Irish Shunter model

Rate this topic

meathdane

HI all,

Now that I've ordered some provincial wagon bullied opens, my thoughts have wandered to shunting engines, I'm re-imagining my shelf layout to be more of an industrial shunting layout, so I will be in need of a shunting loco. It will be a generic factory setting, not based on anywhere or anything in particular, just for myself to have some fun shunting, but I would like an Irish twist to it. Any loco I choose may get a fictitious private livery, so it does give me a bit of scope for non-prototypical and "what if" liveries. What I do want however, is to take a bit of precedent from reality. Use existing examples as though the company ordered their own shunter/purchased one from another company/CIE 

I've been considering a few options, in both steam and Diesel, as this will be of no fixed era

The Ruston/Sentinel locos, I've caught glance in the forums that some companies purchased similar locomotives here, How close/how much chopping would one require to resemble an Irish variant (re-gauging to 21mm aside, I'll be sticking with standard 00)  

No.3BG "Guinness" at Whitehead has caught my eye. How close are the Hornby 0-4-0 Pecketts to "Guinness"? To my untrained eye they look very close, however I could be well off the mark! I wouldn't mind having a go at the wheel guards "Guinness" originally wore at the brewery as a bit of a modelling challenge for myself.

The most obvious one for steam is the NCC 'Y' Class, which is simply a Fowler Jinty repaint.

For the diesel brigade, it would likely be the Silverfox G class, and that would likely get the BnT livery.

The 'G' class is obviously the most accurate being based on an actual Irish prototype, However i would like some opinions on the feasibility of a Peckett conversion, considering I would be planning to hide the running gear with the guards, would there be much involved? I would like to do this with a relative degree of accuracy, But due to the fictitious nature of the industry and the variability of industrial locos, I do have a little room to play.

Many thanks and Kind Regards,

Dane

Rustons should be pretty ok out of the box, livery dependent obviously. The small Ruston has a match truck supplied with it, which I assume has extra pickups on it. This would greatly assist electrical reliability on a shunting layout. The Guinness locos were fairly modern in appearance by steam standards, whereas some of the Hornby Pecketts have very ornate fittings. Model R3679 is closer but note that the chimney and cab proportions aren’t the same as the Hudswell Clarke style. Add a few skirts and a bell and it would look ok! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Rustons should be pretty ok out of the box, livery dependent obviously. The small Ruston has a match truck supplied with it, which I assume has extra pickups on it. This would greatly assist electrical reliability on a shunting layout. The Guinness locos were fairly modern in appearance by steam standards, whereas some of the Hornby Pecketts have very ornate fittings. Model R3679 is closer but note that the chimney and cab proportions aren’t the same as the Hudswell Clarke style. Add a few skirts and a bell and it would look ok! 

With the Rustons, the wagon does have additional pickups, though I'm planning to use electrofrog points, so hopefully that will nullify the need for the wagon for running

I see what you mean about the difference between the Peckett and Hudswell, i wasn't sure if Peckett was a catch-all term for that style of locomotive (like Mogul), but seeing the two side by side, i can actually see quite a number of differences, the dome for example is a lot flatter on the Hudswell, and the bufferbeams are a different shape to the Peckett, which sits higher on the running plate. That seems to be quite a bit of work to get it closer to the Hudswell, i assume there's no rtr Hudswells in the pipeline, so Ruston it may be, unless theres a 3d body for the Peckett chassis either?

40 minutes ago, meathdane said:

HI all,

Now that I've ordered some provincial wagon bullied opens, my thoughts have wandered to shunting engines, I'm re-imagining my shelf layout to be more of an industrial shunting layout, so I will be in need of a shunting loco. It will be a generic factory setting, not based on anywhere or anything in particular, just for myself to have some fun shunting, but I would like an Irish twist to it. Any loco I choose may get a fictitious private livery, so it does give me a bit of scope for non-prototypical and "what if" liveries. What I do want however, is to take a bit of precedent from reality. Use existing examples as though the company ordered their own shunter/purchased one from another company/CIE 

I've been considering a few options, in both steam and Diesel, as this will be of no fixed era

The Ruston/Sentinel locos, I've caught glance in the forums that some companies purchased similar locomotives here, How close/how much chopping would one require to resemble an Irish variant (re-gauging to 21mm aside, I'll be sticking with standard 00)  

No.3BG "Guinness" at Whitehead has caught my eye. How close are the Hornby 0-4-0 Pecketts to "Guinness"? To my untrained eye they look very close, however I could be well off the mark! I wouldn't mind having a go at the wheel guards "Guinness" originally wore at the brewery as a bit of a modelling challenge for myself.

