Four Wheeler Timber wagons

Rate this question

Robert Davies

Question

19 answers to this question

b Waterford 147'145 June 2001 a099

b Waterford 147'145 June 2001 a100

I'm afraid I don't know where you would get any detailed or close up pics. Like the bogie timber wagons, they are just timber retaining frames mounted on 20ft container wagons. So if you could get a pic of a 20ft flat and the frame of the bogie timber wagons that would do just aswell I'd say.

I took some photos of them in Waterford West many years ago Rob. They were taken pre digital era. I will fish them out over the next few days and pm you for address details. I'll post some to you then. I may even still have the negatives if you want to have any resized.

Rich,

Hi Rob,

I'm stuck for space at the moment but I've been slowly building up a stock of Irish Rail models and enjoy scratch building aswell. As I'm on a serious budget I have to work with what I got, but I'm not afraid to give things a go. If they look 'something' like the real thing then I'm happy. So I've started into a rake of 20' timbers, I'm looking to build 12 in total as I have 12 wagon frames that I picked up cheap at a show recently. Each one I build is slightly better than the next and I will keep modifying them until I am satisfied. As you can see they ain't no masterpieces (the frames look like they are off tank wagons, so I might go back and strip back the underframes some more), but I am posting these pic's to encourage others to have a go and show off their work too!

timber 2.jpg

timber 1.jpg

RedRich, do you know when they stopped using the 4w timber wagons in waterford?

GM there was a rake parked up in Waterford East behind the flour mills 5 or 6 years ago but they were withdrawn earlier. There should be dates on the photos I took many years ago so at least it will give an accurate timeframe of when they were running. I have no doubt that one of our members will come up with a more definitive answer in the meantime.

Rich,

Hi Rob,

I'm stuck for space at the moment but I've been slowly building up a stock of Irish Rail models and enjoy scratch building aswell. As I'm on a serious budget I have to work with what I got, but I'm not afraid to give things a go. If they look 'something' like the real thing then I'm happy. So I've started into a rake of 20' timbers, I'm looking to build 12 in total as I have 12 wagon frames that I picked up cheap at a show recently. Each one I build is slightly better than the next and I will keep modifying them until I am satisfied. As you can see they ain't no masterpieces (the frames look like they are off tank wagons, so I might go back and strip back the underframes some more), but I am posting these pic's to encourage others to have a go and show off their work too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4371[/ATTACH]

Dave you are being very modest. You're wagons show the effort it has taken to build them and thank you very much for posting them. They look great.

Rich,

Dear me! I stop off for a little while to watch Mr Eastwood in the 1985 classic 'Pale Rider' and you chaps have been busy!

Rich, no need to go to any expense on my part! A quick scan and email is more than enough!

Ernie, just the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! :)

Dave, looking g-o-o-d! :D

Sincerest thanks chaps!

-Rob

Dear me! I stop off for a little while to watch Mr Eastwood in the 1985 classic 'Pale Rider' and you chaps have been busy!

Rich, no need to go to any expense on my part! A quick scan and email is more than enough!

Ernie, just the kind of thing I was looking for, thanks! :)

Dave, looking g-o-o-d! :D

Sincerest thanks chaps!

-Rob

A good performance from a young Chris Penn in Pale Rider Rob. He did change a lot appearance wise from that movie to Reservoir Dogs. The PC is giving a bit of trouble at the moment, if it isn't sorted in the next week I'll send some pics. Don't worry about postage.

Rich,

The timber traffic ceased in 2001, with services terminating from a range of locations including Galway, Ennis, Millstreet and Killarney and others. Of course the timber did come back again but only using the bogey wagons.

That's that one solved. Thanks very much. There's a great wealth of knowledge on the group and you will always find that someone has the answers.

Rich,

That's that one solved. Thanks very much. There's a great wealth of knowledge on the group and you will always find that someone has the answers.

Rich,

Solved or not, it's one bit of 'history' that may well get 'rewritten' if/when my layout gets built ;) ;)

Along with the shale, cement, gypsum..... etc etc etc

A good performance from a young Chris Penn in Pale Rider Rob. He did change a lot appearance wise from that movie to Reservoir Dogs. The PC is giving a bit of trouble at the moment, if it isn't sorted in the next week I'll send some pics. Don't worry about postage.

Rich,

Rich,

Way off topic for the moment!

I'd no idea that that was a. Chris Penn b. Sean Penn's brother c. He died aged 40 in 2006 d. He would have been four months younger than me.

Back on topic...

There is absolutely NO rush for any of the info/pics/whatever that you have very kindly offered me.

Regards,

-Rob

Hi Rob,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4371[/ATTACH]

I agree with you totally Dave. As I gained experience my earlier attempts were modofied upgraded or recycled, with increasingly better results. My own philosophy is that while I strive to build models as accurate as I can within the confines of my budget and skills, if I'm already compromising using a guage of a little over four foot, if it looks right and captures the atmosphere of the prototype it works for me. Your timber wagons look great and I look forward to seeing more of your work.