CIE Locomotive Grey specification

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

They are British Standard codes, for "Method for tensile testing of metals", and a "Specification for carbon steel forgings above 150 mm ruling section"...O.o

18 B 29 is the colour code, from the BS 4800/5252 Colour Range, and is described as "Raven". Where is she now, would love to throw the RAL cards up against her to get a number. 

Excellent.... and if you look at the wheels in the lower pic, you can see what it looks like when oily.

The upper pic shows a rare thing - what it looked like when clean in working days!

Note the smokebox. It looks much darker, and it is - but this is far from prototypical.  The RPSI correctly painted it grey like the rest of the loco, but because some volunteers simply thought it "didn't look right" (always a fatal mistake in historical accuracy in preservation), they "allowed" it to darken through not polishing it clean.

2 hours ago, Mayner said:

A smoke box will weather differently to the boiler and smoke box cladding as its exposed to direct heat from the smoke from the fire and exhaust steam. So a rusty or burnt smoke box was quite prototypical on a hard worked loco.

'Tis true indeed, prototypically, but in this case the contrast is too great; the rest of the loco looks to clean to match the way the smokebox is.

• 3 months later...

Pretty sure the smokebox on 186 is just painted with matt black high-temperature paint.  Same as all the other Whitehead locos.

I have a RAL swatch book, I'll try and see if I can get a match sometime, though it's difficult as the paint weathers and stains from cleaning (usually the dye in red diesel sometimes used as a degreaser at WDX stains the paint a little).

Edited by FiveFootThree

23 hours ago, FiveFootThree said:

Pretty sure the smokebox on 186 is just painted with matt black high-temperature paint.  Same as all the other Whitehead locos.

I have a RAL swatch book, I'll try and see if I can get a match sometime, though it's difficult as the paint weathers and stains from cleaning (usually the dye in red diesel sometimes used as a degreaser at WDX stains the paint a little).

That's possible, Fivefootthree, and I had wondered myself. When the loco was painted grey at Whitehead some 15 years or so ago, it was correctly painted grey all over. Subsequently, on enquiring why the chimney and smaller kebox looked darker, I was told that since the Whitehead folk thought a grey chimney looked "odd"*, they had allowed it to get darker by not leaning it, whereas they DID clean the rest of the loco.

I would be disappointed to hear that it had actually been repainted black, as this is categorically incorrect. Irish preservation, unlike the U.K. or beyond,  has an unfortunate history of livery inaccuracy, with virtually every preserved coach or wagon, across the RPSI, DCDR and Cultra, in wrong liveries. There are a number of reasons for that; as a one-time carriage restoration volunteer in the RPSI, I can confirm. 

Comparing 186 with other locos would not be relevant;  it's a different livery - indeed, the plain grey is the livery of the vast majority of steam engines. Between the mid 1910s and the early 1960s - half a century almost, grey locos on the island of Ireland outnumbered all the others by about 3 to 1.

186 should be all grey. So should 184 and 461, as these locos were this colour throughout their lives in their current state (though one photo strongly suggests 461 as one of the small number which got a coat of black in its final few years). In current form, 184/6 were entirely grey always.

Lovely model above, Eoin - grey possibly slightly light - however - while the grey used, like all livery colours, remained pretty standard, jhbSenior recalled seeing a J15 or possibly J18 (I can't remember which he told me), being shunted out of the paint shop at Inchicore in a lighter grey, same shade as wagons. Also, when brand new, the loco grey tended to look lighter though it didn't stay that way long!  So your model is in "ex-works" condition.

Hope this is helpful.

Incidentally, Eoin, where did you get those buffer beam numerals? They are absolutely perfect!

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Incidentally, Eoin, where did you get those buffer beam numerals? They are absolutely perfect!

Hi jhb

Their from Des in SSM

In fairness to the chap who recommended Humbrol 27 said it was the starting point he would then weather & dirty it up. We plan to do the same to the J10..... I have been practising;-

1662718186_VMV-05IMAG4064.jpg.45ba74f7d5166173ba7cddb5b93ef22a.jpg

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, murrayec said:

Hi jhb

Their from Des in SSM

In fairness to the chap who recommended Humbrol 27 said it was the starting point he would then weather & dirty it up. We plan to do the same to the J10..... I have been practising;-

1662718186_VMV-05IMAG4064.jpg.45ba74f7d5166173ba7cddb5b93ef22a.jpg

Eoin

That is a lovely little model

• 1 month later...

Finally - a correct paint match for GSR / CIE locomotive grey

Thanks mainly to Roderick of 00 Works, I think we can now be sure of the closest match to what as far as I am aware, is the only surviving original sample (from about 1925 or so) of the loco grey introduced by the GSWR about 1915/8 and continued through GSR days and into CIE, right to the end of steam days in 1963. A remarkable 45 years in use, more or less equalled by CIE's various variations or orange and black 1962-2006.

The model, as many will know, was built in early GSR days (and is "0" coarse scale). The paint on it is original. 

Roderick sent me numerous samples of greys blended from this and that. The piece of plastic seen here against the model has been sprayed with what seems the closest match, and as you can see, it matches in daylight, artificial light, and half-and-half.

Presumably Roderick will now be in a position to sell this paint to anyone who wants to paint a GSR / CIE model.

Naturally, upside-down reproduction of images is a necessity.....!

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

I understand that this will be used as a model for the eagerly-awaited RTR J15. 

I have been trying to find, for ages, the list I got from Bob Clements years and years ago of what classes of locomotive received all-black paint in the 1955-62 period. I just can't find it! Most remained grey, as we all know, but some got lined green or black.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My preference is for the Acrylics also, specifically Vallejo Model Air

Humbrol 27 - Vallejo Model Air 71.047 Grey

Revell 78 - Vallejo Model Air 71.048 Engine Grey

I am proposing to use Vallejo Model Air 71.110 Dark Grey as a base with drops of white mixed in for highlights for my locos.

Hope that helps

Ken

• Informative 1

I'm very impressed by the colour matching and scientific approach to paint composition and so on, as practiced by the likes of Precision Paints (or Phoenix) and others. In terms of acrylic equivalents, I would contact them probably - certainly, I would be well out of my depth in trying advise on this.

I've just been onto Phoenix / Precision with a string of queries, and while I await their reply, I know that I have been very satisfied with their service in the past.

Incidentally, if anyone wants that bit of plastic I show above in a photo of the old O gauge tender, you're welcome to have it - I can post it. Or maybe I'll bring it to the bank holiday weekend show in Raheny and leave it with one of the gentlemen at the ECM Trains or IRM stand.

• Like 1