So what was the proposed E class Loco? more details please

Rate this topic

Colin R

56 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Hi guys I am biting so what was this mysterious proposed Irish loco?

Colin

It seems to be an issue of the odd use of a comma, when the Q Kits list has been separated by full stops elsewhere - the unbuilt proposed loco was not an Irish thing at all...

• Like 2

While everything Irish is welcome, I personally hope that's not the next offering. We won't have any say on the matter, that's long decided. I'd be far more interested in what it's shunting, with those then yes, I'd be all for an E class then.

IRM seem disinclined to  produce what cannot be physically measured. The Chaldron wagon by Accurascale is probably the oldest item they have produced, some extant examples in preservation just like a couple of E class at DCDR so its definitely a potential.

We're pretty much into November so maybe an IRM announcement soon, there were a couple promised as I recall. Of course with all the production and logistics issues, the announcement may lag if IRM cannot deliver within the preferred time frame but we will see (there were some extra boxes as I recall)

Edited by DiveController
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, DiveController said:

While everything Irish is welcome, I personally hope that's not the next offering. We won't have any say on the matter, that's long decided. I'd be far more interested in what it's shunting, with those then yes, I'd be all for an E class then.

IRM seem disinclined to  produce what cannot be physically measured. The Chaldron wagon by Accurascale is probably the oldest item they have produced, some extant examples in preservation just like a couple of E class at DCDR so its definitely a potential.

We're pretty much into November so maybe an IRM announcement soon, there were a couple promised as I recall. Of course with all the production and logistics issues, the announcement may lag if IRM cannot deliver within the preferred time frame but we will see 

I would’ve thought if people wanted a diesel shunter the G class would be more popular? (Haven’t a clue, silver fox versions will suffice for those who want one) ids say we’re a LONG way from IRM producing a shunting locomotive. There is much more popular stuff to do first!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Garfield said:

Nothing particularly mysterious about them... :D

CIE's 'standard' Maybach-powered shunters:

E401 Class

E402 - Dublin Heuston

And E421 Class

IR011-E431 Dublin Heuston

Two of the latter type are preserved at Downpatrick, while a third is on static display at Dunsandle.

I would have loved to have seen them in service. 

8 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi guys I am biting so what was this mysterious proposed Irish loco?

Colin

I think the mystery was more that nobody ever seemed to have seen one of the E kits, as opposed to the well known A class! Mayner has answered this on another thread.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

May be it is me but the advert was for a super deltic loco, so is the E model that was produced supposed to be  a copy of the prototype but with a deltic engine inside? I guess we shall never know, it sure does not help the modellers/historians when something like this red herring comes along.

The other thing is was the deltic E class going to be a bogie style locos for CIE? but the need for a shunter was more pressing so that came next?

Over on the UK they produced more prototype's than anyone else, I think some worked and went on to form the basis of more successful BR loco classes while others where just scrapped, the BR deltic had at least three variations that I know of the main fleet (Class 55) the Baby Deltic (Class 23) and a couple of prototypes the one in the NRM and DP2 (she has been scrapped after a major accident) but her parts went on to help build the class 50 locos.

So this brings me back to my question. Did English Electric produce a set of drawings for a co-co style locos for the CIE based on the experience of the BR class 55 I wonder? 

see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_50

Colin

Colin, it’s just bad typesetting by the advertiser. All the Irish locos are prefaced by bold type, thus CIE. Unfortunately, BR classes are freely mixed in the list. This is simply a planned UK ‘superdeltic’ - class 51 - which never came to pass. The Irish kit was an E pure and simple.

.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_unbuilt_locomotive_classes 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Colin, it’s just bad typesetting by the advertiser. All the Irish locos are prefaced by bold type, thus CIE. Unfortunately, BR classes are freely mixed in the list. This is simply a planned UK ‘superdeltic’ - class 51 - which never came to pass. The Irish kit was an E pure and simple.

.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_Rail_unbuilt_locomotive_classes 

Thanks Galteemore, that make a lot more sense.

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R
  • Thanks 1