Ligean Brewery

Rate this topic

KMCE

On a number of occasions when I had the Port Bréige model out on display some people asked if I was going to extend the model, in fairness, it is quite compact and not suited to large trains coasting about.  My normal reply was that I did not intend to extend, as the only way would be out through the sector plate, and in keeping with the scene would end up with trains in the sea.

However, it is possible to extend out through the other side of the sliding fiddle yard.  So with a little adjustment a new layout is possible and it would be good to keep it in touch with the port layout.  Given the port layout has a maltings facility, a small brewery makes sense - the bags of malted barley could be conveyed by train to the brewery and the completed casks trained back for onward shipment by sea!  Again a fictitious layout, but as a simple cameo I think i can go with it.

The layout will have two Y points, one on entering splitting the road, and a second facing the first allowing a short siding to a small loco shed; the intention being the brewery has its own loco for shunting work.  I have 495 (a small Peckett 0-4-0) on the bench for change to RC, so once complete should be part of the loco power.  I do have another Peckett body which I may make as a replica of the Guinness loco, but that's for the future.  I am debating whether I will use one or two wagon turntables, one essential for delivering wood to the cask manufacturing building, while the second would be in line and allow a perpendicular line in front of the brewery building.  Still not decided, but it is coming time to make that decision & get on with it.

So how does it look?

CombinedModels.thumb.jpg.4ebc0b8c7e8d6a49eeb280915fda7174.jpg

This is how the layouts combine together - with the cover on the sliding fiddle yard, there will be a clear distinction between the two.  Brewery is bolted to the end of the fiddle yard which is where the break is for movement - the combined length being just over 2 metres long.

EarlyLayout2.thumb.jpg.ee97c0fed25a8fca7a26850508b81146.jpg

Layout with buildings thus far.

EarlyLayout1.thumb.jpg.3d15865407f9c0c8bd361748335d60b4.jpg

EarlyLayout3.thumb.jpg.e546ce2b7d8a772c8bde059c7aa3ca1a.jpg

Loco shed being used as a view blocker for the incoming traffic.  Roof is a repurposed one from another model scrapped some time ago.

EarlyLayout4.thumb.jpg.fd89accc7934c8f8d309817815b5ac13.jpg

Buildings are made from 3.3mm plywood (4mm according to the hardware store) with the laser providing the details; windows being 3D printed to suit the openings.

I would like to have a cobbled area in front of the main brewery & kegging buildings and am trying out an option with laser etching & cutting.  If this works, I can integrate the tracks with the cobbles, rather than fixing the track and trying to get the cobbles to conform - jury is out on this one, but hopefully it will work.

Still a lot of work to be done and a sky background would go a long way to develop the scene.

Early days, but satisfying progress thus far.

More as time permits.

Ken

• Like 13
  • WOW! 1

Time to get started on trackwork, well the points anyway.  As noted above the plan is to use two Y points face to face with a short distance between the two.  To do this I took standard Y points and trimed back the divergent lines to bring them closer together which means the exit of one flows quickly into the second - almost easier to show than explain...

PointConstruction1.thumb.jpg.0929546510d6a2ed4f0c4c46f086b19a.jpg

The LHS point is virtually complete and the current job is the fabrication of wing / check rail on the RHS point.  This one needs careful trimming, the plan being to have the check rail run from one point right through to the second without break to give a more prototypical look to the whole installation.  Rather than two separate points, this will be one large crossover smoothly flowing across - well that's the plan!

Construction is 3D printed track bases with code 75 rail trimmed and filed as necessary.  With this type of construction, I will only need one solder point at the crossing vee, however a lot more work to be done prior to making that solder joint.  With the fine tolerances and rail lengths it's necessary to keep pulling the two elements apart until all elements are complete.  The soldering of the vee will be the final touch.

PointConstruction2.thumb.jpg.6b3b545173071c9b8636c483db07022b.jpg

Also needed is a trusted wagon to check vee & wing rails tolerances to make sure all runs smoothly.  3D printing makes sure back to back dimensions are correct, however wing rail position relative to the vee needs fine tuning to ensure smooth operation & the wagon is essential.

All for now.

