WARNING! Yet more gloom to spoil your summer.

Rate this topic

summer essentials.JPG

JUST when you think it can't get any worse, headline on the BBC News today. Brace yourselves, there's going to be a shortage of - Garden Furniture, Picnic Baskets & Outdoor Toys.

Nothing to sit on! Nowt to put the butties in! and no Toys to keep the brats er children happy . Well thats it Can't get abroad, Can't have a picnic, Can't even sit in the garden. Back to the man cave for a bit more railway modelling!

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Having said that Ernie, Peco have been running out of track so we may not be out of the woods ourselves! 

I saw that coming and stocked up with the ESSENTIAL essentials early last year. I did have a minor hiccup when planning the afforestation at Drowes River Bridge in that I mainly use heather as the base for the trees and my last  forage oop into the hills was over 15 years ago and I have now used up the stock pile. In the meantime the local farmers have burned off the heather and replaced it with grass so this time I had to hike a further couple of miles before I came across a patch.

There's a global shortage of timber. I went to get a couple of sheets of OSB for an unrelated project and found the first two DIY superstores I went to had none of any shape or size left. The third place was clearly running out too.

A friend told me there were problems with the Canadian harvest and the Russians are refusing to sell rough timber to the Chinese any more. They want to do the processing in Russian sawmills now.

The Chinese think it's cheaper to buy European logs and process them themselves!

Normally European timber is the most expensive as we just don't have that much of it compared to North America and Russia.

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I saw that coming and stocked up with the ESSENTIAL essentials early last year. I did have a minor hiccup when planning the afforestation at Drowes River Bridge in that I mainly use heather as the base for the trees and my last  forage oop into the hills was over 15 years ago and I have now used up the stock pile. In the meantime the local farmers have burned off the heather and replaced it with grass so this time I had to hike a further couple of miles before I came across a patch.

"local farmers have burned off the heather and replaced it with grass" = Greedy Bastards.

This Practice has to stop.

• Funny 1

In New Zealand the timber processing industry is basically rationing timber supplies to construction, basically because the same companies cut "surplus" capacity during the 10 years following GFC and focused on exporting logs to China.

The timber supply situation and the shortage of trades people is not exactly helping a housing availability and affordability crisis which is not dissimilar to Ireland's

The cost of wood here in the US has gone up a lot, you can add at least $20 to a sheet of Plywood 3/4 inch thick, you are looking at something in the region of 40-50% increase on the costs from what I have seen in the hardware stores. 

25 minutes ago, mmie353 said:

The cost of wood here in the US has gone up a lot, you can add at least $20 to a sheet of Plywood 3/4 inch thick, you are looking at something in the region of 40-50% increase on the costs from what I have seen in the hardware stores. 

Not to mention the very limited stocks and choice of product in every store. 

7 hours ago, murphaph said:

There's a global shortage of timber. I went to get a couple of sheets of OSB for an unrelated project and found the first two DIY superstores I went to had none of any shape or size left. The third place was clearly running out too.

A friend told me there were problems with the Canadian harvest and the Russians are refusing to sell rough timber to the Chinese any more. They want to do the processing in Russian sawmills now.

The Chinese think it's cheaper to buy European logs and process them themselves!

Normally European timber is the most expensive as we just don't have that much of it compared to North America and Russia.

Here they're having trouble harvesting here because people are objecting to cutting down all the nice trees, but also moaning they can't get timber products at their local merchant!