The most obvious one for steam is the NCC 'Y' Class, which is simply a Fowler Jinty repaint.

For the diesel brigade, it would likely be the Silverfox G class, and that would likely get the BnT livery.

The 'G' class is obviously the most accurate being based on an actual Irish prototype, However i would like some opinions on the feasibility of a Peckett conversion, considering I would be planning to hide the running gear with the guards, would there be much involved? I would like to do this with a relative degree of accuracy, But due to the fictitious nature of the industry and the variability of industrial locos, I do have a little room to play.

Many thanks and Kind Regards,

Dane

There are plenty of other shunting locos that could be achieved. One that comes to my mind is the preserved GSWR no.90, which is do able via the 3d print and an old terrier chassis.

but the Hornby 88ds already looks pretty good without much modification 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

There are plenty of other shunting locos that could be achieved. One that comes to my mind is the preserved GSWR no.90, which is do able via the 3d print and an old terrier chassis.

but the Hornby 88ds already looks pretty good without much modification 

I had forgotten about No.90! Thanks for reminding me!

Just a new coat of paint, a pair of Kadees and off I go? sounds good to me, they seem to be decent little performers all things considered! plus Hornby have managed to squeeze in space for a DCC decoder which is a massive bonus!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, meathdane said:

I had forgotten about No.90! Thanks for reminding me!

Just a new coat of paint, a pair of Kadees and off I go? sounds good to me, they seem to be decent little performers all things considered! plus Hornby have managed to squeeze in space for a DCC decoder which is a massive bonus!

The “rowntree” livery on the ruston 88ds looks pretty good even without modification. Obviously you’d want to repaint anyway. 

869063A5-D497-4806-A5F2-5D347FF93899.jpeg.7b1155b9a3c245d494b8759753bb1c8d.jpeg

these are the prints 

Edited by Westcorkrailway

15 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The “rowntree” livery looks pretty good even without modification. Obviously you’d want to repaint anyway. 

869063A5-D497-4806-A5F2-5D347FF93899.jpeg.7b1155b9a3c245d494b8759753bb1c8d.jpeg

these are the prints 

They look quite good actually!

What are the quality and fit of the prints like onto the Terrier chassis?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

it was supposed to come out last year. Still have not been released i think

The Carlow, Mallow and Thurles Rustons were 88DS locos same as the Hornby model, I don't think the smaller 48DS model was used in Ireland.

The Tuam Ruston was a much larger rod coupled 165DS loco not dissimilar in appearance to the Hornby R30050 Bagnall model https://www.040trainsnmodels.co.nz/product/92914/ and the Tuam loco was painted in what looked like British rail "Rail Blue" I don't remember if it had black and yellow warning stripes like the Hornby Model.

The GSR inherited a Peckett 0-4-0ST "Paddy" from Allman Distillery in Bandon, two large Peckett 0-4-0STs were used at the Courtaulds factory near Carrickfergus and Londonderry Harbour Commissioners used a pair of industrial 0-6-ST for working its dock lines an ancient looking Robert Stephenson 'Coffee Pot" and a modern Avonside both of which are preserved.

Paddy seems to have been similar in size to the Hornby locos but was a more modern loco with less ornate boiler fittings.

The Hornby Peckett 0-4-0 and 0-6-0ST are very nice looking models typical of locos built for industrial use around the turn of the 20th Century and would not look out of place at a medium to large industrial site or private siding such as a port large factory or a mine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The Carlow, Mallow and Thurles Rustons were 88DS locos same as the Hornby model, I don't think the smaller 48DS model was used in Ireland.

The Tuam Ruston was a much larger rod coupled 165DS loco not dissimilar in appearance to the Hornby R30050 Bagnall model https://www.040trainsnmodels.co.nz/product/92914/ and the Tuam loco was painted in what looked like British rail "Rail Blue" I don't remember if it had black and yellow warning stripes like the Hornby Model.

