Dining car on the Rosslare to Cork line

Rate this topic

Wexford70

There is a photo of part of the Boat Train including the dining car 353 arriving in Cork from Cobh on p 11 of Irish Broad Gauge Carriages by Desmond Cookham. The train is in the new GSR Brown and Cream Livery most likely a Cobh-Kingsbridge "American Mail" with three through coaches for Rosslare Harbour.

There is a diagram of the Dining car and other Rosslare express stock in Transport Associates GSWR carriage diagram book, I can scan a copy if you want.

The J Mc Cartney Roberts and R N Clements albums in the IRRS flickr collection contain a lot of photos of pre-amalgamation stock, its worth joining the society for access to the photos without considering the other benefits.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, Mayner said:

There is a diagram of the Dining car and other Rosslare express stock in Transport Associates GSWR carriage diagram book, I can scan a copy if you want.

I would be most grateful.

Are there any interior photos?

I believe this was the first dining car to run in Ireland, is that true?

3 hours ago, Wexford70 said:

Have you any sources you can point me to? 

Would these have run on the Waterford Dungarvan and Lismore line?

Dublin - Cork initially. The GSWR's No. 343 was built in 1898, and very probably DID operate the WDLR route at times; it survived into the early 1960s, even running with AEC railcars as a catering-car intermediate, despite its very antiquated appearance.

The MGWR had their first dining car, No. 1, in 1902.

The GNR(I) were also early off the mark. Not so sure about the BNCR.

Neither the CBSCR or BCDR ever had any dining cars.

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, K801 said:

I was going to try model that coach years ago but gave up and just painted the donor and lived with the 20ft rule lol

image.png.c25519d9cc7423deb1049c19cd640aa3.png

The oul “2ft rule” is our best modelling resource of all, I think!

Reminds me of my black’n’tan painted Mk.1 coach fifty years ago, hauled by a BR 4MT 2.6.4T which, despite a BR crest, was supposed to be a UTA “Jeep”!

• Like 3