3D prints

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

Was speaking with Owen over the past few days and beyond. That scan above is of a standard MGWR third class coach, without which any model of the MGWR system 1890-1925 is as impossible as a model of a modern MGWR area of IE without an ICR. But following the amalgamation in 1925, these vehicles were to be seen all over the country, even penetrating remote branch lines like Kenmare or Valentia Harbour in the deepest wilds of GSWR territory, the West Cork system (even further away), and the south Wexford branch lines. The MGWR themselves even lent 6 or 7 of them to the BCDR in the 1910s, so they were at one time to be seen on East Belfast commuter trains, and in rural Co Down.

They outlived many of their contemporaries, and in numbers, lasting until the very last operations of any six-wheelers in early 1963, by which time the last remnants of any fleets of six-wheeled coaches had graduated to Cork, where their final use was on peak hour Cobh suburban trains and Youghal Sunday excursions.

A MGWR six-wheeler has for long been one of the big gaps in Irish railway models. I've my name down for one of these, and if Owen's Dungarvan signal cabin and several other 3D prints of his that I have are anything to go by, this will be a beauty.

The SLNCR borrowed them too, from time to time, so they’ve picked up passengers in rural Fermanagh too.

Now; chassis, anyone?

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

3D print 22’ flat model is another thing Owen is working on, as of tonight they really good

589B32BC-38E9-4CE5-88F6-6CB7F5AAF900.thumb.jpeg.b56b126e8fc894da9f9cc465706e044a.jpeg

The wagon looks well with the keg cages,

Having worked the real Guinness trains back in the day may I ask is there under frame detail ? , e.g brake cylinders and brake gear rigging,the under frame looks very bare without it,see the attached photo for details-otherwise well done Owen-it’s a badly needed wagon for my era of modelling. 

IMG_2820.jpeg

• Like 1

On 21/2/2024 at 9:02 AM, ttc0169 said:

The wagon looks well with the keg cages,

Having worked the real Guinness trains back in the day may I ask is there under frame detail ? , e.g brake cylinders and brake gear rigging,the under frame looks very bare without it,see the attached photo for details-otherwise well done Owen-it’s a badly needed wagon for my era of modelling. 

IMG_2820.jpeg

I think he had the rigging before but wants to improve. Will ask 

On 21/2/2024 at 7:28 AM, BosKonay said:

How much are they once complete?

will ask this also. 

83F62935-956F-4C5D-A71E-123F475DBC68.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

3D print 22’ flat model is another thing Owen is working on, as of tonight they really good

589B32BC-38E9-4CE5-88F6-6CB7F5AAF900.thumb.jpeg.b56b126e8fc894da9f9cc465706e044a.jpeg

Don't want to be appearing critical, but it looks like Owens prints are based on the 20' Skeletal Flats introduce in 69/70 the underframe of the 22' Flats is significantly different with the flanges of the Solebar channel turned inwards and the W Irons welded to the outside of the underframe unlike earlier CIE 20T Flats.

JMLyonsTeaSWagon.jpg.8bbaf4ef90fbf58bfd804ec68f020348.jpg

I produced a test etch for the 22' Flat about 12 years ago but never got to the production stage

DSCF6013.JPG.3d24d4682acc0aadfe1442976f858046.JPG

The photo of the model shows the relationship between the solebars and w irons and the way the ISO cuplock support brackets project outwards from the solebars

• Like 3
  • Informative 4