The GSR inherited a Peckett 0-4-0ST "Paddy" from Allman Distillery in Bandon, two large Peckett 0-4-0STs were used at the Courtaulds factory near Carrickfergus and Londonderry Harbour Commissioners used a pair of industrial 0-6-ST for working its dock lines an ancient looking Robert Stephenson 'Coffee Pot" and a modern Avonside both of which are preserved.

Paddy seems to have been similar in size to the Hornby locos but was a more modern loco with less ornate boiler fittings.

The Hornby Peckett 0-4-0 and 0-6-0ST are very nice looking models typical of locos built for industrial use around the turn of the 20th Century and would not look out of place at a medium to large industrial site or private siding such as a port large factory or a mine.

Yes the 165 DS at Tuam had wasp stripes 

I believe that Allmans distillery Bandon loco was still kicking around until 1949

perhaps another loco worth mentioning is the Bachman jinties, if your lucky you came find the murphy models commissioned ones in NCC livery.

31 minutes ago, Mayner said:

No.495 was the Allman distillery shunter, being a regauged 0-4-0 peckett correct? 

Apologies about being hung up on the Peckett idea, I've seen the model running and I must admit I was quite taken by it, but at this stage, I'm just looking for an excuse to add a Peckett to the collection! It might get the wheel guard treatment if that's the case. In my opinion "Guinness" looked smashing with the guards in place, really screams industrial loco to me!

So for the Peckett it would be along the lines of the factory bought the locomotive from Peckett, and following a non fatal incident with a inexperienced yard hand, decided to fit guards to the loco to prevent injuries while non railway trained workers worked in the vicinity of it. Does that sound plausible enough or am I going beyond the realms of plausibility here and going too far astray?

But provided the 88DS is as good a runner as the 48DS (hopefully being just an elongated chassis and body), Id probably go for both!

And No.90 after seeing how well WestCork's model turned out!

The whole reason for me going towards an Irish outline over british was so I wouldn't buy so many locomotives, because in my unlearned ignorance, I didn't think Ireland had so many unique and interesting locomotives, this there wouldn't be as many models! But I'm happy (in a soon to be broke kinda way) that I was wrong!

42 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Yes the 165 DS at Tuam had wasp stripes 

I believe that Allmans distillery Bandon loco was still kicking around until 1949

perhaps another loco worth mentioning is the Bachman jinties, if your lucky you came find the murphy models commissioned ones in NCC livery.

I actually have a Jinty that died a death that I've weathered and removed the motor from to use as a Y class destined for the scrapheap as a siding filler, trying to capture the idea of the death of steam here in Ireland!

Snapchat-746495607.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, meathdane said:

No.495 was the Allman distillery shunter, being a regauged 0-4-0 peckett correct? 

Apologies about being hung up on the Peckett idea, I've seen the model running and I must admit I was quite taken by it, but at this stage, I'm just looking for an excuse to add a Peckett to the collection! It might get the wheel guard treatment if that's the case. In my opinion "Guinness" looked smashing with the guards in place, really screams industrial loco to me!

So for the Peckett it would be along the lines of the factory bought the locomotive from Peckett, and following a non fatal incident with a inexperienced yard hand, decided to fit guards to the loco to prevent injuries while non railway trained workers worked in the vicinity of it. Does that sound plausible enough or am I going beyond the realms of plausibility here and going too far astray?

But provided the 88DS is as good a runner as the 48DS (hopefully being just an elongated chassis and body), Id probably go for both!

And No.90 after seeing how well WestCork's model turned out!

The whole reason for me going towards an Irish outline over british was so I wouldn't buy so many locomotives, because in my unlearned ignorance, I didn't think Ireland had so many unique and interesting locomotives, this there wouldn't be as many models! But I'm happy (in a soon to be broke kinda way) that I was wrong!

I actually have a Jinty that died a death that I've weathered and removed the motor from to use as a Y class destined for the scrapheap as a siding filler, trying to capture the idea of the death of steam here in Ireland!

Snapchat-746495607.jpg

perhaps a look at this thread shows the differences between 495 and an actual pecket

i would (and probably am anyway) get an 88ds. There is about 4 of them preserved, must be one of the most numerous  preserved class in Ireland 

I must stress I did not make that No.90. Those photos belong to the seller of the print mark dunlea. It’s another project I must get around to!

