Forum Use

Rate this topic

Colin R

On another model website, when you open up "Irish" railway threads, subjects which have been updated but you have not yet read are in bold print, with ones that you're up to date with in ordinary print............ so it's easy to see where new posts or new updates to existing posts are.....

I was interested in the map, too. I must persuade maah ole school buddy in Tennessee, y'all, to add himself (and start an Irish layout, instead of footering about with narrow gauge Mallards and Flying Scotsmen....) Yee-ha.... Come to think of it, I know a guy in Perth, WA, who may also have an interest....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

On another model website, when you open up "Irish" railway threads, subjects which have been updated but you have not yet read are in bold print, with ones that you're up to date with in ordinary print............ so it's easy to see where new posts or new updates to existing posts are.....

I was interested in the map, too. I must persuade maah ole school buddy in Tennessee, y'all, to add himself (and start an Irish layout, instead of footering about with narrow gauge Mallards and Flying Scotsmen....) Yee-ha.... Come to think of it, I know a guy in Perth, WA, who may also have an interest....

The section headings on this forum work very much the same - bold for unread threads.

However, I usually scroll down to "Latest Posts" to get an overview of what has been happening, and to see if IRM have announce RoadLiner trucks yet, but the five posts listed are often all from the same thread.

Hence suggesting that only one post is shown for each of the five most recently active threads, in that section.

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

This forum bolds unread posts too?

15 hours ago, murphaph said:

Yeah I use the latest posts feature  and would much prefer to see latest updated threads there. I am missing a lot of stuff by not clicking into each forum and subforum. If possible in a future update I'd really welcome such a change.

I simply click on "Activity" and scroll through to the point I last logged on, that way I see all postings in that time frame.

• Like 4

Since joining this forum about 2014, I've found it very informative, educational and entertaining. Web based BBs seem on the wane for special interest groups or hobbies who seem to have moved a lot of content to Facebook, but facebook groups lack so many features that a forum like this has, such as threads, search, organisation and structure so that past content can be easily discovered and read. I would say this forum very much provided the impetus, inspiration and knowledge that got me back into the hobby in 2014 after nearly 20 years absence. Outside of special interest groups I don't really like facebook, it can be a time wasting quick sand with too much trivia at times. I have a policy of not using the 'friends' feature unless I actually know somebody and have met them  in the real world so my apologies to anybody who has not got a response from a friends request, its not that I'm being a hermit or rude, or rejecting a connection, its just I don't really use facebook and only friend people I know and have met in person in the real world. Youtube has also been an inspirational tool for leaning stuff, research, and tutorials on how to do all manner of modelling stuff. The beauty of a forum like this is the organisation and retrievability of content in the future, especially for new members. Use the Irish section of RMweb a bit as well. It is wonderful learning from others and I especially enjoy reading the workbench and layout threads, and have learned much from same. The platform this forum is hosted on has been upgraded and tweaked to great advantage over the years. 

• Like 4

This forum is a lot better than when first launched. There wasn't an awful lot to talk about back then but now, with all of the new models of late, there's a lot to keep all of us interested. I wonder if there are any updates regarding the As, haven't heard anything about them since last week.

12 minutes ago, connollystn said:

This forum is a lot better than when first launched. There wasn't an awful lot to talk about back then but now, with all of the new models of late, there's a lot to keep all of us interested. I wonder if there are any updates regarding the As, haven't heard anything about them since last week.

Not a lot happens in a week :)

Per Fran's last post, the assembly is flying, and almost complete, and we're on schedule to leave the factory in about 3-4 weeks time.