CIE 35 ton steam crane

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

I came across this image -The CIE 35 ton steam crane (made by Cowans Sheldon) at work in Navan station.

This was during relaying to accommodate the running of trains to the Tara mines

CIE35TonSteamTrainImageCopyrightAlbertBridge.jpg

CopyrightAlbertBridge

Wondering when it was decommissioned, any other information on it and if anyone has modeled it?

• Answers 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Livery detail: in pre 1980s times, NIR painted the NCC crane standard maroon. The GNR one at least had been painted red by the UTA. Yellow painted PW and maintenance equipment was unknown, apart from a few Cavan & Leitrim ballast wagons many moons earlier!

Prior to UTA, breakdown cranes tended to be quite dark grey or black, not only with the earlier UTA and predecessors, but GNR and CIE as well. At least one CIE one was lighter (wagon) grey in the 60s / 70s.

The NCC one at Downpatrick ended its days with the original (upright and gold-lined) NIR monogram. The GNR one at Whitehead retained its UTA cost of arms (not the red-hand-roundel) on its arrival at Whitehead in the 70s.

That steam crane was named "Dick's Rig" after my grandfather named Richard(Dick) Barrett, I also have a 30 minute video of him and some of his colleagues talking about the steam crane and showing how it worked.

welcome Eric - that video is a must see. can you post it please?

That steam crane was named "Dick's Rig" after my grandfather named Richard(Dick) Barrett, I also have a 30 minute video of him and some of his colleagues talking about the steam crane and showing how it worked.

Hi Eric, welcome to the forms! The steam crane named after your grandfather, does that happen to be the LMS NCC one at dcdr or the IÉ one?

Tony

Josefstadt, one at least was used, I think; possibly the other wasn't. One was in steam, though not doing anything, at Inchicore one time.... I think it was the 1996 open day.

The DCDR wouldn't have been in a position to take another steam crane at the time they were being scrapped due to severe space constraints - thankfully somewhat eased these days! In preservation, as both DCDR and RPSI have found, it's hard to justify exoenditure on steam cranes when apart from money always being tight, the day to day issues of loco, coach and track maintenance must always take priority.... Unfortunately, in over a quarter century of dealing with finances of both outfits, I can't recall a single occasion when it might have been possible to allow a budget for anything other than a quick lick of paint for a crane!

Edited by jhb171achill

Yes, looks like a GSWR one. They had one in Inchicore, and dating from W & L days had one in Limerick. I stand to be corrected, but that's probably the Limerick GSWR one, it's W & L predecessor having been long gone (in 1920, maybe?).

I think someone involved down there removed the axle from the crane jibs and swapped it with the centre axle from the WLWR composite now at halfway!!!