6-wheelers derailing

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

17 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

This little yoke has a huge aversion to staying on the rails, and refuses to do so at all if being shunted.

Thoughts?

D6186CF7-74C3-4A37-B126-176AE1BD39F5.jpeg

Brassmasters 6w suspension Unit http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/cleminson_underframe.htm if you can persuade some on to assemble it.

Hornby 6W van Chassis- https://www.ebay.ie/sch/Model-Railroads-Trains-/180250/i.html?_nkw=hornby+palethorpes+sausages

Try removing the center axle and see if it stays on the track. If so try an source a flangeless wheel set.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

We ask our stock to go round ridiculously tight curves. Bogie and four wheelers are usually fine, but six wheels, and indeed longer wheel bases cause problems.

Some sort of flexible chassis is therefore essential. In 7mm scale, the Alphagraphix 'Cleminson' type works a treat. Flangeless centre wheels may go some way to solving the problem, but one of the outer axles may need to rock and/or pivot to go round tighter curves.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Couple of suggestions,first back to back needs to be checked, then put on a proper flat surface, plate glass or something and make sure all the wheels are sitting on the deck,then check that the central axle can float up and down in relation to the outer pair and that no brake gear etc foul the central wheel.When i've built my own 6 wheel chassis i had it with one end with a fixed axle the other on a rocking axle with the central axle free to move up and down in a set of slotted axle guards with a certain amount of lateral movement.hope this helps Andy. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Couple of suggestions,first back to back needs to be checked, then put on a proper flat surface, plate glass or something and make sure all the wheels are sitting on the deck,then check that the central axle can float up and down in relation to the outer pair and that no brake gear etc foul the central wheel.When i've built my own 6 wheel chassis i had it with one end with a fixed axle the other on a rocking axle with the central axle free to move up and down in a set of slotted axle guards with a certain amount of lateral movement.hope this helps Andy. 

I'm thinking that, actually. The thing may not be 101% perfectly level. Also, there are several small undulations in the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one of these that i built myself using a 6w hornby van, the middle axle should slide in and out as the wagon goes around corners..

if thats a silverfox unit it should be the same chassis from my oggling of the photos, the couplers should also turn through corners

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll hopefully get an expert eye over it tomorrow - meantime I am expecting four more six-wheeled vehicles, but given the provenance of the maker of them, I know I won't have any worries.

Anyone have any experience of running the new Hornby six-wheelers?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 2