Unusual Wagons

Rate this question

Kirley

Question

15 answers to this question

Dave 182 posted "Reference Material- CIE in the 80's" in the General Chat Section. I noticed the second picture shows unusual wagons. They look like old containers with a side cut out. Can anyone give further information on these please?

They look to be carrying cable troughs-possibly for use on the DART project-I've seen these heavy duty plastic troughs used a few years ago.

another great looking pic that i never saw before:tumbsup:

I think the containers may have started life as open siders rather than shipping containers that were introduced to a can opener.

Open side container.jpg

These were for palletisied traffic like lime from Carlow to Belfast. This was before the development of modern curtain sided vans and containers, the section above the doors were fitted with green tarps.

Most of this sort of traffic was lost in the 80s as the railways concentrated on deep sea container traffic

Suggestions -

The channel does look like the concrete channel used on the DART. I think it was concrete, not plastic. Anyway, the location is Connolly and the loco is 050. Irish Life Centre is built, so it's post 1974/5. The outside road beyond platform 7 is still in place, so it's before Connolly was modified for DART. So I'd say an engineers' train involved in the DART modifications.

The loco in the other pic is a small GNR one and seems to be in black (U/UG or similar?), so presumably to prevent the UTA thinking it was one of theirs and making off with it. By the way, is that Malahide - GN signal box on the short platform, with the long platform visible in the foreground?

Alan

Definitely Malahide circa 1955. I did read the reasoning for the double stencilling somewhere a few weeks ago, but ya put wan thing in thaul head, another thing falls out, so I might be able to pick it up over the turkey fest.

The stencilling started to appear after the GNR was divided between CIE and the UTA; it would thus be from very late 1958 onwards, rather than earlier. Some tenders received the stencils on both sides like that, but others received them once on the buffer beam only. I never saw any evidence of two on the buffer beam or a loco, nor two on the end of a railcar or carriage.

The stencils disappeared as vehicles were repainted into CIE green (or in a few later cases, directly into black'n'tan) or UTA dark brunswick green - for obvious reasons. The UTA, indeed, had an interim solution - some carriages and railcars remained in GNR dark blue and cream, but had the large "G N R" lettering and numerals painted out along with the GNR crest, but not yet repainted in green. The UTA number would be applied in UTA style, with the UTA roundel, and occasionally a front yellow "wasp" panel as well, until full repainting took place.

Incidentally, on the subject of GNR livery, it is worth pointing out that the blue carried by GNR buses, and today's RPSI "Cravens", is NOT the blue the GNR had on railway conveyances! The German diesel loco, the Fintona and Howth trams, and railcars and carriages had a much darker blue, almost navy. Unlike the RPSI Cravens, which to be fair, nobody ever pretended WERE in GNR livery, there was no blue band above window level - the cream went all the way to gutter level.

The UTA's short lived mid-1960s "GNR section" livery on some AEC cars was also not at all GNR livery. It was quite a light blue, if anything marginally lighter than the RPSIs, with cream, but also a blue band above, and a silver roof (which got dirty grey very quickly). I remember 111 and 115 in this form.

Actual GNR dark blue carriage paint can be seen on the Fintona tram at Cultra.

Reviving this thread! Any idea what this wagon was used for? Image is a screen grab from youtube channel 'Midlandcompound1000' and is Drogheda circa 1995. Might it be associated with the maintenance of the Boyne bridge?

attachment.php?attachmentid=27023&stc=1

Interesting photo Dave looks like Drogheda before the centre road and sidings at the viaduct were removed the 121 on the MK3 threw me as I thought the sidings had gone in the 70s re-signalling

The wagon is an interesting one of a small batch of rail carrying wagons built on redundant coach underframes in the early 80s. The cradle could be used for carrying steel slab or possibly point components

The loco in the other pic is a small GNR one and seems to be in black (U/UG or similar?), so presumably to prevent the UTA thinking it was one of theirs and making off with it. By the way, is that Malahide - GN signal box on the short platform, with the long platform visible in the foreground?

Alan

Exactly. The UTA would go on to repaint their share in their lined black livery if they intended to keep them. Meantime, at least one or two simply had the "G N R" painted out. CIE did the same - while they repainted none in their grey, and didn't renumber any either into a CIE series, they would just leave them as they were and paint out the lettering but leave the number. Thus, for a very short time, a black northerner would appear among grey southerners in Broadstone, on the DSER and the odd foray down the Cork line.

The stencils were simply to temporarily denote ownership until the loco concerned was scrapped (in CIE's case), or either scrapped or retained (in the UTA's case).

The majority, of course, of all GNR locos, including their 4.4.0 classes, were unlined black. Blue was only for passenger and some mix traffic engines. No GNR tank locos were ever blue.