Irish Shunter model

Rate this topic

meathdane

For another source of industrials to fit Hornby chassis check the Railway Mania store. He does a Avonside B4 0-6-0t body to fit the Hornbt Pecket 0-6-0. I believe that was the type that was at Derry docks. I have not built one but they do look rather tasty.

The only downside for me of Irish Modelling is the huge variety, its too easy to feel as if I'm drowning in projects!  :dig:

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

My mistake it was E428 430 was scrapped to provide parts for 428, in order to survive WISRA had to change from being a railway preservation society to an excursion train operator where there was no room for sentimentality about prototypical livery.

Its unlikely that CIE marketing and legal people would have been particularly happy with another company infringing on its corporate image by using CIEs logos livery and styling.

Its likely that the RPSI always painted its coaches in a different colour scheme to CIE/IE and NIR stock for much the same reason, the RPSI Laminates originally appeared with green bottom panels to blank out the CIE Tan before re-painting the coaches in a more historic livery.

Ah, got ye. I was looking at a vid on youtube last night which showed E430 arriving for WISRA at Attymon. Incidentally, a local person in that area last year told me that the locomotive now at Dunsandle (An "E", for those who don't know - E428) was the "steam engine which ran to Loughrea", while another mention of it elsewhere maintains that it was "the first diesel locomotive in Ireland"!

I get the idea of a different image; given that they "morphed" into a rail excursion operation, that's perfectly logical.

Interesting you mention the RPSI carriage liveries. About 15 years ago or more, the then carriage officer had a dream of having all the RPSI stock in a sort of pseudo-"Orient Express" livery, with dark blue and gold lining. Thus was born the controversial all blue livery which eventually was on three Cravens. It seemed to divide opinion as badly as tRump's America; it was either loved or hated. Personally, I was no fan of it, but I said nothing, as said carriage officer would accompany me on Friday evenings to perform the Ancient Ritual of the Imbibulation of Falling-Down Lotion, followed by nocturnal prattlings of utter nonsense in Eddie Rockets over an Atomic Burger........ He obtained RPSI Council approval for his livery at the time, as he was utterly obsessed with rules and regulations and "doing things right"*..... then took umbrage when other volunteers had it changed later to the blue and cream, but that's for another day!

It was he who put about the story that IE wouldn't allow their own livery on preserved stock; this idea was aided and abetted by one senior figure at the time in Inchicore - I believed it myself - but it had absolutely no basis in fact whatever! The idea was, in my colleague's mind, to add weight to his idea for the all-blue livery!  I actually only found out that our CO friend had made that all up just a few years ago when he told me......

Meanwhile at Whitehead, the green scheme was devised. Since none of the carriages ever ran in any UTA or earlier liveries, and some never even ran anywhere in Ireland at all, it was deemed that this be "UTA-esque". The former CO there, plus myself, devised this to look vaguely UTA-ish, but not actually be UTA livery, hence the entirely RPSI-invented style of lettering and lining, but a green pretty much of UTA type.

Meanwhile, the current blue and cream livery on the Cravens is also an entirely new one - it's been suggested it's like the GNR, which is not so. The GNR blue was way darker, and there was no blue above window level. End liveries are different too, as again is lettering.

Thought that might interest some here!

(* And very well ahead of his time on that one, actually, and rightly so; the whole regulatory scene we have today is as he insisted upon back then).

On 14/1/2022 at 9:32 AM, Mayner said:

My mistake it was E428 430 was scrapped to provide parts for 428, in order to survive WISRA had to change from being a railway preservation society to an excursion train operator where there was no room for sentimentality about prototypical livery.

Its unlikely that CIE marketing and legal people would have been particularly happy with another company infringing on its corporate image by using CIEs logos livery and styling.

Its likely that the RPSI always painted its coaches in a different colour scheme to CIE/IE and NIR stock for much the same reason, the RPSI Laminates originally appeared with green bottom panels to blank out the CIE Tan before re-painting the coaches in a more historic livery.

Yep. History repeated itself when we got the first Cravens in 2006, and 1529 and 1539 received lime green below the waist (as IÉ still had Cravens in service). 1539 later got a darker shade (snaps of both below should they be of use to anyone).

Tony, the late Carriage Officer who oversaw the Cravens set renovation, used to joke that he made up the requirement with a (now retired) IÉ officer but based on meetings I was in there was definitely some weight to it.

The "blue and yella" came about via discussion of the stewards and volunteers working on the bodywork, a vote was had and then did it went to board. Idea was to give a contrast with the green liveried heritage set. The blue and cream later came from some others outside the carriage department (incidentally the cream is the same as used by Bord na Móna).

I actually quite like the weird and wonderful preservation era liveries; a model of a laminate set in Westrail livery would look the business. At this stage they're as part of Irish railway history as anything.

Actually, it occurs to me that the GSRPS had their own brown & cream livery too, pity it never got out on the mainline.

july 06 009.jpg

received_1581698608860890.webp

Edited by Niles
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Niles said:

Yep. History repeated itself when we got the first Cravens in 2006, and 1529 and 1539 received lime green below the waist (as IÉ still had Cravens in service). 1539 later got a darker shade (snaps of both below should they be of use to anyone).

Tony, the late Carriage Officer who oversaw the Cravens set renovation, used to joke that he made up the requirement with a (now retired) IÉ officer but based on meetings I was in there was definitely some weight to it.

The "blue and yella" came about via discussion of the stewards and volunteers working on the bodywork, a vote was had and then did it went to board. Idea was to give a contrast with the green liveried heritage set. The blue and cream later came from some others outside the carriage department (incidentally the cream is the same as used by Bord na Móna).

