Delivery time from Rails of Sheffield

Rate this topic

Dave

Has anyone ordered from Rails of Sheffield? I have ordered quite a lot of stuff and I am waiting nearly two weeks, I have emailed them and they confirmed the products were dispatched.

Has anyone dealt with them? Does it normally take this long for their orders to get here? I order products from the UK and they arrive in days.

They told me it could take up to 3 weeks!

Starting to get a bit worried, as so many companies are going under.

Cheers!

Has anyone ordered from Rails of Sheffield? I have ordered quite a lot of stuff and I am waiting nearly two weeks, I have emailed them and they confirmed the products were dispatched.

Has anyone dealt with them? Does it normally take this long for their orders to get here? I order products from the UK and they arrive in days.

They told me it could take up to 3 weeks!

Starting to get a bit worried, as so many companies are going under.

Cheers!

I bought some stuff off them before (ltd editions, locos I couldnt get here) and it was usually between a week and 7 working days. They're a major outfit and do stack loads of mailorder, especially from their renowned 2nd hand ebay store.

I ordered loads of stuff from them a few years ago, and they dispatched it very quickly. Getting it delivered was an orderal though. I order quite a lot of IT components from the UK and find overwhelmingly that when it gets landside in Dublin Airport time slows down and Paddy couldn't give a sh1t whether you get your stuff or not. No amount of phone calls or chasing them will improve the situation. What does your tracking number show Dave?

A lot can depend upon who they are using to carry it. I've had stuff delivered here, two identical items from the same supplier, and they have taken two days and nine weeks. The best service has been from DPD, they will not only tell you what day it will be delivered, but, on that morning, they will tell you what hour it will arrive in - I thought they were joking the first time, but it's a spot-on service from them.

dpd_van.jpg

I use Rails of Sheffield more than Hattons and find them very good, next day delivery in the UK.

Unfortunately when items are sent to Ireland then time stands still.

I have sent items to Ireland (ROI) and they arrive at Dublin the next day then disappear for a week or to.

There is nothing they can do until 28 days have passed.

I'm sure the items will turn up.

Both Rails and Hattons do a lot of mail order so I'll be very surprised if either will be going under.

Mail order or internet ordering is the way things are going nowadays, it's only those that lag behind that go under.

Regards,

Wiggy.

To buy local means paying a lot more than getting it in from the UK, Marks Models charge €4.50 a length for Peco SL102! I can buy it a lot cheaper in the UK.

I normally buy local where I can but I saved nearly €70 buying in the UK.

I am a big believer in supporting Irish suppliers, but with a price difference that big it pays to shop around.

It arrived safely this morning:-bd

To buy local means paying a lot more than getting it in from the UK, Marks Models charge €4.50 a length for Peco SL102! I can buy it a lot cheaper in the UK.

I normally buy local where I can but I saved nearly €70 buying in the UK.

I am a big believer in supporting Irish suppliers, but with a price difference that big it pays to shop around.

It arrived safely this morning:-bd

Rails euro price works out @ €8.67 per length plus p&p. How is that cheaper?

I don't know where you got that from, I bought 2 boxes of Peco SL102, 50 lengths for £119 plus £12.00 shipping total £131.00 which is €150.77 which works out at €3.02 per length delivered!!!

Apologies Dave got it mixed with something else. In Irish (ROI) retailers defense we pay substantial carriage costs for Peco product as compared to UK and N Ireland retailers who pay none!!Add in the higher VAT rate and variable currency costs.......I could go on, but I'm not here to whinge. Again my apologies for my error.

S

I don't know where you got that from, I bought 2 boxes of Peco SL102, 50 lengths for £119 plus £12.00 shipping total £131.00 which is €150.77 which works out at €3.02 per length delivered!!!

Hi Dave,

Glad you received your items.

Yes you can make some savings by shopping around.

Depending on what else you bought from Rails, Hattons do the 1 box SL102 for £54.00 + p&p.

I all ways compare the 2 (Hattons & Rails) some items are cheeper at Hattons than rails then visa versa.

Just lately because I prefer Rails, I have found items cheeper at Hattons, then called Rails and Rails have priced matched Hattons so long as Hattons have them in stock.

I do, do a lot with Rails, all my Irish stuff, loco's and coaches are from rails including the Lima 201's when they first came out.

Over £1500.00 worth of 141/181's, plus the 201's and 071's.

Track, points, buildings etc all mainly from Rails.

Had the odd items from Hattons but got ripped off with postage when they sent am order with out of stock items missing then sent the out of stock items on when in stock and charged me p&p again.

If items are out of stock at Rails they don't charge me again for sending them on when in stock.

Not sure if they would do that to Ireland.

Plus if anything wrong with an item they change it on questions.

Hattons would not change 2 faulty Dapol signals I had from them.

I sent them back to Dapol and they changed them for me.

Sorry but I don't rate Hattons at all.

Wiggy.

Hi Dave,

Glad you received your items.

Yes you can make some savings by shopping around.

Depending on what else you bought from Rails, Hattons do the 1 box SL102 for £54.00 + p&p.

I all ways compare the 2 (Hattons & Rails) some items are cheeper at Hattons than rails then visa versa.

Just lately because I prefer Rails, I have found items cheeper at Hattons, then called Rails and Rails have priced matched Hattons so long as Hattons have them in stock.

I do, do a lot with Rails, all my Irish stuff, loco's and coaches are from rails including the Lima 201's when they first came out.

Over £1500.00 worth of 141/181's, plus the 201's and 071's.

Track, points, buildings etc all mainly from Rails.

Had the odd items from Hattons but got ripped off with postage when they sent am order with out of stock items missing then sent the out of stock items on when in stock and charged me p&p again.

If items are out of stock at Rails they don't charge me again for sending them on when in stock.

Not sure if they would do that to Ireland.

Plus if anything wrong with an item they change it on questions.

Hattons would not change 2 faulty Dapol signals I had from them.

I sent them back to Dapol and they changed them for me.

Sorry but I don't rate Hattons at all.

Wiggy.

Thanks for that Wiggy, I went with Rails because they accept PayPal, they responded very quickly to my enquires.

I will be using them again.