Gort workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

Gort goods shed nearly finished, skylight windows in, gutters, doors, just downpipes left and some gentle weathering done today. Will have to have another look at it tomorrow in natural daylight before adjusting. But its getting near the end.

IMG_9575.jpg

Water tower got a little aging done

IMG_9579.jpg

• Like 10
  • WOW! 3

5 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Which fonts? I found one which looks OK, called "Bunchlo". Of your two, the top one looks most accurate, and of course the English-language name would all be in capitals.

The two I've trued were are IrishUncialfabeta-Bold and MeathFLF. The former looks more like GSWR style.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 12:12 PM, Billycan said:

Noel, did you ever considered using Photoshop or similar to photocraft a replica image of the board shown in this photo?

268528262_2021_03_0217_21OfficeLens.jpg.da61002b39657f6c8da151ee4985cc93.jpg1337994588_2021_03_0217_24OfficeLens.jpg.c3771787dbcaa31ce7919e4e50d9b07c.jpg

I Mean This is as far as two seconds in office lense got me. Might do something like this for with a but of Sprucening of the images for my layouts in the future or of course buy SSM signs

• Like 1

Might need a few tulips or roses to brighten these bedding plants up a little or a touch of blue. Just some filing left to do. These will make platform beds.

IMG_9840.jpg

The more I continue with this very enjoyable project and the more I look at photos the more I see what has yet to be done and the list becomes like ever expanding foam to infinity. :)

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2021 at 5:26 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

268528262_2021_03_0217_21OfficeLens.jpg.da61002b39657f6c8da151ee4985cc93.jpg1337994588_2021_03_0217_24OfficeLens.jpg.c3771787dbcaa31ce7919e4e50d9b07c.jpg

I Mean This is as far as two seconds in office lense got me. Might do something like this for with a but of Sprucening of the images for my layouts in the future or of course buy SSM signs

I deliberately took that top pic in 1975 (I think) exactly for that purpose - modelling GSR enamel signs!

24 minutes ago, Noel said:

Doing some trials on rejected platform sections trying out different surfaces. Gort had a sort of aggregate chipping for a surface (1 inch down). Will judge in the morning after the PVA has dried overnight.

IMG_9850.thumb.jpg.a8b2be8342124dd4806ef1fba3f920f8.jpg

From memory of walking on that very platform (when I was taking pics of the sign!), the gravel was about an inch diameter. Gravel platforms were very common in rural locations.

• Informative 2

5 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Was Gort one of the last stations to retain its GSR sign?

When it closed in 1976, it and Ardrahan still had one. I'm not sure about Craughwell.

Mallow retained GSR signs quite late on, and GSR enamel footbridge signs were certainly in Carrick-on-Suir until the last couple of years at least. A painted-on version at Cherryville Junction was also still extant until quite recently.

Though closed to passenger traffic, the first time I traversed the Foynes branch, probably about 1978, Patrickswell and Ballingrane still had GSR enamel station nameboards, and possibly a few other places - despite not seeing a passenger train since 1963. I've a vague notion that there were a few on the Sligo line well into the 1970s, but I could be wrong.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Started on the cattle dock pens. Used recycled fencing from my original attic layout built in 1973. When we left that house I pulled as much off the layout as possible and boxed it up, still finding useful bits from those boxes these days. Assembled a little yard crane earlier which will be mounted on the goods dock just outside the goods shed.

IMG_9908.jpg

• Like 6

Yard crane installed on the loading dock of Gort goods yard. Wills kit. Decided against attempting scratch build because of the large gear wheel and hook. Pretty impossible to cut by hand to any decent accuracy. Happy with this little Peco/Wills kit. Just had to make up a mount so that it could swivil freely. Provincial wagons Bullied open beet wagon in the loading dock.

IMG_9975.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

DCC dropper board kits assembled for Gort. These boards are daisy chained together for form the DCC bus and each board can feed 8 pairs of droppers. There's alternative components such as LEDs as documented on the MERG website (eg for short circuit detection, etc).

IMG_0234.jpg

These are kits produced by WMRC's DCC electronics and MERG whiz, @Junctionmad(Dave)

DMcCDCCDroppers.jpg

Easy to solder no risk of creating shorts due to the space available.

IMG_0231.jpg

http://bit.ly/3bsELCV

• Informative 1

• 3 months later...

I needed a line side hut on Gort. Temporarily I used an old airfix shed that was part of their loco shed kit, but its time to make a plate layers line side hut for Gort.

1) make a kit

IMG_1827.JPG

2. Assemble it

IMG_1829.JPG

3. Prime it

IMG_1831.JPG

4. Test it in situ before decoration

IMG_1830.JPG

The corrugates roof will have to be somewhat rusted

These endless little tasks needed to add some character to Gort Model railway

• Like 3

5 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Very nice piece of work Noel, are going to put a chimney on it, keep the plate layer warm during the winter months...😙

Paul

Hi Paul. Thanks but no chimney, its just a line side storage and tool shed used by plate layers, not really for human use, so no stove nor brazier in there and no windows needed. 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Double sided tape failures despite the painted underside of the baseboard, so restuck the cable keeps with the aid of a hot glue gun. Also had to add screws secure the Cobalt IP point motors. Glad I discovered this now and not the first time the layout gets transported.

IMG_0917.JPG

The 8 way DCC accessory decoder ADfx8 has no holes in it so double sided tape the recommended option, but not good enough as this heat proved, so used for wide flat headed screws to secure by overlapping the edge of the PCP (not there yet in this photo). The ADfx8 makes wiring point motors super easy as only two wires to each point and it gets its power from the DCC bus. Point motors have short local wires to each point to handle frog polarity switching. The Cobalt system makes this a painless exercise

IMG_0916.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative 1