Drumkeeran Road - 3 foot gauge

Rate this topic

Galteemore

A request for an Irish layout at a local show has got me thinking, and creating. Desiderata :

The layout has to be small and light

Allow continuous running

Opportunity to try out new techniques.

Irish in gauge ...just couldn’t  bring myself to ignore the gauge issue! 

I decided to try narrow gauge as I’ve been drawn that way of late in recent book purchases.

That just left the  choice of scale/gauge. 7mm is too big for a 2nd layout.

So 4mm ? 12 mm motor bogies etc are rather hard to pick up right now so that’s out.

A chance visit to Shapeways suggested TTn3. 3mm scale, 3’ gauge on 9mm track....

Scenario will be based on one of the 19th century schemes to link the Clogher Valley with the Cavan and Leitrim. Final layout plan awaits decision but it will have a roadside tramway feel, set in Leitrim, with CV/C& L stock mingling. Small station with a hamlet nearby.

Early work includes a small diorama to test ideas and a scratch built wagon. All a bit crude but still getting my eye in. The size comparators may garner some sympathy I hope!  More updates to follow.  

2AA6C701-5669-46DB-8A3E-32DE34F20B4B.jpeg

29C2E9C7-2224-4FF4-AE9D-30616929D0E4.jpeg

13C1B45D-FE16-46B0-A632-3B2BF8541E61.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

• 3 months later...

Ballasting under way. Hopefully impression of a 3’ byway emerging. I had originally been going to use 009 set track throughout but decided on flexible for scenic front half of layout. You can see the transition curve here in the distance as it begins to segue into the set track curve 

46EE1572-1E87-4CD1-A0D0-79E8A6ACC05B.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 2

Thanks everyone. Bit of Bank Holiday spare time means that Drumkeeran Road station is now more or less done..the inspiration from Kiltubrid on the C and L is probably clear !! You can just see the corrugated waiting shelter beyond the station house. The whitewash was done in this way to assist sighting on curves. Various C and L stations were painted various ways, some being white overall, but I liked the distinctive 2-tone Kiltubrid style. The freight siding clearly sees little traffic….

6F8FF9F3-4642-4A03-92D1-E96755B36411.jpeg

F76945AD-CCC1-4911-A133-1D6E3CB294C4.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 11
  • WOW! 1

With the vast bulk of heavy duty scenery now done - mostly set dressing left - it was time to bite the bullet, clean the track and see if trains actually ran after months of blasting the layout with glue, ballast and scenic fibres. Mercifully yes. Although some 3mm scale tree surgeons will be required as ‘Fury’s’ roof was knocked off by a branch - it can be glimpsed lying at the far platform end….The crew have parked their train in the overgrown siding and repaired across the road for a restorative after that shock ! That siding is very handily placed for bringing in kegs of the black liquidation - it may be in use more often than it looks…

4213A524-F5DC-4F6A-A1B3-72A3900ED452.jpeg

22DC4123-AB7E-493F-9AD0-E90D9953440E.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 11
  • WOW! 2

Certainly captures the spirit of the place with the sharp curve and overgrown siding

I had planned to include Kiltubrid on the tramway section of the narrow gauge layout, I managed the sharp curve and bridge but the baseboard was too narrow to fit in the road, railway and Halt Keepers house.

1535105489_IMG_1765-Copy.thumb.jpg.353665b51038ba4eeb32fe89eeaa1e35.jpg

perhaps some day I will get round to building a new scenic section or mini layout incorporating Kiltubrid and Drumcong Post Office the two signature scenes on the Tramway.

Currently I am thinking of a small OO9 layout to replace my N gauge American end-to end layout that has not progressed during the past year or two. I am thinking on a continuous run layout with a Welsh Narrow Gauge theme an excuse to buy a Bachmann WHR Baldwin 590 and Peco slate wagons and dispose of more of my American N gauge stock and locos.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Mayner said:

Certainly captures the spirit of the place with the sharp curve and overgrown siding

I had planned to include Kiltubrid on the tramway section of the narrow gauge layout, I managed the sharp curve and bridge but the baseboard was too narrow to fit in the road, railway and Halt Keepers house.

1535105489_IMG_1765-Copy.thumb.jpg.353665b51038ba4eeb32fe89eeaa1e35.jpg

perhaps some day I will get round to building a new scenic section or mini layout incorporating Kiltubrid and Drumcong Post Office the two signature scenes on the Tramway.

Currently I am thinking of a small OO9 layout to replace my N gauge American end-to end layout that has not progressed during the past year or two. I am thinking on a continuous run layout with a Welsh Narrow Gauge theme an excuse to buy a Bachmann WHR Baldwin 590 and Peco slate wagons and dispose of more of my American N gauge stock and locos.

