North Wall/ Port Thuaidh

Rate this topic

201bhoy

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decide on whether to change to an NIR layout or stick with the IE! The track plan would be the exact same and if would involve a newly built fictitious line out to Belfast port and a new freight flow to Derry and Belfast from different locations down south. Not many people model the NIR scene so it would be something different, but the down side is that there isn't much NIR stock out there other than MM 208 and MM 112. I'd probably need at least one CAF set :( a rake of gatwicks would also be nice :)

...but the down side is that there isn't much NIR stock out there other than MM 208 and MM 112.

That applies to modelling either side of the border. Unless you have a pot of gold, you're gonna have to bash,scratch, and spray to get the stock you need. That is the most frustrating and at the same time satisfying part of modelling railways on this island!

Perhaps you could reinvent one of the obsolete stations in Newry like Edward Street or nearby at Adavoyle, giving you the excuse to run both stock types?

As well as the current 071's in NIR, and the forthcoming 201 (hopefully), you've got C Class from Silverfox (NIR 106 / ex CIE 227) as well as the Class 70 repaint giving you a decent CAF 3k/4k.

Gatwick stock is a repaint, and there are lovely DD options now, that can run behind any 201 class...

That applies to modelling either side of the border. Unless you have a pot of gold, you're gonna have to bash,scratch, and spray to get the stock you need. That is the most frustrating and at the same time satisfying part of modelling railways on this island!

Perhaps you could reinvent one of the obsolete stations in Newry like Edward Street or nearby at Adavoyle, giving you the excuse to run both stock types?

If I was going to be doing an NIR layout, it would be Belfast port. I think it would make quite a nice fictitious layout, with the m2/m3 bridge making a scenic break to hide the fiddle yard! But now that I come to think of it, there isn't that much that I'd nee... most of if not all of the locos for the freight trains were provided by IE I think, although I may be wrong... so if I had 208 and 112, a rake of gatwicks, maybe in sometime a class 3000/4000 repaint as UP suggested, and NIR signs and buildings, then I think I could preserve an NIR feel to the layout!

there are lovely DD options now, that can run behind any 201 class...

Lovely EXPENSIVE DD options now! But yes, I think I might have to get a 5 car rake at some point in time, they're too gorgeous to leave out! I could extend the enterprise line, or have one or two trains a day departing Belfast Harbour for Dublin.

As well as the current 071's in NIR, and the forthcoming 201 (hopefully), you've got C Class from Silverfox (NIR 106 / ex CIE 227) as well as the Class 70 repaint giving you a decent CAF 3k/4k.

Gatwick stock is a repaint, and there are lovely DD options now, that can run behind any 201 class...

Don't forget Stephen that Silverfox also do the Hunslet now and Chris Dyer will soon also have the full range of NIR coaches in all liveries from the 1970's enterprise right up to the Gatwicks.

Don't forget Stephen that Silverfox also do the Hunslet now and Chris Dyer will soon also have the full range of NIR coaches in all liveries from the 1970's enterprise right up to the Gatwicks.

That's brilliant Anto! I'll buy a rake of Gatwicks when they come around!

Guest hidden-agenda
If I was going to be doing an NIR layout, it would be Belfast port. I think it would make quite a nice fictitious layout, with the m2/m3 bridge making a scenic break to hide the fiddle yard! But now that I come to think of it, there isn't that much that I'd nee... most of if not all of the locos for the freight trains were provided by IE I think, although I may be wrong... so if I had 208 and 112, a rake of gatwicks, maybe in sometime a class 3000/4000 repaint as UP suggested, and NIR signs and buildings, then I think I could preserve an NIR feel to the layout!

Its funny you mention the port as i was down in the old Stena line terminal car park before Xmas and there is some trackwork and points visible along the quay side, and remember there was track work into Duncrue street .

Its funny you mention the port as i was down in the old Stena line terminal car park before Xmas and there is some trackwork and points visible along the quay side, and remember there was track work into Duncrue street .

It's funny you mention that! I was on Duncrue street yesterday and I saw some trackwork which I never knew about!

