Weather and Aircraft

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Just listening to Shannon ATC and watching the airlines, some poor buggers diverted from Dublin to Belfast, then Belfast closes, then onto Prestwick. If anyone is in the Shannon area, it's gonna be a busy night. All Cork and most of Dublin flights diverted there.

Just listening to Shannon ATC and watching the airlines, some poor buggers diverted from Dublin to Belfast, then Belfast closes, then onto Prestwick. If anyone is in the Shannon area, it's gonna be a busy night. All Cork and most of Dublin flights diverted there.

Yikes... Prestwick!? A major headache for anyone on that flight. At least anyone diverted to Shannon can make their way to Dublin by road.

Swmbo and I got caught up in this twice once we were to be bussed to the Shannon but ended up flying to Shannon on a 146 and then changing planes in Shannon to go off on our sun holiday:cool:.

The second time it happened we were left waiting in Crete for 48 hrs as the plane was unable to get out of Cork due to bad weather but we didn t mind as we got an extra day and a half sitting on the beach although our bosses were not to pleased(not that we cared!!!). Plus spotted a steam loco in Crete when down by the port in Heraklion admitally a plinted one.

Cork used to be closed quite often due to fog mainly but occasional bad storms caused it to close to, i can remember the air show in 1985 been cancelled due to closure of the airport. I think they should have built it in Kileagh next to the Cork-Youghal line were they were supposed to build it in the first place and not a windswept, fogbound hill were the present one is.

There's an interesting "tin foil hat" theory about councillors and brown envelopes, a site on a fog ridden hill etc. about Cork Airport, though it's the only place close to Cork city where one could put that alignment (perfect) of runways. Would love to read that book... Once upon a time Dublin Airport was going to be built at Sandymount, on the advice of councillors because of transport links (what a thought!) but some captain reckoned the flying lark was better elsewhere. It seems you can never win.

I do feel sorry for anyone stuck tonight. They put on busses, then ran out of them. So you can stay in shannon/cork/belfast and hope to get home tomorrow, or deal with a bumpy overnight ride to dublin airport. Mick O'leary will be in poor form tomorrow though, the amount of fuel spent by at least 20 aircraft in holding patterns over the irish sea might give the bugger indigestion. I'll drink to that.

R.