North Wall/ Port Thuaidh

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Cheers lads! One depressing thing is that unlike you, Boskonay, i've barely got any Irish stock. I have to get a full rake of mk3s, mk2 generator van and restaurant coach, at least one more 201, another 141, obviously an 071 and a 121 when they come out, AND all the freight stock!

Oh I know how it feels to want such locos!

I'd love to see a model 071 hauling dfds or timber.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was putting down the track today, I changed the design slightly as I thought my runaround loop was too small. I added a small loco stabling/ re-fueling point as well as changing the runaround loop.

After arriving, the loco can either propel it's train back into the tunnel, and run around it's train in the fiddle yard, or, if the fiddle yard is full, a station pilot, probably a 141, will release the loco. The loco can shunt in the freight yard or refuel :)

Edited bay platform layout.jpg

Edited bay platform layout.jpg

I've nearly got the right half of the layout's track put down :) I tried my hand at ballasting for the first time in the loco stabling point. I think I used too much, but I don't really mind as it's meant to look kind of old and unkempt. Will put a few pics up later!

Edited by 201bhoy

As it's North Wall, will you not need a container ship too? http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/10_20/products_id/366

Not a bad price to be fair! ;)

Well, it's not actually North Wall anymore, but it is still a port! More like Rosslare though... Still don't know how to change the title of the thread :) I would consider a ship, but at the moment the sea and ships will just be shown as a back scene :)

Here's a few photos of how the layout's progressing :D

My first attempt at ballasting. I think I used too much but it's not the most crucial part of the layout so I don't mind that much.

220 idles in the siding while 177 goes past light engine

177 takes a break

If yous have any tips please say :)

177.JPG

220 and 177.JPG

Ballasting.JPG

177.JPG

220 and 177.JPG

Ballasting.JPG

You're flying Vincent. It's great to see this whole project coming together from planing to laying of track and scenics. Keep us posted and well done =D.

Rich,

Thanks very much Rich will do :D By the way do you think I used too much ballast?

• 2 months later...

Got some containers off Glenderg yesterday and just made a kind of backscene with them today... beautiful! I know this isn't really to do with the layout but they will feature a lot and I wasn't sure where to put this. Sorry about about poor camera quality, doesn't really do them justice!

220 containers 2.jpeg

220 containers.jpeg

177 containers.jpeg

220 containers 2.jpeg

220 containers.jpeg

177 containers.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, I should have got way more of it done by now, but exams are over Wednesday and I can devote a lot more time to it now! I just couldn't work in the garage, it was horrible!

I hear ya... I have the attic for mine. No insulation or walls... My layout is on hold until these minor details are rectified! Nice shipping containers by the way. They make an excellent backdrop for a container yard. Good stuff :-bd