CIE 35 ton steam crane

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

I came across this image -The CIE 35 ton steam crane (made by Cowans Sheldon) at work in Navan station.

This was during relaying to accommodate the running of trains to the Tara mines

CIE35TonSteamTrainImageCopyrightAlbertBridge.jpg

CopyrightAlbertBridge

Wondering when it was decommissioned, any other information on it and if anyone has modeled it?

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

.thanks kirley for the info. the 75 tonner looks so similar to our 35, where would the difference be...the engine or the rigging?

Looking at a picture of the 30 ton it appears to be both a shorter jib and a smaller engine housing plus the loss of a pony truck as you modelled it.

CowansSheldon30-tondiesel-mechanicalcraneADRC96100atCarnforthMarch2008.jpg

Here’s a challenge for any Modeller:

Dr. Geoff Bunza demonstrates the HO scale Athearn steam railroad crane model he brought to life using a DCC sound decoder, micro motors and relays.

Here’s the video – it’s very good if you can get it to play for you.

I see this month’s Model Rail has an article on updating a Hornby Breakdown Train

Hi guys, I was looking on google on something way off topic and this popped up....

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20G/Gormanston/IrishRailwayStations.html#Gormanston_20110406_001_CC_JA.jpg

I hope this helps,

Tony.

Edited by Garfield
Please do not upload/attach images from other sites unless you have the permission of the copyright holder.

Comments by Blaine & Waffles are correct. The yellow ones were ex-BR. I think there were two, and they were intended to replace the old MGWR and GSWR ones. I think the one plinthed at Mallow is an ex-BR one but I could be wrong - it might be the GSWR one.

As stated, the NCC one is on the DCDR and the GNR one is at Whitehead.

The BR ones were quite different in detail from any if the Irish ones. For a start, they were much newer!