I actually quite like the weird and wonderful preservation era liveries; a model of a laminate set in Westrail livery would look the business. At this stage they're as part of Irish railway history as anything.

Actually, it occurs to me that the GSRPS had their own brown & cream livery too, pity it never got out on the mainline.

july 06 009.jpg

received_1581698608860890.webp

I would have liked to have seen these coaches with even the top orange band completed to make a more consistent but completely fictional livery 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I would have liked to have seen these coaches with even the top orange band completed to make a more consistent but completely fictional livery 

I agree, from memory it was just one of those things we never got around to. I and other brush/sprayer wielders actually considered the idea of early 50s two tone green way down the road when the blues came round for repaint. Sadly those who didn't wield the brushes imposed otherwise. C'est la vie. An interesting speculative model though... 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Same here!

I always thought that green & black would have made more sense than the tan/orange & black livery that came in after the old green livery on the railway proper

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

Same here!

I always thought that green & black would have made more sense than the tan/orange & black livery that came in after the old green livery on the railway proper

Somone will have to photoshop some black and green cravens for us. I wonder would IE object to using orange coaches now? Putting the cravens into there prototype livery 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Somone will have to photoshop some black and green cravens for us. I wonder would IE object to using orange coaches now? Putting the cravens into there prototype livery 

I'm not sure what the situation is now having left a few years ago. I do remember at the time there being hesitation as there's still an association in the public's mind with black and orange as being "diesel" distinct from the steam image. I would guess IÉ no longer have an issue though as it's no longer their own brand.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I wonder would IE object to using orange coaches now? Putting the cravens into there prototype livery 

Its moreso the RPSI stuck in the late 1950's thats the problem, in every aspect. I'm a former working volunteer before anyone thinks I should join to help....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niles said:

I do remember at the time there being hesitation as there's still an association in the public's mind with black and orange as being "diesel" distinct from the steam image.

I suppose that does hold slight truth. My parents would always have associated orange and black with 80s and 90s days of Irish rail. Perhaps nostalgia for those 1980s and 90s could be key if ever the cravens were to go back to prototype livery’s. Cashing in on the nostalgia from that era. The amount of people that remember the GNR and UTA to those who remember the 40ish  years of orange and black liveries down in the south. Nostalgia sells!

unfortunately I’m so young, I can barely remember 141s in service!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I suppose that does hold slight truth. My parents would always have associated orange and black with 80s and 90s days of Irish rail. Perhaps nostalgia for those 1980s and 90s could be key if ever the cravens were to go back to prototype livery’s. Cashing in on the nostalgia from that era. The amount of people that remember the GNR and UTA to those who remember the 40ish  years of orange and black liveries down in the south.

The orange and black in its first iteration goes back to the very tail end of 1962, so us "sixties children" (and "seventies teenagers") will also make the same association!

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

They never actually did object to the RPSI using a "serving" livery - that was an urban myth perpetuated by a single former RPSI volunteer, aided and abetted by a single member of IE staff!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So to round off this topic, because I know somone in the future (maybe myself included) will find this topic again looking for a good small shunter

Ready to run 
00 Works CB&SCR/GSR J24 class

Bachmann/Murphy models NCC jinty

Silverfox G class

Silverfox D class

Small conversion/Re-paint 

Hornby Rustun 88DS - CSE Ruston 

any Jinty - NCC jinty

J72 - gsr J10

Hornby Pecket 0-4-0- GSR 495

3D printing 

GSWR 90 - mark dunlea 

Shapeways E401s/421s

Kit built 

Studio scale models MGWR J26/ E-Class

Worsley works Deutz G611

Judith Edge Ruston 88DS

Judith Edge Ruston 165DS

Judith Edge Harland and Wolf (NCC/UTA 22) 0-6-0 shunter

If I have missed anything please tell me and I’ll edit this post accordingly 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

So to round off this topic, because I know somone in the future (maybe myself included) will find this topic again looking for a good small shunter

Ready to run 

Silverfox G class

Silverfox D class

any Jinty - NCC jinty

J72 - gsr J10

3D printing 

GSWR 90 - mark dunlea 

Shapeways E401s/421s

Kit built 

SSM have other kits too, e.g. a Bandon Tank, 800, and some GNR types.

13 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Ready to run 

Silverfox G class

Silverfox D class

any Jinty - NCC jinty

J72 - gsr J10

3D printing 

GSWR 90 - mark dunlea 

Shapeways E401s/421s

Kit built 

A few more

Judith Edge

Ruston & Hornby 88DS (CSE  Carlow, Mallow. Thurles)

Used with the High Level 23mm  Quad Driver will result in durable model with realistic slow speed running

Ruston & Hornsby 165DS (CSE & Westrail Tuam) Heavy duty diesel shunting loco.

Harland & Wolff 0-6-0 LMS 7057 NCC/UTA 22

Worsley Works 

Duetz G611 Class

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mayner said:

A few more

Judith Edge

Ruston & Hornby 88DS (CSE  Carlow, Mallow. Thurles)

Used with the High Level 23mm  Quad Driver will result in durable model with realistic slow speed running

Ruston & Hornsby 165DS (CSE & Westrail Tuam) Heavy duty diesel shunting loco.

Harland & Wolff 0-6-0 LMS 7057 NCC/UTA 22

Worsley Works 

Duetz G611 Class

Will add them….didn’t know about the JE ones. Harland and wolf one particularly interesting. Are they still in production?

it seems I even forgot the RTR CB&SCR shunter that’s sitting on my desk staring at me

• 9 months later...