New Hornby Black 5

Rate this topic

Just out of interest, does anybody have one of the brand new Hornby Black 5 models?  I have no intention of going down that route, but I was just interested as it was hailed as the ‘ultimate’ Black 5 yet it hasn’t received universal rave reviews……..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Just out of interest, does anybody have one of the brand new Hornby Black 5 models?  I have no intention of going down that route, but I was just interested as it was hailed as the ‘ultimate’ Black 5 yet it hasn’t received universal rave reviews……..

The Sam's Train's review (quell your booing and hissing!) was, shall we say, far from glowing, and he was thorough enough to get a replacement Black Five from Hornby and re-review it. Gimmicky stuff like removable lamps (one of his was glued on!) and pretty mediocre running. Glue marks and ski slope running boards...

Considering Accurascale has come out with a 4-6-0 that's considered one of the best steam locomotive models going, Hornby's new Black Five doesn't seem to justify itself for the price.

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

I don't mind Sam's videos - yes they're a bit long and I squirm at the sight of the trains running on the carpet, but I like his style.

As someone who has nothing at all to do with RTR (if only one could buy 7mm 36.75mm gauge !) I’m not often on Sam’s Trains. That Black 5 video was actually pretty solid and well-informed. He’s also a pretty good modeller - look at this 3D LNW loco he designed and built……IMG_1234.thumb.jpeg.05f9adcd351143603044f1584e0d42f6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Just now, Galteemore said:

As someone who has nothing at all to do with RTR (if only one could buy 7mm 36.75mm gauge !) I’m not often on Sam’s Trains. That Black 5 video was actually pretty solid and well-informed. He’s also a pretty good modeller - look at this 3D LNW loco he designed and built……IMG_1234.thumb.jpeg.05f9adcd351143603044f1584e0d42f6.jpeg

Yes indeed.  Pity about that carpet..........

• Funny 2

Posted (edited)

Sam's my go-to for locomotive reviews (him and EuviRail). He's through and he's seen so many at this stage he has a very good eye for quality (detailing, build, and performance). He also doesn't hold back on criticism either. Also, as @Galteemore has said his 3D stuff is very impressive.

Other stuff he does can sometimes be a bit left-field, but he enjoys messing around with trains and there's room for every one in the hobby. The carpet doesn't bother me either. My only gripe is that he doesn't always have a whole lot to say about the prototype (often just relying on the info that came with the model) - but that's okay: I'm buying a model not the real thing. If I want to know more about the prototype, I'll get a book.

Back to the Black 5: I've a few LMS bits but this model won't be on my shopping list 🙁 (and that's thanks to Sam's reviews - both of them)

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

One observation from his reviews, they can be a bit one size fits all. For instance, I've seen him criticise big Pacifics over their slow shunting ability, when really it's not the type of thing the prototype would have excelled on either. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just came across this topic on the black five        my friend has a brand new one  it is a Hornby Peter Waterman Black 5   collectors edition 

can anyone give a value on it  as he is thinking of selling it 

as far as i know it is DCC ready 

s-l640.jpg

5 hours ago, Stoby said:

...can anyone give a value on it  as he is thinking of selling it...

s-l640.jpg

As much or as little as someone is prepared to pay for it. 65-70 quid would be fair.

It's the previous generation model now, but would only have particular significance to devoted Pete Waterman fans. To everyone else, it's just a decent Black 5. Other Black 5s are available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

As much or as little as someone is prepared to pay for it. 65-70 quid would be fair.

It's the previous generation model now, but would only have particular significance to devoted Pete Waterman fans. To everyone else, it's just a decent Black 5. Other Black 5s are available.

Had one of those previous editions Black 5 in sound for years, did not think anything much was wrong with it except for a poor haulage capability which was cured by some extra weight.  I am pleased with it and it won't be replaced for sure.

• Thanks 1

Seems to have got mixed reviews.

I've seen at least a couple who had trouble with the drawbar losing contact on curves but cleaning it with Ipa seems to do the job.

Also cases of the loco throwing off a crankpin & the lamps being difficult to remove & replace. 

It also seems to run better on Dcc than Dc for some reason.

Quality control seems to be a problem with Hornby with these.

I would like one of these but not at the price Hornby are asking.

Hi Tony     yes the new hornby black five  even after all the hype about it      it seems to be having a lot of issues     the pete waterman one is the older better version 

Tom

• Like 2