Marks Models NCC Jinty

Rate this topic

Barl

It's probably fallen through the cracks with everything else being announced at the SDMRC exhibition but I see that Marks Models are collaborating with Hornby to produce a model variant of the NCC 3F 'Jinty'.

Did anybody manage to get any further information during the show? I only saw the small drawing on a page behind their stand. 

Edited by Barl
  • Thanks 1

I was literally just making a topic about this when I saw this pop up, so I’ll just put what I typed in this thread 

I don’t think this was posted on the forum yet, but those who were looking for some RTR steam might be in luck after all! 

Hello everyone, 

We have some very exciting news for all of our railway modellers. 
With help from our friends at Hornby we have commissioned our first exclusive Irish steam locomotive. 
We are bringing out the UTA (former NCC) 3F tank engine better known as the Jinty. Two of this exceptionally popular tank engines where sent to Ireland during WW2. 
Our model will represent one member of the duo and we are hoping to have it available sometime in the new year. 
Numbers are limited to 500 pieces and price is to be confirmed. 

We hope you enjoy our first foray into Irish steam locomotives!

You can pre order by ringing the Dublin or cork store. Price is yet to be arranged 

• Informative 1

@Broithe mentioned it briefly yesterday morning, without the detail of today's posts:

On 28/10/2023 at 11:14 AM, Broithe said:

Well, the Jinty will also be back - via Mark's Models...

I think it's absolutely brilliant that @Marks Models are commissioning a Jinty. I don't care whether the tooling is Bachmann, Hornby or Lima.

If it brings new people to the hobby, and they then buy wagons or coaches from IRM, Murphy Models or Provincial Wagons, then happy days.

Maybe they'll end up buying five new 071's in two or three years, along with rakes of coaches and wagons.

If it's not good enough for forum members, then good for you, don't buy it, but try not to demean people indirectly, or unintentionally, who are going to buy it.

I'll definitely order one, to support Marks Models, to support Irish railway modelling in general, and to see what it's like.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Build ref R2882

if you google R2882 it brings you to the railroad jinty, so i guess its gonna be railroad.

If its available for sub 100 euro like the other ones thats not actually a bad thing at all tbh.

Edited by Sean
  • Informative 1

34 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Well Chunky Tension locks on the Diagram. Maybe thats a clue to the tooling.

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

Build ref R2882

if you google R2882 it brings you to the railroad jinty, so i guess its gonna be railroad.

If its available for sub 100 euro like the other ones thats not actually a bad thing at all tbh.

Bit of a shame from a hardcore modellers perspective, if it genuinely is Railroad Range, but since they are so cheap BNIB on eBay, might be great for enticing new people into the hobby.

Might just be the artwork was based on the railroad model?

Have seen them as cheap as €50 odd BNIB on eBay.

I get what you are saying but I was actually crying out for that type of model a couple of years back when i was coming back into things so from that regard it should entice people back. it has to be priced properly though and not inflated because of its irishness, thats the only thing i would consider to be essential.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

I get what you are saying but I was actually crying out for that type of model a couple of years back when i was coming back into things so from that regard it should entice people back. it has to be priced properly though and not inflated because of its irishness, thats the only thing i would consider to be essential.

Agree 100%. If it brings new people into the hobby, everybody wins.

New ideas, new perspectives, more customers for IRM, Murphy Models, Provincial Wagons, JMD etc further down the line.

• Like 1

Hornby in the past would not have even considered a run as low as 500 pieces as a commission so things must have changed at Margate. I remember some years ago someone approached them to do something and the amount they were willing to work off was in the thousands. Whatever lands from this if it is not up to your standards don't buy it. 

I thought Marks Models would have commisioned an 00 version of their van first.

• Like 2