That jinty looks very good, @jhb171achill shared some good photos recently of many NCC locos lined up for scrap and that looks very similar 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

perhaps a look at this thread shows the differences between 495 and an actual pecket

i would (and probably am anyway) get an 88ds. There is about 4 of them preserved, must be one of the most numerous  preserved class in Ireland 

I must stress I did not make that No.90. Those photos belong to the seller of the print mark dunlea. It’s another project I must get around to!

That jinty looks very good, @jhb171achill shared some good photos recently of many NCC locos lined up for scrap and that looks very similar 

Please don't shoot me here, but with a few alterations and removal of some of the more ornate features of a RTR Peckett, I reckon it would have enough of a passing resemblance considering I do want to put a fictitious wheel guard around the loco, as an interim until I build up the skill to build a true kit form Hudswell and Clarke/Bandon 0-4-0

All things considered, it will be a fictitious factory, in a fictitious town with a fictitious locomotive, so it's more of a rule one kind of deal I suppose, drawing from real world inspiration (god that sounds unintentionally snotty but I do genuinely appreciate all the input)

An 88DS, Jinty, G class or No.90 would possibly be far easier and I'll probably end up with all four, because the shunting bug has hit hard! There is that draw to the Peckett, not sure why it's there, possibly because to me, they are the quintessential shunter, who knows! Maybe it's the modelling challenge of making it resemble the Allman, or scratch building the guards. 

I realise I've the attention span of a squirrel, and bounce from topic to topic, but I'm loving this, I've really began to enjoy all this!

Also apologies for the confusion on the No.90 model, my fault for the misunderstanding, Mark has done a superb job on that!

50 minutes ago, meathdane said:

Correct!

Totally plausible, yes.

There was WAAAY less standardisation here than in Britain! Many, many locos here were either one-offs or perhaps one of a pair or a trio; also, even if 20 were built, maybe you go forward fifty years and only two are left, but they'll survive until the end of steam. By far the biggest class here were the GSWR J15s, or which 111 were built - next down, you're looking at classes of 10, 20 or30 engines, and the vast majority are in classes of half a dozen to ten. And then WE look at Britain and see that some 08 shunter, class 47, or black 5 was built in the gazillions! 😉

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Correct!

Totally plausible, yes.

There was WAAAY less standardisation here than in Britain! Many, many locos here were either one-offs or perhaps one of a pair or a trio; also, even if 20 were built, maybe you go forward fifty years and only two are left, but they'll survive until the end of steam. By far the biggest class here were the GSWR J15s, or which 111 were built - next down, you're looking at classes of 10, 20 or30 engines, and the vast majority are in classes of half a dozen to ten. And then WE look at Britain and see that some 08 shunter, class 47, or black 5 was built in the gazillions! 😉

I bow to your knowledge JHB! 

That answer about settles it for me. Off I go to find a Peckett, then the 88DS on release then the Jinty, etc etc etc! 

I've learned more on this forum on the last few months than I ever did in school! I love being around people with such a passion for a subject like yourself JHB, I'm looking forward to my next few years on this forum!

• Like 3

Have you considered the D Class shunter (ecentually Irelands version of the 08 shunter) silverfox make them too, from scratch is also more then possible 

I intend get around to 90 myself….eventually 

Removing detail from a pecket and repainting it is perfect. All of my  Irish rolling stock and Irish steam locos are conversions of British stuff done from scratch 

6EFAD960-6314-4370-B60B-D627D22181D8.thumb.jpeg.69ca691d4c70e97263a550b8ecd009cb.jpeg

25 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

jhb171Senior snapped 495 in the late 1930s in Cork...

img234.jpg

Still had its Peckett-delivery mid-green livery, very badly weathered and faded. the top of the saddle tank almost certainly looked blackish. Thus, the one and only GSR loco not to be grey, other than the three 800 class!

