The possibility of a RTR 20ft wagon chassis?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were they brass, needing soldering etc. so what's the problem if people, modelers can finish the item and have them for sale

Whitemetal and resin I believe. You were moaning about kits, you were moaning about price, make your mind up! MIR professionally built will cost a good bit. Would love to see them back as much as anyone, but they wont be the cheap quick fix that some are looking for.

The newer Mir kits were quite easy to build out of the box, with a little work they could be brought to a whole new level. George, Anthony and Scahalane all produced unbelievable results with these kits. Most of the ones I built the Ammonia, cement bubbles, container flats and the locos were as easy as an airfix basic kit and glue could be used as it was mainly resin, whitemetal and brass for the finer details. So if they were to be reintroduced all modellers should be able to build them. For an idea on there rtr price try the model shop Belfast site as they used to do them rtr to order.

Edited by Riversuir226

I don't believe anyone has mentioned Irish Freight Models 20' and 22' flats - is that because they are not held in very high esteem by some of the members of this forum? Maybe we should have a review section where there would only be two criteria - what was good and what could be better - always look positive with no words like what was bad - encouragement for the small band of manufacturers of Irish models.

Stephen

Have to disagree with you there Stevie

While I do agree with encouraging the small band of guys who are out there producing RTR Irish models if the model is wrong or not up to scratch it should be brought to everyone's attention

Remember that while they have a love of Irish railways at heart they are also in it to make money, lets call a spade a spade.

If the faults are brought to everyone's attention the buyer can still buy if he is aware of the faults and finds them acceptable

It also puts pressure on the manufacturer to up his game & improve his product ala Eoins DART.

I personally paid a fortune for 2 items that were only fit for the bin when they arrived, so should I have filled a page telling everyone what should have been better. because there was nothing good about it?

In the end though I suppose it will remain with the buyer if he wants to buy a model which is correct in all aspects, he is going to pay heavily for it or if he wants something that vaguely represents an Irish model at a cheap price,

Come back M.I.R. please!

That's precisely why we need a review section, so you and others can tell us what was wrong with the models. You haven't told us anything apart from the fact that they were only fit for the bin. Were they the wrong length, wrong wheelbase, wrong body…..?

If you've got the time, skill and money, you can produce very lifelike models but not everyone has. A glance at Model Railway Journal shows what can be achieved. We compromise on the likes of track gauge, 16.5/21mm, so why not with other aspects. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

To go back to an earlier question of mine, what has happened to James Mackey and his Model Irish Scale Rail? His models showed great promise but then he disappeared, apparently off the face of the earth, towards the end of last year.

Stephen

That's precisely why we need a review section, so you and others can tell us what was wrong with the models. You haven't told us anything apart from the fact that they were only fit for the bin. Were they the wrong length, wrong wheelbase, wrong body…..?

If you've got the time, skill and money, you can produce very lifelike models but not everyone has. A glance at Model Railway Journal shows what can be achieved. We compromise on the likes of track gauge, 16.5/21mm, so why not with other aspects. Imagination is a wonderful thing.

To go back to an earlier question of mine, what has happened to James Mackey and his Model Irish Scale Rail? His models showed great promise but then he disappeared, apparently off the face of the earth, towards the end of last year.

Stephen

We had a couple of negative comments made about a couple of Irish models which caused an unbelievable shitstorm through the site. It's just not worth the hassle. On top of that reviews take time to write, should be written by someone who is qualified in the subject in hand and have a respected opinion. After all, what's good for one person might not be good enough for another. They take time too and that's a rare commodity for those of us who run the site as it is.

Other model railway forums do not do reviews and they leave it to the magazines instead. Maybe New Irish Lines would be better placed to do reviews.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guys I know it has been sometime since anyone wrote on this thread, but I was wondering does anyone have a copy of the standard 20ft chassis as used by the CIE? I am sure that there must be someone who has a copy and also some one who is up to date with 3D Cad drawing.

If it could be done in 3D then all it would require is the person who buys a print is to clean it up, paint it, fit wheels, top hat bearings and coupling and you have a RTR chassis.

Colin