the quayside to the ship? Don't think my crane would have the potential to do that! Maybe a crane on the ship, I know some ships have those.

Thanks for the likes lads. Yes the crane is a bit constrained in its design. I have been looking at trying to modify it so that it could lift containers off ships. The cargo ship shown is supposed to be based on 50-60's ships and not actual container ships. There are plans for Scalescenes to bring out a modern cargo ship, which I take to mean as a container ship; but this won't be out til next year at the earliest. I also have an album showing my trials on building the cargo ship currently available; if anyone is interested in it. It's not quite finished though. Still one or two bits to be dealt with.

It might be easier to keep the ship/container transfer in the background In most modern ports the railway sidings are usually in a separate area from the ship loading area, with reach stackers and straddle handlers shuttling containers between the railway sidings and container storage/stacking area such as Dublin Port & overseas. http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/About-Us/Port-Map/Sulphur-Point/ In Taraunga and Auckland Ports lines of modern warehouses separates the container sidings from the container storage and sorting area with reach stackers and straddle carriers running back and forth between the two areas like ants The arrangement in Waterford and Belview where the same gantry served both ship and rail is not the most efficient and is generally avoided in modern practice. Rather than swapping the containers around it might be worth having rakes of wagons with different wagon. The real challenge is whether to start switch containers around between each move or even run the occasional train of empty decks to collect urgent export traffic, or simply have a number of different rakes to ring the changes.

It might be easier to keep the ship/container transfer in the background In most modern ports the railway sidings are usually in a separate area from the ship loading area, with reach stackers and straddle handlers shuttling containers between the railway sidings and container storage/stacking area such as Dublin Port & overseas. http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/About-Us/Port-Map/Sulphur-Point/ In Taraunga and Auckland Ports lines of modern warehouses separates the container sidings from the container storage and sorting area with reach stackers and straddle carriers running back and forth between the two areas like ants The arrangement in Waterford and Belview where the same gantry served both ship and rail is not the most efficient and is generally avoided in modern practice. Rather than swapping the containers around it might be worth having rakes of wagons with different wagon. The real challenge is whether to start switch containers around between each move or even run the occasional train of empty decks to collect urgent export traffic, or simply have a number of different rakes to ring the changes.

Thanks for the advice! I probably will do that then. Just out of interest, why is the rail and ship gantry not efficient? I would have though it would have been more so?

Using the same gantry to transfer between rail and ship may increase turnaround time for container ships. Few containers go direct from ship to road or rail, containers have to be sorted and stored in different storage areas depending on destination/types of cargo as they are loaded/unloaded. While the trains generally run in fixed formation, the straddle handlers and forklifts have taken the place of the dockside shunter. Your track layout layout is almost a mirror image of Holyhead in the 70s & 80s even down to the arrangement with the harbour in the vee between the passenger station and Freightliner terminal.

Using the same gantry to transfer between rail and ship may increase turnaround time for container ships. Few containers go direct from ship to road or rail, containers have to be sorted and stored in different storage areas depending on destination/types of cargo as they are loaded/unloaded. While the trains generally run in fixed formation, the straddle handlers and forklifts have taken the place of the dockside shunter. Your track layout layout is almost a mirror image of Holyhead in the 70s & 80s even down to the arrangement with the harbour in the vee between the passenger station and Freightliner terminal.

Thanks for the info! I'll just keep the ships and port in the background then. Do you know where I could get a good backscene of a port, preferably with a ship and a couple of cranes? Also, what do you mean by "rakes of wagons with different wagon"? You seem to have a pretty knowledge of how ports work, and I'd like to keep things fairly realistic, although Belfast Port is now one of the major ports in Europe in my layout :-bd

Thanks for the info! I'll just keep the ships and port in the background then. Do you know where I could get a good backscene of a port, preferably with a ship and a couple of cranes? Also, what do you mean by "rakes of wagons with different wagon"? You seem to have a pretty knowledge of how ports work, and I'd like to keep things fairly realistic, although Belfast Port is now one of the major ports in Europe in my layout :-bd

Just my gobblygook I meant using two rakes of wagons with different containers, so a train did not arrive and depart with the same containers. The Harland & Wolff shipyard cranes would be an excellent backdrop.

Just my gobblygook I meant using two rakes of wagons with different containers, so a train did not arrive and depart with the same containers. The Harland & Wolff shipyard cranes would be an excellent backdrop.

Yeah, they'll have to feature! And I have no shortage of containers thanks to Richie!

• 2 months later...

Great to see that you have reached this stage Vincent. It's very satisfying to see locos under power as it really spurs you on to the next stage. If there are any frustrating days, keep that hammer out of sight. I've said it before, I love 112 and 220 and I am delighted that PM chose both these locos for release.

Rich,

Great to see that you have reached this stage Vincent. It's very satisfying to see locos under power as it really spurs you on to the next stage. If there are any frustrating days, keep that hammer out of sight. I've said it before, I love 112 and 220 and I am delighted that PM chose both these locos for release.

Rich,

Thanks Rich! Pleased that I've finally reached that stage, can't wait for DCC sound! I love them both, got to say that in my opinion 112 is the best Irish railway modelling piece ever produced. Just stunning level of detail.

nothing wrong with the pics vincent and the thread is a real inspiration! best of luck with it and kep the pics comming. great to see the mk 3's and that jenny.....pity the real things are being smashed up as we speak:((

Cheers heirflick! Now the scenery work will begin!

Also, if anyone has any tips about concreting the freight yard that would be great, total novice here!

Glad to see you are making a bit of progress 201bhoy,the photo's give a good idea of what is to come,well done.With regard concreting the freight yard,check out Kirley's latest work on his thread,I am sure he will be able tell you how that has turned out.