In a very exclusive club! I was suprised to learn how far these little locos lasted into GSR and even CIE days. Another allman distillery bandon shunter Manning waddle no. 299 (bantry) Was going to go to fenit but a MGWR J26 class was put on that work instead. I believe it was withdrawn in 1954 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Have you considered the D Class shunter (ecentually Irelands version of the 08 shunter) silverfox make them too, from scratch is also more then possible 

I intend get around to 90 myself….eventually 

Removing detail from a pecket and repainting it is perfect. All of my  Irish rolling stock and Irish steam locos are conversions of British stuff done from scratch 

6EFAD960-6314-4370-B60B-D627D22181D8.thumb.jpeg.69ca691d4c70e97263a550b8ecd009cb.jpeg

In a very exclusive club! I was suprised to learn how far these little locos lasted into GSR and even CIE days. Another allman distillery bandon shunter Manning waddle no. 299 (bantry) Was going to go to fenit but a MGWR J26 class was put on that work instead. I believe it was withdrawn in 1954 

Thanks for all the replies and help this evening WestCork and JHB! Very much appreciated, I had considered the D class, but I wanted to go a little more outside the box, but the D class is on the radar too, don't worry! 

Bit if a blessing and a curse having to make our own models, a curse in that we can't run our steamers out of the box, but the models are ours and ours alone, like JHB said WAAAY less standardisation than in Britain, so maybe in a sense we're being a little bit prototypical in that fashion 😉

Edited by meathdane
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, meathdane said:

Thanks for all the replies and help this evening WestCork and JHB! Very much appreciated, I had considered the D class, but I wanted to go a little more outside the box, but the D class is on the radar too, don't worry! 

Bit if a blessing and a curse having to make our own models, a curse in that we can't run our steamers out of the box, but the models are ours and ours alone, like JHB said WAAAY less standardisation than in Britain, so maybe in a sense we're being a little bit prototypical in that fashion 😉

Very true! The good news, as a reality, is any amount of prototypes....

Worth adding, as far as British "Jintys" are concerned, only two were ever brought over here, and they had a comparatively short life of some 15 years, all of which was spent shunting Belfast docks. Other than a couple of trial runs on the lokes of the Larne line, they were never used in service as such.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2

And here’s one arriving at the scrapyard. Rather off topic, but the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch 15” line have a loco called ‘The Bug’ which once ran at Belfast Zoo. It also ended up in the scrapyard and was regularly concealed under fresh piles of scrap by a man called Tommy Dorrian, an 8th Army veteran who didn’t want to see it scrapped! Eventually it did escape back to England.

Tommy ended up as an RPSI barman on many rail tours ….sadly these two little locos were too big to hide. Interestingly the scrap yard went to the effort of putting them on rails, which suggests they may have had hopes of selling at some point…,

97D89FE1-E5A7-4DFA-B4A3-94F713BA84C8.jpeg

87CA81CE-FE55-44BA-A948-E1B2B7776A42.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

And here’s one arriving at the scrapyard. Rather off topic, but the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch 15” line have a loco called ‘The Bug’ which once ran at Belfast Zoo. It also ended up in the scrapyard and was regularly concealed under fresh piles of scrap by a man called Tommy Dorrian, an 8th Army veteran who didn’t want to see it scrapped! Eventually it did escape back to England.

Tommy ended up as an RPSI barman on many rail tours ….sadly these two little locos were too big to hide. Interestingly the scrap yard went to the effort of putting them on rails, which suggests they may have had hopes of selling at some point…,

97D89FE1-E5A7-4DFA-B4A3-94F713BA84C8.jpeg

87CA81CE-FE55-44BA-A948-E1B2B7776A42.jpeg

The Bug started life on the RHDR, was sold to a concern in Ireland and then, more recently, returned to the RHDR.

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

Just a note on the Tuam Ruston. It was painted in a lined green livery when in Sugar company service, the BR blue with full wasp stripes was a Westrail repaint.

Edited by MD220
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MD220 said:

Just a note on the Tuam Ruston. It was painted in a lined green livery when in Sugar company service, the BR blue with full wasp stripes was a Westrail repaint.

A lot of Rustons started life with that livery - it was probably a "factory" livery. The restored Carlow one at Whitehead gives a good idea of it. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A lot of Rustons started life with that livery - it was probably a "factory" livery. The restored Carlow one at Whitehead gives a good idea of it. 

