Hydraulic buffer stops

Rate this topic

Noel

There was a hydraulic buffer stop at the end of the  arrival road at Sligo Station up to the mid 70s.  The hydraulic buffer stop had been replaced by a set of friction buffers when I 1st visited the station in 77-78 and the hydraulic buffer stop partially dismantled with the buffers and hydraulic removed.

6 hours ago, Broithe said:

I have a 'memory' of them at Heuston - and, yet, this picture is 1973.

1973 CIÉ 'Supertrain'

I would have been there a couple of times in the late 60's, though.

I might be remembering the ones at Crewe...

Super photo.

6 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

I think the guard irons and sandpipes might disagree!

I bow to your superior knowledge sir😀. But it did come through the station wall pretty intact all the same. I don't even know what those pieces are🙄

Edited by derek
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, derek said:

I bow to your superior knowledge sir😀. But it did come through the station wall pretty intact all the same. I don't even know what those pieces are🙄

No expert, but guard iron (normally vertical in front of wheel to sweep debris off track)circled  in green. Sandpipe (to put sand on wet rails) in blue 

IMG_0967.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

2 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

No expert, but guard iron (normally vertical in front of wheel to sweep debris off track)circled  in green. Sandpipe (to put sand on wet rails) in blue 

IMG_0967.jpeg

Every day is a school day. Thanks. Amazing photo though, isn't it? Look at the guy in the peaked cap, hands in pocket, pure nonchalant. " Ah shur, I see the train came out through the station . Wonder what's for tea?"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Broithe said:

1973 CIÉ 'Supertrain'

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Super photo.

A great photo indeed, the black and tan livery on the GM's, was always very striking. B161, only recently repainted by the look of it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Broithe said:

1973 CIÉ 'Supertrain'

I know not the topic of this thread, but my god wasn’t Heuston looking well!! Gorgeous natural light through the roof and hanging baskets and everything!! And I was always fierce fond of checked station platforms! Such a shame that there’s been a bit of a decrease in station pride and well-kemptedness with some of these aspects - certainly the station is still well-kept with the new platform surfaces and signage and boards, but the roof windows could certainly use a shine these days and a few flowers wouldn’t go astray!! 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

I know not the topic of this thread, but my god wasn’t Heuston looking well!! Gorgeous natural light through the roof and hanging baskets and everything!! And I was always fierce fond of checked station platforms! Such a shame that there’s been a bit of a decrease in station pride and well-kemptedness with some of these aspects - certainly the station is still well-kept with the new platform surfaces and signage and boards, but the roof windows could certainly use a shine these days and a few flowers wouldn’t go astray!! 

I remember seeing Heuston in those days and being amazed at the sheer quality of the place, compared to the semi-derelict stuff I was used to on the Big Island at that time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

. . . and pairs of baby GMs in consist ran most of the main line pax services with excellent reliability. B&T livery GMs hauling super train rakes still look well. Before the locos were repainted into supertrain livery too.

• Like 1

On 30/3/2024 at 11:55 PM, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

You're not the only fan of a checkerboard pattern! 
https://www.rockarchive.com/prints/s/specials-the-spec001jf

• Like 1
  • Funny 1