650 Class Preview

Rate this topic

Mayner

Some photos of the build of the study models for the ex-MGWR 2-4-0, this is basically to see if the model is buildable.

The basic assembly of the platework is complete, the boiler fittings are just plonked on for general effect, some modifications are needed before the kit is released.

The model is assembled in OO with Romford wheels resulting in the wheels being inside the boiler/firebox shell.

There was a mix up at the engravers the locos ended up in nickel silver, the tenders brass.

DSCF8434.JPG

650 Class late MGWR early GSR condition, superheater round top boiler, round canopy cab, tender coal rails.

These cabs were used as a replacement for the "Flyaway" cabs on the 2-4-0s and some 0-6-0 but were phased out during the 1930s, they were low (a source of staff head injuries) and gave poor protection from the weather.

DSCF8442.JPG

650 Class late GSR condition superheated round top boiler, Inchacore cab with round spectacle plates.

The GSR replaced the canopy and remaining "Flyaway" cabs with what was basically a standard Inchacore pattern and replaced the cast iron chimneys with a standard Inchacore "built up" variety.

DSCF8428.JPG

Close up of the loco showing cab and smokebox riveting.

At this stage its difficult to predict the probable cost or release date, but I would expect Summer/Autumn 2014.

Edited by Mayner

2014 maybe John? :)

She looks sweet, when would the late condition version have been withdrawn?

Most lasted to the late 50s with 6 surviving into the early 60s.

They seem to have worked passenger and mail trains on the Sligo and Mayo lines, Dublin-Bray suburban trains (both routes) and Wexford Mail trains until replaced by diesel railcars/locomotives.

Class G 2 - 651 - M&GWR Class K 2-4-0, built 1895 by Kitson & Co. as M&GWR No.16 ROB ROY - 1925 to GSR, 1927 rebuilt with round top boiler, 1935 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE, 1951 rebuilt with round top boiler - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Bray, 05/52.

Edited by Mayner

Most lasted to the late 50s with 6 surviving into the early 60s.

They seem to have worked passenger and mail trains on the Sligo and Mayo lines, Dublin-Bray suburban trains (both routes) and Wexford Mail trains until replaced by diesel railcars/locomotives.

Class G 2 - 651 - M&GWR Class K 2-4-0, built 1895 by Kitson & Co. as M&GWR No.16 ROB ROY - 1925 to GSR, 1927 rebuilt with round top boiler, 1935 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE, 1951 rebuilt with round top boiler - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Bray, 05/52.

Excellent, I fancy a late one so, I take it these will be built for both OO gauge and 21mm gauge?

• 2 years later...

".....I've a notion that one of these was painted black instead of grey in very late days. I'll investigate which one (or if I'm even right on that one!)....."

I investigated the above, which I posted the other day - on perusal, I'm probably wrong, as the picture is strong in contrast. This often made grey locos look black, especially when combined with the sheen of oily rags polishing! I'd stick with grey for accuracy.

Its hard to believe that its over two years since I started this thread and not so hard to believe I still haven't finished the locos:rolleyes:

I am updating the artwork to include inside non-working valve gear, but haven't had a chance to look at the drawings since July.

K Class Valve Gear July 2015.jpg

The gear is based on the Beyer Peacock GA of the earlier D Class 2-4-0 although the K Class cylinders are further forward of the leading axle and motion bracket than the earlier locos.

I will have to have a close look at the valve gear on my large scale Mogul or a full size loco to position the eccentric rods even half right.

I have used the same CAD programme for over 10 years and I am still learning and discovering new short cuts and features

Edited by Mayner

I thought it was going to be a kit only?

The demand for Irish kits of this nature is very limited, the next stage is to establish if there is enough demand to release the loco as a complete kit or simply the etched parts with the builder sourcing wheels, castings etc.

It should be feasible to build a few as rtr models, the main problem is finding the time to complete other unfinished projects.