Clogherhead Church Build

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

That pebble-dashing looks amazing!

My thoughts too, or a Presbyterian! But, like railway architecture, ecclesiastical architecture can take many forms.........

The premises will occasionally change hands, like pubs.

Whatever the denomination involved, I am impressed that someone is devout enough to ballast vertical surfaces.

I wonder if that is the result of a penance from a particularly interesting confession or an attempt at getting a very worthwhile indulgence?

Edited by Broithe
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

6 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Hmm, that interior doesn't look Presbyterian, although it could be one of Charles W's places?

Don’t worry Leslie, once the interior is complete, there will be no confusion as to where headquarters lies!  In fact, the coastal location of this church is very appropriate, when one thinks of ‘The Holy Sea…..’ 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

12 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Don’t worry Leslie, once the interior is complete, there will be no confusion as to where headquarters lies!  In fact, the coastal location of this church is very appropriate, when one thinks of ‘The Holy Sea…..’ 

Ah yes, Patrick I sea what you mean!

When Father John Brennan gave the Eulogy at memorial service for the famous photographer, Ivo Peters, he thanked the local C of E vicar for the use of his pulpit and explained that he (John) worked for a Large Multionational Company based in the South of Italy .......

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 19/12/2023 at 3:25 PM, Broithe said:

The premises will occasionally change hands, like pubs.

Whatever the denomination involved, I am impressed that someone is devout enough to ballast vertical surfaces.

I wonder if that is the result of a penance from a particularly interesting confession or an attempt at getting a very worthwhile indulgence?

Talking of what denomination it is, I wonder is it five pound, ten pound or twenty pound denominations; and whether they have silent collections on the "Sobboth".....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Looks terrific Patrick. And more of the backstory emerges. At least one former PP was a Leitrim man. Why else is the church interior painted in SLNC railcar livery? 

I think you are onto something here GM, I have done a bit of research and apparently the sacristan team at the church included two sisters, Florence Court and Hazel Wood……

• Funny 4

16 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

I think you are onto something here GM, I have done a bit of research and apparently the sacristan team at the church included two sisters, Florence Court and Hazel Wood……

And the aforementioned PP was called Rev. Glen Farne…..

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

All churches have a church mouse. I wonder what an 00 scale one would look like…..

Plus, Fr. Hedclogher of the parish might need a cat to catch it with…..

The lady who arranges the flowers in the church is called Lily Rose Tansey, and she has a cat called Peregrine (just to compound things, her husband is a top link GNR driver) and with a name like that there are definitely no mice to be found. She chose that name because it was always going to be a church cat, hence named after a bird of pray.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4