With funding from Europe,NIR will open a new line from Central to Belfast port,to tap into much needed freight revenue,which with a reverse from years gone by they hope to move containers to all parts of Ireland.A new station will also be built beside the ferry terminal to meet the booming tourist trade and will be served by modern railcars on a regularly basis to move passengers to their destinations quickly and efficiently,with connections to all cross border services.

Fact or fiction,its all in the mind,but you have the power to decide!

Ok! I'm going to go with the NIR plan! In the year of 2006, EU funded the building of a new line out to Belfast port. The plan included a new 3 platform station and a small, busy freight yard. Instead of scrapping the mk3s, IE decided to keep them, and use them for new services from Belfast to Rosslare, Cork, Galway and Limerick. NIR have introduced a new half-hourly service to Derry. The gatwicks have been reintroduced and now operate an hourly non-stop service to Derry. NIR have also bought the IE Galway rake so they could have two rakes of mk2s for the express service to Derry. There are new freight flows, such as new liner services to Ballina, Dublin, Cork and the newly opened new deep water port at Foynes! There is also a cement silo, and there are daily trains between Platin and Belfast. And finally, the port is used as a stabing point overnight for the newly reintroduced Derry-Waterford timber train!

Right. The new new fleet!

Locos

Murphy Models 220 (got)

Murphy Models 208

Murphy Models 112 (got)

Murphy Models 082

Murphy Models 177 (got)

Murphy Models 171

Class 3000 or 4000 repaint

Coaches

5 coach rake of mk3s (got)

5 coach rake of galway mk2s (need gen van and restaurant coach)

5 coach rake of gatwicks

Wagons

5 dapol model shop pocket wagons

4 of hiddenagenda's container flats

a few cement bubbles

a few timber wagons

I'm gonna be busy saving up!

On a thing like that, the port area might also have a lot of office space all round it on newly developed land, generating commuter services in and out from Portadown, and also there could be something loaded or unloaded of an Alexandra Road - esque quay tramway, operated by 111 and 112 (or 888888888111 and 800000000112)!! IE could re-introduce freight flows to Belfast, operating between North Wall or Dundalk and Belfast Port......

On a thing like that, the port area might also have a lot of office space all round it on newly developed land, generating commuter services in and out from Portadown, and also there could be something loaded or unloaded of an Alexandra Road - esque quay tramway, operated by 111 and 112 (or 888888888111 and 800000000112)!! IE could re-introduce freight flows to Belfast, operating between North Wall or Dundalk and Belfast Port......

Yes, that's what I'm planning! Although I think IE normally provided the locos for the freight train, if I remember correctly. But I'm planning to have the whole freight yard concreted over for lorry access. I'll have to have the sea visible somewhere on the backscene, but I'm not sure where...

Wagons

5 dapol model shop pocket wagons

4 of hiddenagenda's container flats

a few cement bubbles

a few timber wagons

I'm gonna be busy saving up!

You could try and scratch build some of those wagons it would be much cheaper and you have the satisfaction of having something you've built you're self:tumbsup:

Shapeways are doing a pack of 6 of cement bubbles for €52, you can get a Dapol chassis cheap enough. Much cheaper than buying them complete. Also Studio Scale models do a detailing pack for them.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/52807/6-pack-cie-bulk-quot-bubble-quot-cement-tank-n-scale.html?li=productBox-search

Those bubbles are N gauge Dave unless the designer has made them available in 00.

Rich,

• 3 months later...
NIR Layout.jpg Changed the plan a bit as I wanted to make more use of the massive crane Richie's building me by having three tracks under it! Also enables to have a small maintenance depot and a little siding for loco or dmu stabling. I'll be getting the controller soon and scenery work will start this summer. Just can't really believe how little has happened since this time last year, very depressing! But can't wait to finally get some trains running!

For an 8x4 space available that layout plan looks very good.As a suggestion,if you have the room,to add to the operating potential,a head shunt coming off your 3 lines to the container yard would be a bonus.All you need do would be to replace the first point to the container yard with a double slip.Look forward to your progress in the coming months

Vincent, i think hunslet 102c makes a great point - no pun intended.:o. It might add a bit more operational fun to what you have. Also, I think you might need to update your plan to reflect the size of the crane though. It's 352mm wide. And will need rails on either side to move on. R .