Limerick Junction circa 1980

Rate this topic

Junctionmad

First draft of the proposed layout , all I need now is 19 by 7 feet !Screenshot 2014-09-16 01.40.12.jpg, comments ( the squares a a foot)

Some compromises, The direct curve is omitted as is the passing loop at mill town, but direct curve trains can be simulated via the fiddle yard. mainline curved approaches to save space.

The engine shed has two many sidings , as the roads were removed in 1969 to facilitate a continuous welding rail setup, there should only be two roads into the shed. not three

The line running by the water tower was mostly removed or lost in the mud by then too.

The scissors is too big, as using the track software it can't create the tighter geometry of the original, but Ill be custom building that and it will look right

Next up is a templot template diagram - OMG. ( and a proper signalling block diagram)

Im not happy with the waterford direction return path, as it effectively blocks the view of the layout , it may be possible to have it drop down into a "channel" out of site of even a tunnel etc ( basically I need it to "disappear")

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Like 1

The software is trax 3 . It's a bit quirky and some of the turnout/point dynamics are a little quirky. I'll be using templot in real life as more then likely I'll be hand building the points.

At this stage it's definitely code 75 bull head , SMP or C&L where visible. ( pity the rail chair bolt design is wrong for GS & WR ) peco 75 for the fiddle yard

The layout will be designed as a DCC layout from the get go.

What I'm going to do now is establish a series of build standards for each major component.,

( a) test track , point construction to OO-SF ( 1mm knuckle , 1.25m check rails )

(B) ballast and weathered track

© turnout operation using servo motors for realistic. Operation , frog switching either by frog juicers or electronic switching

(D) MERG CBus dcc , ( DIY dcc ! ) I've ordered enough to do tests

( e) railcom transponding , allowing automatic control of main line running

(F) operating signals and operating ground signals. (Servos& memory wire)

I'll make a start on modelling the buildings too. I want to establish all these first before any track goes down , ( as I'm only slowly building the stock necessary) . In the past I rushed to track construction , and then found at the end my standards and execution at the end were better then the start and there was always the temptation to start again.

So over the next 6 months I'll be doing track comparisons , test track construction ,ballasting testing dcc , railcom etc

Then when I'm ready the layout will start

I'm aiming at about 2 -3 years to reasonable completion

I try and document as I go

Dave

The software is trax 3 . It's a bit quirky and some of the turnout/point dynamics are a little quirky. I'll be using templot in real life as more then likely I'll be hand building the points.

At this stage it's definitely code 75 bull head , SMP or C&L where visible. ( pity the rail chair bolt design is wrong for GS & WR ) peco 75 for the fiddle yard

The layout will be designed as a DCC layout from the get go.

What I'm going to do now is establish a series of build standards for each major component.,

( a) test track , point construction to OO-SF ( 1mm knuckle , 1.25m check rails )

(B) ballast and weathered track

© turnout operation using servo motors for realistic. Operation , frog switching either by frog juicers or electronic switching

(D) MERG CBus dcc , ( DIY dcc ! ) I've ordered enough to do tests

( e) railcom transponding , allowing automatic control of main line running

(F) operating signals and operating ground signals. (Servos& memory wire)

I'll make a start on modelling the buildings too. I want to establish all these first before any track goes down , ( as I'm only slowly building the stock necessary) . In the past I rushed to track construction , and then found at the end my standards and execution at the end were better then the start and there was always the temptation to start again.

So over the next 6 months I'll be doing track comparisons , test track construction ,ballasting testing dcc , railcom etc

Then when I'm ready the layout will start

I'm aiming at about 2 -3 years to reasonable completion

I try and document as I go

Dave

Great stuff. Can't wait to see this evolve.

Finescale OO with flexible bullhead track seems to be a good compromise for a large operating layout, you time scale to get the layout to a reasonably stage seems ambitious.

Fitting in a layout with a working grade crossing between two main lines is a challenge sneaking the Waterford line around the back seems good idea. The main draw back of the plan for an operations based layout seems to be the rather limited staging, it might be worth while to double the Waterford line from behind the pump house and use it as what the Americans call surround staging to queue trains to go through the Junction.

Besides Limerick-Waterford Mail, Liner, Cement and Fertiliser traffic, Bell Liner, Fertiliser & Quigley Magnesite trains regularly reversed at the Junction enroute between Cork and Waterford a very busy place

Edited by Mayner

Dave

Would the main Dublin-Cork road have been CWR by 1980? I know it was being rolled out around this time. Consider Marcway points too, since its going to be a running layout and you dont want the trackplan/scenery etc ruined by poor running....

Will make for an interesting era too, just around the time of the Buttevant disaster which hastened the withdrawal of wooden bodied stock, not to mention plenty of freight and loco variety

Parts of the main line were CWR , however as of photo evidence in 1980 the up and down line through the staton remained bullhead , with siding laid in lighter flat-bottomed rail

Evidence suggest the up and down were replaced around 85-90 with the typical over ballasting that arose with higher running speeds and modern PWC practice Clearly the height of the main lines rose above the surrounding tracks.

Yes I think centred around 1980 , while a terrible time for cie , was a very interesting period

Reading the 2013 strategic rail review recently shows how the whole freight system has utterly collapsed and in fact is now perilously close to being incapable of recovery ( no locos, no stock , no infrastructure, no people )

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...