Gort workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

As these buildings destained for Gort layout, they will not be going on Kingsbridge so I've given them their own thread.

Gort signal box under construction

IMG_8977.jpg

As soon as you start to fabricate sections you realise more detail bits that will be needed (eg window cills, brick window arches, etc). Very therapeutic working on it though (ie once you have a very sharp knife)

IMG_8984.jpg

Waiting now for "Glue'n'Glaze" glue to dry on glazing

IMG_8989.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Patrick Davey said:

Looking good Noel, impressively neat brick corner!  One small question, are the roof tiles maybe a bit overscale? 

Cheers Patrick. Yes they are. After looking at the pic, they struck me a O gauge size. :) They will be replaced.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, David Holman said:

As it is a slate roof, I'd be tempted to use either strips of photocopier paper, snipped every 4mm, or one of the downloaded printed sheets.

Found an alternate embossed sheet

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Taking a break from the signal box, now back to Gort's water tower. Made up a water tank for the tower. Primed and ready for painting after I've finished the doorway.

IMG_9065.jpg

Had to sort of guess the dimensions from distant photographs as no drawings available, but it sort of feels the right size. Might paint the water tank black or dark green.

IMG_9070.jpg

• Like 4

Re making some of Gort's platforms. Using Peco platform edging which I'll cover with embossed stone sheeting on the sides. I wasn't 100% happy with the sides nor the surface finish. I've now put some cobble grip finish under the cattle dock end, and paving at the other end. The rest of Gort's platforms were pebble/grit based (ie 1/2" down). The platform surface is laminated from white styrene card with a layer of embossed card on top to make it the correct thickness for the platform edging pieces. I bought a bulk load of styrene card from a graphic design supply company in Camden street years ago (O'Sullivans I think), they sold large sheets that were about 2ft x 3ft in size very inexpensively.

IMG_9115.jpg

The large 2ft x 3ft sheets of styrene cost about IR£2 twenty years ago. They've proved good value and useful over many years and I still have plenty left for future projects. Buying this stuff in small A4 sheets from model shops is very expensive.  

IMG_9116.jpg

• Like 4

Talcum powder used in 3mm for loose platform surfaces so would have thought it would do for Gort. - and possibly  make it smell nice !!  Chinchila dust in 2mm makes for a fine ballast finish.  Also Das modelling clay laid into a pva coat can work for a natural surface  with just a little texture to suggest it is not tarmac. 

Coming on well and thanks for the update. 

Robert  

• Informative 1

Back to buildings. The ticket office is a strange little building comprised of three elements. This is the facade of the two elements at the northern end. The RHS has a flat roof! The LHS element seems more like a staff room with the ticket office in the central section which has a pitched roof and a chimney. Presumably for the station master. Gort was mainly a goods traffic station rather than pax.

IMG_9153.jpg

• Like 3

A little progress on Gort's 4th building the cottage sized tick office, a strange little building.

IMG_9196.jpg

Laminated embossed sheet with structural sheet behind

IMG_9195.jpg

Stone window surrounds

IMG_9199.jpg

It should blend in a bit when its all painted grey.

IMG_9200.jpg

A strange little building with an open court yard.Lots more to do but fun chipping away at it.

• Like 4

Chipping away slowly with this scratch built Ticket office building for Gort station. Most enjoyable and therapeutic. Lots more to be done, but these two facades were the fiddely bits, the rest is just structure and roof, gutters, windows, etc.

IMG_9219.jpg

• Like 4

Chipping away gradually at the scratch build station house for Gort. 

Started assembling the main structure after each wall had been fabricated independently

IMG_9275.jpg

Flat roof section installed, just the stone capping on the walls next

IMG_9276.jpg

Photo below courtesy of (C) Leslie McAlister. This photo has been particularly helpful in working out some details and dimensions. Really enjoying this scratch building business. Thanks to others who have PM's me here and on RMweb with other photos of Gort. They have been invaluable in guesstimating the dimensions of these unique little buildings.

Gort_Station_building_Leslie.jpg

Prefabricated bits later assembled

IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9219.jpg

Humbrol liquid poly glue has been really easy, convenient and fast to use. It fuses the plastic together immediately 

IMG_9267.jpg

Next up will be the pitched roof and chimney

Edited by Noel
  • Like 8

33 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Hi Noel.

Looking to be one of the hot layout topics on the forum, Looking good and I like tuning in to see the progress.

Thanks George. Opps, I've just spotted something I forgot to do! Will go back over it tomorrow. :) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Have to agree, George - shows what you can do with a bit of patience. Noel - ever tried a twelve road roundhouse?

Hi Leslie,

Eh no, haven't tried that, but I could reverse a tractor and trailer into a 12 road round house without stopping.

Roof trusses done and started the small office building. Corner stones fitted. Endless hours of pottering away is great during lockdown.

IMG_9281.jpg

• Like 5

I can see light at the end of the tunnel. What a small little station building but the more I worked on it I realised the more bits were needed. My eyes are shot after cutting out the half round for the window border cornices. Have fabricated the final parts for the last element of the station house building. Now to assemble it, glaze and paint it.

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9303.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Looking good Noel. It’s really satisfying to build something like that - especially when it shapes up so well!

Hi David. Thank you. Indeed it has been very enjoyable chugging away on these four buildings for Gort. Every time I finish one section I realise there's more detail in those photographs.

Getting the hipped roof right was a bit of a challenge, I've had to learn patience and that the tortoise sometimes beats the hare to the end of some projects. Glad I got the little end building done.

IMG_9308.jpg

Ridge tiles done

IMG_9310.jpg

Rear of building from road side

IMG_9309.jpg

It just about fits on the platform that I cut to shape over a year ago approximating the space for this building. Phew its fits, just.

IMG_9314.jpg

Will enjoy finishing it over the next few days. I know understand why folks like Gareth use glass cutting surface when building plastic models, the poly cement doesn't stick to glass. I've used grease proof paper for the same purpose (ie to avoid sticking to cutting mat).

• Like 4

Main structures complete, just detailing, painting and glazing left

IMG_9317.jpg

Photo (C) Leslie McAlister (Thank you)

Gort_Station_building_Leslie.jpg

The prototype was a curios little building for a station. Mind you Gort was mainly a goods station rather than for passengers

IMG_9319.jpg

Rear of station from car park

IMG_9320.jpg

Nearly lost my eyesight trying to do the door and window carved stone surrounds. Fiddle faddle ! :) 

IMG_9321.jpg

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

Started painting the new buildings. Detailing next and then finish off with a little weathering. But at least Gort now has its four principe buildings made. Only the eastern platform shelter is needed next.

IMG_9333.jpg

Took me a while to mix up a shade I was happy with for the slates

IMG_9334.jpg

When I removed the masking tape covering the capping stones along the roof edges I pulled a strip of the plastic card off!!!

IMG_9335.jpg

• Like 5

Back to start detailing the buildings a bit and a break from the layout. Pending are gutters, door handles, window boxes with bedding plants and a bit of extremely gentle weathering. Not sure how to model bedding plants, might end up using plasticine for colours, or untwisted electrical cable core dipped in sawdust. Or just multicore data cables which are perhaps colourful enough themselves.

IMG_9434.jpg

In case of any interest here's a photo of the internal structure of the building. Outer walls laminated plain plastic sheet covered in embossed dressed stone, some vertical members to aid but joints, and roof trusses to support the hipped roof sections.

IMG_9322.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 7