Great british Railway Journeys

Rate this topic

kevrail

Series 4 on Tonight BBC2 at 18.30 Goes to Ireland - Killarney to Cobh

Michael Portillo takes to the tracks once again using his Bradshaw's 'Handbook for Tourists in Great Britain and Ireland' from the Victorian era. Portillo is on a railway journey through the Republic of Ireland travelling from the rugged beauty of County Kerry, across the rural Irish Midlands to end in the city of Galway on the Atlantic coast. In this episode Michael samples nineteenth century foodie delicacies, explores a stunning landscape shot to fame by rails and royals and risks life and limb for the gift of the gab.

Goes to Ireland - Charleville to Waterford Tuesday BBC2 at 18.30

Goes to Ireland - Kilkenny to Athy Wednesday BBC2 at 18.30

Goes to Ireland - Newbridge to Roscrea Thursday BBC2 at 18.30

Goes to Ireland - Athlone to Galway Friday BBC2 at 18.30

For more information http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xgqxy/episodes/guide#b01pw8rt

:banana:

Edited by kevrail

I wonder why they call it great BRITISH railway journeys?? Maybe Portillo wants to reverse 1921 in time for 2021! :-)

Ireland is the second largest of the British Isles - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles - the poor people of the UK are like those of the USA, they only have a word for themselves that accidentally includes those from other countries, too.

I've just watched it and, to be fair to Michael Portillo*, it is really a travel programme on a railway theme, rather than specifically a railway programme - not too bad, really.

*If you had told me twenty years ago that I would ever write that phrase, then I would have had you certified. It is to his credit that someone who was one of the most obnoxious people in British politics has pretty well redeemed himself over the years.

Ballybrophy on Thursday - I may still find him guilty, if he doesn't do that right.

Agreed Broithe but has Ireland so little to offer in the way of Railway History. On watching other programmes in this series he is reknown for stating the obvious. "With the coming of the railway it has changed the town/city etc." It is really a travel programme on a railway theme but i feel they could spend more time on the railway aspect of the programme especially here in Ireland.

Probably a biased view on my part :confused:

Agreed Broithe but has Ireland so little to offer in the way of Railway History. On watching other programmes in this series he is reknown for stating the obvious. "With the coming of the railway it has changed the town/city etc." It is really a travel programme on a railway theme but i feel they could spend more time on the railway aspect of the programme especially here in Ireland.

Probably a biased view on my part :confused:

I don't disagree, really - but it is just a telly programme to be watched by people who would just watch something else, if that was on - sad, though that is.

It's usually a mistake to watch any television programme that is about something that you actually know about yourself.

I don't disagree, really - but it is just a telly programme to be watched by people who would just watch something else, if that was on - sad, though that is.

It's usually a mistake to watch any television programme that is about something that you actually know about yourself.

I had hoped that I would learn a bit more about the Irish Rail network as I don't know a great deal!!

I watched the episode this evening and I enjoyed it. If you're looking for detail about the railways, that is not this shows intention; he is following Bradshaws book of the same title, which isn't a book on railways, but rather a guide on the locations that can be reached by rail and a description of the journeys involved which is what Portillo is doing.

As for 'Great British Railway Journeys' being in Ireland, the book was written in the 1860's as far as I know when Ireland was still very much part of the empire and to be fair these Irish shows are titled 'Great British Railway Journeys visits Ireland', to keep everyone happy :D

Im amazed they didn t spot the Victorian era loco that was in existence in bradshaws day, or the 2 day excursions from Paddington to Killarney. Cork looked quite well in it, IE could have at least gave the cafs a clean for filming. Looking forward to seen the rest of the series.

Those pre WW1 excursions from the UK mainland seem to have been big business for the railways, there to have a serious effort to re-gain the buisiness in the 1920s there is a photo of the GSR tourist train with a highly polished 400 Class 4-6-0 with a uniform rake of GSWR/GSR wooden bodied corridor stock.

The return leg of one of the Killarney excursions was de-railed at Lombardstown one person died and injured taken by train to Cork. The accident had shades of Buttervant in that the train entered a goods loop at speed and the track disintegrated.

*If you had told me twenty years ago that I would ever write that phrase, then I would have had you certified. It is to his credit that someone who was one of the most obnoxious people in British politics has pretty well redeemed himself over the years.

Absolutely agree, you can read my reply here, my opinion hasn't changed http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/reply/53257/Great-British-Railway-Journeys#reply-53257

Regards

hg

I enjoyed the series very much and thought it showed Irish Railways, and the country, in a very good light. Can't be bad for attracting potential British visitors here. The 22ks looked very smart and modern and compared very well with any of the DMU's Michael traveled on in the British part of the series.

I enjoyed the series very much and thought it showed Irish Railways, and the country, in a very good light. Can't be bad for attracting potential British visitors here. The 22ks looked very smart and modern and compared very well with any of the DMU's Michael traveled on in the British part of the series.

Many people that I've made watch it over here have been both surprised at the modernism of the rolling stock and impressed by the lack of unnecessary 'modernisation' of the station buildings...