The possibility of a RTR 20ft wagon chassis?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Leslie from Provincial Wagons would have good experience of it, but I assume something in the 250-500 wagon range would get a run made...

Well, actually, Leslie has no idea! But, say £15,000 for tooling and then, say a fiver each to mould them? Even a thousand would be £20 a pop!

I was thinking of getting "My Man" to do me a resin bubble to go on the Dapol kit, but I've been beaten to it! I've still not given up the idea of a complete kit, but I wonder if all of you who want a train of bubbles have already got them?

As for the Prestwin, regrettably no-one makes them any longer, or you could get the chassis for about £7/£8 a shot, less if you buy loads.

Hornby did do it and you'll find them on eBay, but was it sufficiently to scale? One photo I found was pretty ugly, compared to what the kit will make for you. But, more importantly, it was much too short - take a look on eBay.

Leslie

Mod edit: Thread split from 'New cement bubble kit now available from D&M Models' as it had veered away from the original topic into a separate discussion.

Edited by Garfield

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so now who's going to have ready to run bubbles for sale for the modeler who's not into soldering, bending, fixing, gluing, etc.etc. but who would like to buy these models and enjoy them on their layout :tumbsup:

Surely if you're not into any of that then you wouldn't be called a 'modeller'? :P

I priced up Dapol to manufacture the 20 foot back in 2012.

From memory, it was working out at around £16k for tooling and around 7 pounds per, including packaging / box.

5,000 wagons would set a cost price of 10.20 sterling (about 12.50 euro)

Add shipping, marketing, some margin to make it all worth doing, and you're easily charging 25 euro retail, assuming you could sell 5,000 of them...

Still can't understand why Murphy Models hasn't produced any wagons to go with those magnificent locos. Take the cement bubble for example.....the average modeller will buy enough to make a decent sized rake, so even if the minimum run is 5,000 wagons, I can't see how they wouldn't sell over time. Obviously, it has to be financially worthwhile, so maybe use one of those project funding sites such as Kickstarter, where you either pledge or provide your cash up front. At least then, you will know if the project is viable or not.

Still can't understand why Murphy Models hasn't produced any wagons to go with those magnificent locos. Take the cement bubble for example.....the average modeller will buy enough to make a decent sized rake, so even if the minimum run is 5,000 wagons, I can't see how they wouldn't sell over time. .

dont understand Paddys thinking either, but there is still a lot of cravens out there yet. maybe when all is sold he may considder a run of freight.

I priced up Dapol to manufacture the 20 foot back in 2012.

From memory, it was working out at around £16k for tooling and around 7 pounds per, including packaging / box.

5,000 wagons would set a cost price of 10.20 sterling (about 12.50 euro)

Add shipping, marketing, some margin to make it all worth doing, and you're easily charging 25 euro retail, assuming you could sell 5,000 of them...

For even making the effort, I take my virtual hat off. Am sure the 5000 would shift, eventually. Therein lies the commercial problem. "eventually"

I guess competition is healthy too... But it would be nice to have a range :)

It is, but when you see Bachmann and Hornby trying not to duplicate each other [although it does happen on occasion] for a much larger British market and then Paddy Murphy avoiding subjects like the A Class because Silver Fox already do one you'd wonder how a small market like Irish outline RTR can sustain two separate entities doing the same wagon. After all, when a second company does the same subject as the first the market is cut in half, and if the first company has flooded the market then there is little hope of the second company selling out any time soon. The best way we all benefit is if the second company does something not already available. Of course this is also assuming that the product of the first company is up to standard.

I'd rather someone would do the humble open wagon, the box vans and stuff like twenty foot flats, fertiliser wagons, Tara Mines wagons etc rather than another bubble. But then that's just me.

A wide Variety of different wagons is better....

Agreed Nelson, so who's going to start producing for sale r.t.r. Vans, Wagons, Cattle wagons, Tankers, Break Vans, Beet wagons, Guinness wagons, Container flats, & all the other wagons that ran on Irish Railways, there's got to be someone on here who know's all the other types of wagon's that did, I have seen them on the many video's that get uploaded on here, and no,I don't do modelling, I just enjoy my trains, :-bd

Ballast Plough

Ballast Wagon

Magnesite Wagon

Pallet Cement

Curtain Cement

20 Planked, 20 Steel and 30 Ton Brake Van

Bulleid Open

Beet Wagon (Double Bulleid)

Cable Train

Wheelset Wagon

Shallow Spoils

Bayrte Ore

Plenty stuff to lash to a prestwin chassis.....

Well maybe someone could scratch build wagons to sell RTR, which will not need tooling or machines etc....?

I think it would be difficult to satisfy demand if you're relying on just one person to do all the work.

And the likely demand is another problem: in modelling, you've got quite a lot of people who are all for a particular model coming out, saying "I will, yeah", and then don't buy it.

I think it would be difficult to satisfy demand if you're relying on just one person to do all the work.

And the likely demand is another problem: in modelling, you've got quite a lot of people who are all for a particular model coming out, saying "I will, yeah", and then don't buy it.

Not to mention potential price. If someone is costing it by the hour the prices can soon rise to a price few would be prepared to pay.

Perhaps another thread should be started? With people giving ideas as to which wagons will be most popular and highly wanted in RTR?

Everybody wants something different - but only the select few are in a position to fund stuff. RTR models are funded with cold hard cash, not hopes and dreams