Behind the scenes in China

Rate this topic

Mayner

Saw this on RM Web Rapido Trains visit to Chinese factories & talk about a British model.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/blog/2014/01/07/the-twelve-days-of-china/

John

Thanks for the link, which brought back very happy memories, of my time in Hong Kong. I noticed that the girls were all muffled up against the cold - it was probably in single figures Centigrade and as the guy on the clip says, not heating in a place which is normally cooking hot.

On that tooling costs thing, David White and i were quoted £10,000 to tool up to produce a GN cattle wagon, so you can guess what Paddy, God love him, has spent!

You may be entertained by the "factory" - but they used to build QJs at Datong with just as few signs of "automation".

Very happy days, notching up rides behind 75 of those QJ 2-10-2s - always travelling on my own - the Chinese were lovely friendly people AND, I even got into a Christian church on Christmas Day in 1998 (there were a fair few Christmas trees around even then!). Easter Sunday in Shanghai in 2002 was one of the most moving days of my life, in a packed church, singing the same hymns as we do in any Irish church on that day.

On another thread, Ivan mentioned that he didn't know that I was Provincial Wagons - now I'll let him into another secret - I was the last European Chairman of the Hong Kong Railway Society - my first four GNR locos were built in the former colony!

John, thanks again for that illuminating link.

Leslie

• 2 weeks later...
How do you write "G N R" in squiggles, Leslie!

:-)

Careful, John, the site has at least one Mandarin-speaking member!

CNR makes a lot of use of the GNR's railcar livery on locos and some coaching. Behind me in the showcase is a Bachmann model of a DF11 Co-Co on Blue and Cream. Of course it's nearly invisible behind the Class QJ 2-10-2, which is enormous.

Thinking of that, when the roundhouse is built, I'll photo it beside a VS!!!!!!

Leslie