Malahide Model Railway Museum

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

I’ll post bits and pieces here from time to time about “what’s on”.

Bit late for many, but if anyone is about tomorrow evening (Thursday) the museum will host a modellers’ “get-together” between 17:00 & 20:00, in which demonstrations of the layout and its highly complex DCC control system will be shown and described. Model maintenance and repair experts will be on hand too, and you are free to view the entire Irish collection of Cyril Fry’s models.

At 8 pm or so, an informal few may adjourn to a local hostelry for pints. See ye there. 

The museum asks me to mention that the €10 entry fee (which includes the whole museum) should be booked online in advance as they’ll have no facility to accept payments after 4.30pm, the normal “last orders” time.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

I'm really disappointed that I didn't spot this - sounds like an excellent evening Jonathan (Gibney's or Duffy's 😀). Might this be repeated at a later date ?.

Regards,

George 

Duffy’s it was; just home. Great oul night and great to meet several more of us IRM website folks. Tim-O, Ironroad and several others whose “handles” I forget; hope to see yiz all again. 

A perfect example this evening of the camaraderie which keeps model folks in touch - excellent night.

You’ve put an idea in my head, George. Some sort of gathering where it’s the museum first, then a bar with food and  pints…. I’ll mull over that idea.

• Like 6

A very interesting and enjoyable evening at the museum, many thanks to yourself and your friends there for putting it on. A pity I wasn't able to join ye in Duffy's afterwards unfortunately an early start this morning precluded that (work, the curse of the drinking classes).

Your idea about future gatherings sounds like like a good one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 20/1/2023 at 1:38 PM, Signal Post said:

A very interesting and enjoyable evening at the museum, many thanks to yourself and your friends there for putting it on. A pity I wasn't able to join ye in Duffy's afterwards unfortunately an early start this morning precluded that (work, the curse of the drinking classes).

Your idea about future gatherings sounds like like a good one...

Thank you, Signal Post, I’ll pass this on to Tara (the lady issuing tickets at the door). She deserves the credit as it was her idea!

She and I are currently discussing other possibilities. As always, funding is an issue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, Newtoncork said:

Great to see these Jonathan. Be great for the kids at the weekend! Actually more for the dads........

Certainly is! I'm hoping Fingal Council will fund some more display cabinets, as Fry's British models (mostly LNWR & LMS) still remain in storage.....

4 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Outstanding pictures Jonathan - reminds me to revisit the Museum, and of the tremendous contribution you make to it's success and the enrichment of this forum.

Well done,

George  

Very much appreciated, thanks - and you'd be welcome any time, as would all here.

• Like 2

On 16/2/2024 at 9:54 AM, jhb171achill said:

And the 1990s have returned in Malahide today. 

But the driver of the Enterprise took a wrong turning and ended up heading for Wexford….

IMG_0236.jpeg

IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

Surely that’s the signalman’s fault, setting the incorrect road? Ah, now I understand how in old photos various stock got so far from home territory except none really got to West Cork (sorry, Jonathan, working on my accent still) 😂 

On 16/2/2024 at 2:29 PM, Newtoncork said:

Great to see these Jonathan. Be great for the kids at the weekend! Actually more for the dads........

Wouldn’t be a bad idea for kids to see these running, recent posts showing concern for the permanent loss of interest in earlier eras with the passing of time and modellers

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

Surely that’s the signalman fault, setting the incorrect road? Ah, now I understand how in old photos various stock got so far from home territory except none really got to West Cork (sorry, Jonathan, working in my accent still) 

Could be heading to Landsdown Road for an International before running ECS to Dunlaoire for stabling.

Before the DART the Enterprise and match specials were often stabled in up yard at Dunlaoire, up to the Mid-70s match specials were stabled in the RDS sidings

Traffic from Belfast to the Internationals seems to have been heavy once watched staff at Belfast Central in the early 2000s cheerfully directing a long line of equally cheerful passengers into the last carriage of the mid-morning Enterprise.

Don't know about CAFs but 80 Class sets operated Curragh Race specials off the NIR system, saw a 6 car 80 Class set waiting to work a return race special at Kildare in the late 90s. I visited Kildare in the expectation of seeing one of the new IE 2700 railcar sets, IE had recently timetabled a Sunday afternoon Ballina-Waterford passenger most likely intended to cater for returning  Waterford Institute of Technology Students but at the appointed time saw an NIR 80 Class set instead!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fingal Council is currently discussing ways of increasing the broad appeal of the museum to not just the public at large, but interest groups as well - in particular those interested in railway models.

I have been asked to seek suggestions from modellers and modellers’ groups.

I am thus interested in suggestions of any sort in terms of basic content, special events or on-site facilities.

Since this is the “go-to” place for those interested in Irish railway modelling, I would be pleased to hear any suggestions either by PM to be here, or to jhb171@gmail.com.

• Like 2