Excellent idea, John. My brother models 009 and the stuff coming out commercially now is tremendous. Kato tram chassis are incredibly reliable and smooth foundations for a variety of projects too - I have been most impressed by them and there are a number of good almost-Irish 3D prints available to fit them. The other end of the payout is also a Kiltubrid pastiche - with the road/rail bridges and t-junction. 

Edited by Galteemore

Thanks J-mo - it’s all scratch built, using an Alphagraphix card kit as a plan. Card sheet as the core structure,  with plastic stone sheet on top, and corrugated Evergreen for the shelter. Windows are individually added layers of microstrip. Card strips for roof tiles to give layered effect, and etched valances from 3mm Society. 

46 minutes ago, J-Mo Arts said:

I love all the scenic detailing you've added to this layout, it really places the trains in the landscape. The station looks excellent, is it a scratch build or a 3d print? 

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Determined to crack the scenery this w/e, I set to and it’s more or less done. Just a few bicycles and chickens to add….A few Google Earth and drone type views as well as normal level ones are below…..the big job this weekend was clearing the road of all scenic detritus such as stray static grass, and recoating it in paint. As ever, photos reveal more areas needing work! But the show’s a few weeks away yet….

One obvious addition is level crossing signals, inspired by Ballyduff on the Arigna tramway. These are deliberately placed to draw the eye away from the hole in the backscene where the train dives through. So the signals indicate a crossing off-stage. They are old BEC kits, from 3mm Soc 2nd hand shop. The whitewashed gable’s purpose as a sighting aid is clear in some of the views. The cart and horse are another 3mm society kit, tricked out in traditional Irish orange and blue. 

I had originally planned to build this layout with 009 setrack. Looking at the flowing curves, I’m glad I didn’t - the line just seems a little bit more natural with no abrupt bends. The panoramic picture is what the viewing public will see, and shows most clearly that whilst the railway is level, the road really undulates ! 

C761E5B7-33AD-4EFD-8884-4D9574F66F77.jpeg

D12A026E-09DE-452F-989D-C99A61746E51.jpeg

EA23F9F4-D707-428B-8B90-04D7EBAD5D04.jpeg

F905C68E-2E60-4558-B6E3-54B6A6412403.jpeg

AD87CA43-E422-40F2-9D4F-738578915DB3.jpeg

10C5B2CC-21DC-4158-B648-0F670A8592F6.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 5

Excellent work Galteemore. You have captured the 19th century 3' gauge look perfectly. I agree, I love the natural looking flowing curves. The final two panoramic photos are the first time we've seen the overall context, and it looks terrific. I'm sure it will be a big hit at the show. Just as a matter of interest, what width is the layout?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Just as a matter of interest, what width is the layout?

Thanks everyone. Been a nice project in many ways, and learnt lots. Entire board is 4’ by 2’. You can see how the foam insulation board permits contouring a landscape. The pub and corrugated store buildings sit on small raised platforms and the landscape flows around that. The red pen is sitting pretty much where the pub is. You can also see where I used Setrack for the curves leading into the offstage/back scene - just to give a tight radius but with a definite 9” radius rather than my own estimate!

6E381FD8-9E5A-495C-B0CA-06C3E59C7721.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Drumkeeran Road had its show debut today. A nice local show - so local I could leave house at 9 and be home by 5. Layout has performed well with just a few glitches but nothing dramatic. Lovely to meet lots of people who took an intelligent and often informed interest in the layout. A few photos, including a rare passenger working by Blessingbourne…..

39702E36-7FBF-40F8-8EFA-881A98523ACE.jpeg

496D2001-8F72-4B64-B728-B2E7F2D3B216.jpeg

B1160F74-9AA9-4A0A-B4EC-55010305A4CF.jpeg

0BBB6E3A-98F1-4449-AB72-7117C9809623.jpeg

4A110035-BF20-434F-81A0-291A2C091F67.jpeg

76F283CE-992B-4899-AD0D-CACFC19CB5C6.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

• 3 months later...

It was an excellent build, I like the harmony of colour, with the building reflecting the green and yellow tones, and the grey and white reflecting a true building, you should have cut the tip of a cocktail stick for the lightening rod, excellent show layout, you made a eye catching scene with little hardware, often this can lead to it looking a bit sparse but  track to front and well executed old road looked exactly like a sleepy hollow. lovely scene.

Perfect for a show model,quick to pack,not so many bits that light fingered people think they can appropriate some of the detailing.

Edited by Jaz avalley
Wrong colour mentioned
  • Thanks 1