Can you dance like this

Rate this topic

Funny you should post that OMD track. I was in a shop the other day and there was a Gregorian-type song playing in the background. I thought it sounded familiar...

As for dancing... Ian Curtis certainly had the moves:

(especially from about 1:30).

Funny you should post that OMD track. I was in a shop the other day and there was a Gregorian-type song playing in the background. I thought it sounded familiar...

As for dancing... Ian Curtis certainly had the moves:

(especially from about 1:30).

Pat I think Ian Curtis may have created those moves on stage to help him cope with his epilepsy. As for Andy McCluskey I think it might be his mechanism for coping with nerves before a live audience. The boys in Tears for Fears were known to throw some odd shapes in their early years on stage. I saw Simple Minds in 1983 and Jim Kerr moved like a dog that couldn't decide which tree to p**s on. If I had to make a choice for who moves the most on stage at shows I have been to I would say that Flea and Keith Flint would be hard to beat.

Rory Gallagher, now that mans hands were all he needed to move. Watched him on Sky Arts last night, what a genius.

Rich,

OMD had played with Joy Division at Erics in Liverpool and were

infleunced by Ian Curtis moves and music.He is 32 years dead today!.

RIP Ian.OMD tribute song-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fufgVs5hAWk

It's hard to belive Eamonn that he passed 32 years ago today, I have Permanent on the stereo as I am typing.

You cry out in your sleep

All my feelings exposed

And there's a taste in my mouth

As desperation takes hold

How could something so good

Just not function no more

But love, love will tear us apart again

RIP Ian Curtis, genius and tortured soul.

Pat I think Ian Curtis may have created those moves on stage to help him cope with his epilepsy. As for Andy McCluskey I think it might be his mechanism for coping with nerves before a live audience. The boys in Tears for Fears were known to throw some odd shapes in their early years on stage. I saw Simple Minds in 1983 and Jim Kerr moved like a dog that couldn't decide which tree to p**s on. If I had to make a choice for who moves the most on stage at shows I have been to I would say that Flea and Keith Flint would be hard to beat.

Rory Gallagher, now that mans hands were all he needed to move. Watched him on Sky Arts last night, what a genius.

Rich,

Have to say it was hard to beat Mick Jagger back in the day

Every dance you went to had a "Satisfaction" set where we all threw our STONES shapes

Embarrassed just to be talking about it

Rory Gallagher, thats another story. if check shirts could dance!

Not sure about using it as a coping mechanism, Rich, but the moves were certainly inspired by the condition... especially in that song.

Rich,

Played bass in a Rory Gallagher tribute band for a while. Trying to do Gerry McAvoy's basslines justice was tough enough without having to move about the place as well!

Each generation brings out its own unique style even genius always in a state of flux. We all threw shapes in our time.

I suppose I caught the tail end of the 60s mid 70s generation not quite a hippy or a punk into Thin Lizzy, Lynnard Skynard, The Stones at the time never really appreciated the post Punk movement but blown away years later Nirvanna.

These days its a matter of seeing the survivors of bands I never got to see in my teens and 20s.

A 60 odd year olf Jagger strutting like a cockrell around the Stage at Western Springs in Auckland, Lynard Skynard at the Point, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison being their own inscrutible selves, though I did find Coney Island on a trip around the Ards.

John

Edited by Mayner

Not sure about using it as a coping mechanism, Rich, but the moves were certainly inspired by the condition... especially in that song.

Played bass in a Rory Gallagher tribute band for a while. Trying to do Gerry McAvoy's basslines justice was tough enough without having to move about the place as well!

That's sounds cool Pat. How did you get on playing, bought and sold, and shin kicker.

Rich,

Each generation brings out its own unique style even genius always in a state of flux. We all threw shapes in our time.

I suppose I caught the tail end of the 60s mid 70s generation not quite a hippy or a punk into Thin Lizzy, Lynnard Skynard, The Stones at the time never really appreciated the post Punk movement but blown away years later Nirvanna.

These days its a matter of seeing the survivors of bands I never got to see in my teens and 20s.

A 60 odd year olf Jagger strutting like a cockrell around the Stage at Western Springs in Auckland, Lynard Skynard at the Point, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison being their own inscrutible selves, though I did find Coney Island on a trip around the Ards.

John

I whole heartedly agree with you about Nirvana John. I think Moby summed their sound up when he compared it to being like a building falling down, it grabbed your complete and utter attention. Come as you are is one of my all time favorite songs. I've even seen an Elvis impersonater doing a fine rendition of it. One of my biggest regrets is that I never got the chance to see Lizzy live.

I really like the Stones myself, Gimmie Shelter what a tune.

Rich,

Have to say it was hard to beat Mick Jagger back in the day

Every dance you went to had a "Satisfaction" set where we all threw our STONES shapes

Embarrassed just to be talking about it

Rory Gallagher, thats another story. if check shirts could dance!

Mick is a legend alright Dave, and I would say that you definitely have the moves like Jagger.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...