Belfast central

Rate this question

Liverbird81

Question

24 answers to this question

Belfast Central was the forward thinking planning for the railway system in Northern Ireland back in 1976.The planners really got that one right,with central nowhere near the centre of Belfast.It replaced Great Victoria Street and Queens Quay,once two magnificent stations in their day,but by then both in run down states.

With regards doing a model,it has good potential,especially in a smaller area,as the station part over the lines can act as a good scenic break.The platforms have a nice gentle curve to them and there is good operating potential,albeit mainly railcar operations,freight being virtually non-existent.

Belfast Central was the forward thinking planning for the railway system in Northern Ireland back in 1976.The planners really got that one right,with central nowhere near the centre of Belfast.It replaced Great Victoria Street and Queens Quay,once two magnificent stations in their day,but by then both in run down states.

With regards doing a model,it has good potential,especially in a smaller area,as the station part over the lines can act as a good scenic break.The platforms have a nice gentle curve to them and there is good operating potential,albeit mainly railcar operations,freight being virtually non-existent.

I suppose you could always pretend the Bleach Green line opened earlier, then you could have the timber trains going to Derry! You could also have a pretty good variety of rolling stock, with both IE and NIR mk2s, mk3 push-pulls, even Cravens being hauled by 201s and 071s!

I suppose you could always pretend the Bleach Green line opened earlier' date=' then you could have the timber trains going to Derry! You could also have a pretty good variety of rolling stock, with both IE and NIR mk2s, mk3 push-pulls, even Cravens being hauled by 201s and 071s![/quote']

That would add some operational interest. And you would be safe in the knowledge that nobody else is modelling it. Some of the greatest layouts are based on urban grime and grot. Tetleys Mills, New Street, Hornsey Broadway etc.

I have to say Belfast Central wouldn't strike me either - but if NIR consisted of more lines and had freight, you could have all sorts of stuff going through it. But if modelling a station to show through traffic, Drogheda would suit better - it's even got curved platforms too! And NIR as well as IE stuff....

Or Dundalk.... if gthe DNGR and INW lines were still open, 2600s to Greenore, and timber empties heading out towards Clones....

I had a look at Belfast Central from a bird's eye perspective, and if you have about 10 feet for the station and a width of 3 feet you could fit it all in. Add another 8 feet for the approach and a nice curve, and it would make an interesting diorama, especially if you got a bit of the Lagan in there. You wouldn't have the ugly west facade to look at, nor have to model the taxi mon at the front door.

Belfast Central2.jpg

R.

Thanks guys I'd luv to model parts of the Belfast to larne line probaly central,York rd , bleech green, maybe carrick or white head I know there is a lot better layouts could be built but it's the line I travelled when I was young so to me it has good prospects to be a nice layout it's goin in my garage so should be good it will be a long term project

Guest hidden-agenda

I live in Carrick so if you pick a station and want some pics let me know. Bare in mind quite a few stations have changed over the years and bus shelters have replaced the buildings at some stations.