I saw in a book that they were then painted in a light (CIE like) green with red buffers. The one at belturbet seems to imitate it 

DA7D2EB0-9E62-4147-A3D1-9DD3AB0E4866.jpeg.3bcabbfc8803ba2f2b867867afd195ad.jpeg

here are some other livery’s  

20E58075-87F8-426F-8497-DC59E93A5B38.png.50ee51afc3920ed3ed460cc4ea551e43.png

the two mallow locomotives in CSE livery. Both were preserved!

DA737412-4C69-479E-98E3-44A53DC30DBA.png.acbe1eb1d3b2c0aad724a211853517a7.png
As delivered Ruston livery, Carlow number 1 whitehead 

• Like 4

There were various local variations as seen in those pics. The Whitehead version only has yellow lining on the cabside and cab end, but is closest to the way MOST were delivered.

Red buffer beams were normal, but red buffers as such most certainly not! One of many "one-offs" or local variations. The Belturbet one is too light a green - but then again, with industrial engines there was rarely any "correct" livery. Those ungainly looking things seem to me to be missing only one thing - a great big clockwork key sticking out of the side of them!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

this came up on a Facebook group “British diesel locomotives”. The 165 DS in CSE livery, G class in CIE black and “westrail” livery E class 

00FA8002-9789-4D05-91C2-F0E27062C320.thumb.jpeg.bb17cea1684aa0bc00fecabb5e8a422b.jpeg

The Tuam 165 was an impressive machine and looks well in CSE green livery. Someone in Westrail had a soft spot for British Railways/BR liveries besides the Blood and Custard coaches, painting the 165DS in Rail Blue. E429 once carried the BR points (arrows of indecision) emblem at Attymon under WISRA ownership. The 165DS was damaged in an arson attack on Tuam Shed at some stage after Westrail ceased operation fortunately E429 and some of the coaching stock survived.

For the more adventurous Judith Edge Kits produce high quality etched kits of both the RH 88DS and 165DS and a kit for the Harland and Woolfe 0-6-0 shunter  https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge.html and High Level Kits a motorising kit for the 88DS. These kits if assembled carefully are likely to run better than and outlast the modern Hornby rtr industrials.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

The Tuam 165 was an impressive machine and looks well in CSE green livery. Someone in Westrail had a soft spot for British Railways/BR liveries besides the Blood and Custard coaches, painting the 165DS in Rail Blue. E429 once carried the BR points (arrows of indecision) emblem at Attymon under WISRA ownership. The 165DS was damaged in an arson attack on Tuam Shed at some stage after Westrail ceased operation fortunately E429 and some of the coaching stock survived.

For the more adventurous Judith Edge Kits produce high quality etched kits of both the RH 88DS and 165DS and a kit for the Harland and Woolfe 0-6-0 shunter  https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge.html and High Level Kits a motorising kit for the 88DS. These kits if assembled carefully are likely to run better than and outlast the modern Hornby rtr industrials.

E429?  Did they have that too? I thought it was 428 & 430 they had at Attymon? Did they get another, or maybe swop 430 for 429?

Yes, now that I think of it - someone with BR sympathies……I can guess who that was….. and I have to say that I thought the laminates looked very well in maroon & cream (though the E and the G looked ridiculous in maroon….) 

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

E429?  Did they have that too? I thought it was 428 & 430 they had at Attymon? Did they get another, or maybe swop 430 for 429?

Yes, now that I think of it - someone with BR sympathies……I can guess who that was….. and I have to say that I thought the laminates looked very well in maroon & cream (though the E and the G looked ridiculous in maroon….) 

My mistake it was E428 430 was scrapped to provide parts for 428, in order to survive WISRA had to change from being a railway preservation society to an excursion train operator where there was no room for sentimentality about prototypical livery.

Its unlikely that CIE marketing and legal people would have been particularly happy with another company infringing on its corporate image by using CIEs logos livery and styling.

Its likely that the RPSI always painted its coaches in a different colour scheme to CIE/IE and NIR stock for much the same reason, the RPSI Laminates originally appeared with green bottom panels to blank out the CIE Tan before re-painting the coaches in a more historic livery.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

The damage must have proved terminal as the 165DS no longer exists. That’s a great shame as it was a small but impressive machine, which would have proved very useful to the likes of the D&CDR.

Stephen

• Like 1