Ken

• Like 10
  • WOW! 1

So points completed as a unit, which have turned out quite nicely - a prototypical look which is good.

PointsComplete.thumb.jpg.eccbdd3c39cbb304c30165d553357b2b.jpg

Time to check fit the points with the rest of the track - sans turntables for the moment. 

PrelimTrackLayout1.thumb.jpg.e8ea8c3efc229d02e538a09f2ecc6798.jpg

PrelimTrackLayout2.thumb.jpg.c8bdc38b616618d12de91638f26c0c30.jpg

Turntables are in the process, but are taking some time to get the tolerances correct, but I'll get there.

Opportunity to get point actuation installed - these will be push rod type control as there are only 2 points & the layout is small; no need to complicate things.

More as time permits.

Ken

• Like 14

Finally got the printing of the turntables sorted, so I'll continue with two as originally planned.  Tolerances are quite tight & material thickness is quite slim but with some fettling  they appear to be working.

The design allows for 90 deg turn only to be easier to control and get track to line up - what will be more difficult is how I can remotely turn them, but that's a problem for later.  The column below the table will allow extension below the baseboard thus allowing connection for remote control.

Turntable1.thumb.jpg.de2420040b5097ba477dce286bb6ba30.jpg

Turntable2.thumb.jpg.e4990a0ad6ac7416f7527e794273ed8e.jpg

Underside of turntable deck needs a bit of tidying up to remove the printing supports while the cut out in base needed some minor filing to ensure turntable operates smoothly. 

Turntable3.thumb.jpg.d959d63d5fcfdeddec2032d12383c939.jpg

Lots of track cutting and filing to get to the finished deck and track laid in one direction.  I need to drill holes in the baseboard to inset these into the layout which will allow track connection in the other direction.  I'll follow up with some more photos as I make progress.

All for now....

Ken

• Like 12

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Some good progress made on both the buildings and installing the turntables.  Holes were drilled in the baseboards to take the turntables and also to allow point control - pipes and wires have been installed for point control, but the final connections need to be made.

Turntable4.thumb.jpg.723b24ed33710e91b6bd02b30cc32f98.jpg

Turntables home, but not fixed yet; I want to use the cobbles to set the final positions prior to fixing down.  All rails connected and wagons run in both directions, which was a pleasant surprise given the amount of time in design and construction.

Windows and doors have been printed, painted and installed in the buildings - I still need to fill the panes with glue n glaze; this works well for these windows as they are quite small.

The roof tiles are made from light card, painted and then cut into strips using the laser - strips then glued on in rows.

Turntable5.thumb.jpg.e011e8b63fa238c1dc0897a34ebd8a92.jpg

I included a brewery office in the third arch - inspiration taken from a similar building in Guinness's brewery and provides a small focal point of interest.  I may need to re-make the keg fab building (red brick building) as it is not quite filing the gap properly - it also needs some supports to ensure it stands on its own feet.

Turntable base is slightly high, but this will improve once fixed down properly - there is also a slight ramp up onto the turntable deck, again a function of the base not sitting level.

HouseDetail1.thumb.jpg.fbb4fb396d62b7fd39e84a36f8358592.jpg

Keg store has got window and door, however I still need to get to the roof.  The plan with this building is to have a platform in front with a roof over - the lines on the building indicate the position of the future roof.

The main office building has got a roof - that valley at the roof intersection took some time, but turned out reasonably well.  This roof used the same tiles as the main brewery building stepped to make the valley joint.

LocoShed1.thumb.jpg.a1e5c977d01bd46f9b02a1779791d6d3.jpg

I re-cut the loco shed as I felt the boards on the original were too wide; the revised cut looks a bit more realistic.  Windows have been added while fascias need to be added to finish the roof.

I plan to paint/dry brush this  building to give a hint of paint and lots of wear with the boards & joints showing through.

Anyway, all for now - more as progress warrants.

Ken

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Had the delight of seeing this layout in Bray yesterday and observing the detail of the cobbles, stonework, windows and roof slates. The quality of finish on the turntables is outstanding. It all looks so right in 21mm gauge that you just take it as normal, the layout and its sister are inspirational and I look forward to enjoying the progress. Great work Ken.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1