Marks Models NCC Jinty

Rate this topic

Barl

11 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

I expressed an interest in this Jinty and indeed it looks really good, the livery especially, but the large couplers are giving me second thoughts.  Hopefully someone can advise how feasible it is to deal with this and if it's not feasible to replace them with NEMs, then the only thing I can think of is the brutal but usually effective method of fixing black wire between the buffers (I can hear the gasps of horror from here!)

But fair play to Marks.

On my Hornby Railroad Jinty, which admittedly is pretty old, the large couplers are held to the chassis at each end with a single screw and easily removed, leaving a space for the coupler of your choice, either screwed or glued in place. Assuming nothing has changed, the Mark's Jinty should also be easy to modify. 

Getting hold of NEM sockets is harder in my experience. Sources, anyone?

Alan

IMG_0302.thumb.jpeg.5695017cd726f5c8b53902f85c20785c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

I expressed an interest in this Jinty and indeed it looks really good, the livery especially, but the large couplers are giving me second thoughts.  Hopefully someone can advise how feasible it is to deal with this and if it's not feasible to replace them with NEMs, then the only thing I can think of is the brutal but usually effective method of fixing black wire between the buffers (I can hear the gasps of horror from here!)

But fair play to Marks.

Look earlier in the thread! It seems you can hard glue in new couplings 

On 3/7/2024 at 3:20 PM, gibbo675 said:

Less hassle than doing the following:

DSCF2310.thumb.JPG.c1934332ed0c0978bc2676a751a47e99.JPG

DSCF2325.thumb.JPG.305fbff04c894a7e7af527d11803d2e0.JPG

DSCF2296.thumb.JPG.d7eacd6fd1b4bad7b274940b0b6ab592.JPG

All good fun though !

Gibbo.

I don’t envy you but I am interested to see how they turn out! Also, I like the James and Daisy visible in the first picture. I have a thread on Thomas somewhere. Is the HST a Thomas model, too? I know there’s a HST in later Railway Series books.

1 minute ago, LNERW1 said:

I don’t envy you but I am interested to see how they turn out! Also, I like the James and Daisy visible in the first picture. I have a thread on Thomas somewhere. Is the HST a Thomas model, too? I know there’s a HST in later Railway Series books.

Hi LNERW1,

I have a thread for each locomotive pictured so that is where you need to look.

As for the James and Daisy, they just happen to be there and the Mk2's are part of a Glasgow Birmingham with a class 85 at its head.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

Thanks. I sometimes find it difficult to distinguish Mk2s and Mk3s, especially when you can’t see either carriages in full, or see the doors. I think I may have posted in your V class thread. Thanks again, LNERW1

Many years ago I remember there was talk of trying to get Hornby to do an Irish version of the class 58..with 071 numbers and liveries. The reason being that both classes were "dog bone" type locos. It never came to fruition as Hornby at the time were not interested.  The numbers talked about were very small. It was not a very well presented business case either. Imagine talking to Hornby about this...on a pay phone. The operator cutting in to say your time was up or more money was needed. Ah well they meant well!

There was no such thing of an investor in the wings. It was more a question of (and I quote) "How much do you have in your post office savings account?". Sounds funny now but believe or not the people involved were deadly serious about this. Me, I was not involved just knew a few of those involved so I heard some of the conversations. Ah the innocence of it all! 

• Like 1

Got the Jinty today from Marks. Always great to go to a model shop. Interestingly Herself went to a charity shop around the corner while I did the business. She did note down a conversation between a couple in their 30's where he wanted to go to Marks while she went to the charity shop! 

Always good to support Marks as I'm paranoid that they will go without us. Would IRM support them a bit more? No Mk2A's there. Surely we need to have people like Marks to encourage the younger generations, won't that benefit IRM and the hobby in the end?

• Like 2

My Jinty was despatched on Friday, hopefully with the correct CN23 attached and an AED prepared.

I did email Mark's before posting to remind them, and afterwards, to check it was done, but no reply to either mail just yet.

Fingers crossed!

On 6/7/2024 at 7:24 PM, Newtoncork said:

Got the Jinty today from Marks. Always great to go to a model shop. Interestingly Herself went to a charity shop around the corner while I did the business. She did note down a conversation between a couple in their 30's where he wanted to go to Marks while she went to the charity shop! 

Always good to support Marks as I'm paranoid that they will go without us. Would IRM support them a bit more? No Mk2A's there. Surely we need to have people like Marks to encourage the younger generations, won't that benefit IRM and the hobby in the end?

We do offer some trade terms, and the Mark 2 b/c packs should be in stock there tomorrow, as well as some other items. As always if you are in a shop, and don't see IRM stuff, ask them why not :)

35 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Crying out for a photo comparison with your 7mm one…

Couldn’t agree more, but first we have to look at the loco itself…

They even provide a loco crew and vac bags!

Couplings unscrewed very easily.

IMG_3734.jpeg

• Like 3