Irish railway passenger rolling stock

Rate this topic

heirflick

lads, anyone know of a good book on the subject of coaching stock for CIE? there seems to be very little on the subject:( and i am looking for info preferably with pictures. thanks.

Your first port of call should be Des Coakham's 'Irish Broad Gauge Carriages', which includes some CIÉ stock. It's been ages since I've looked through it, so I can't recall exactly what he covers in it.

Keep an eye out for Locomotives and Rolling Stock of CIE&NIR Doyle & Hirsch. (3 editions) cover the 70s & 80s probably the nearest thing to an Irish version of an Ian Allen ABC spotters notebook with photos and details of each loco and most coach and wagon types. ITG published similar books covering locos and wagons only.

Wonder if it covers the various Mark2s which are still an enigma for me.........?

Irish Broad Gauge Carriages is basically a concise history of the evolution the Irish railway carriage from the 1840s up to the 70 Class Railcar trailers the last Irish designed and built carriages.

The ITG stock book is probably better source for the more modern stock than Broad Gauge Carriages. http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/shop.html

Your first port of call should be Des Coakham's 'Irish Broad Gauge Carriages', which includes some CIÉ stock. It's been ages since I've looked through it, so I can't recall exactly what he covers in it.

the book came this morning and it an absolute treasure! loads of pics of some really unusual coaches and the odd bit of freight and p/w stock. thanks Pat for the heads up:tumbsup:

Yes, Des Coakham's book on Broad Gauge Carriages is a valuable reference work AND it's been remaindered, so you should be able to get it for not more than £10.

I agree with Seamus that the earliest editions of the Locos and Rolling Stock book is a useful source of freight photos.

ALSO, as mentioned on another string - Tom Ferris's two volumes on Irish Railways in Colour have lots of rolling stock photos (in the background, etc) and again should not put you back more than a tenner each.

Leslie

[quote name=leslie10646;57234

ALSO' date=' as mentioned on another string - Tom Ferris's two volumes on Irish Railways in Colour have lots of rolling stock photos (in the background, etc) and again should not put you back more than a tenner each.

Leslie[/quote]

am looking for same as I write!

Very rare and worth looking out for.

"Irish Railways Today", Brendan Pender & Herbert Richards - 1967 guide to CIE & NIR lines, locos and stock operating in 1967. Larger format than Locomotives and Rolling stock includes photos of stations, locos, passenger and goods stock, numbering details and background information.

There may be a copy in the IRRS Library.

Edited by Mayner

And Martin Bott Books has a copy for £25 - look it up on ABEBOOKS - the (almost unfailing) way to get rare books.

But, of course, there will be a copy in the IRRS library at Heuston - the Library has pretty well everything published on Irish Railways - a good reason to join the IRRS.

You can, by the way, at the MRSI exhibiiton this weekend, or at the London Area stand (E33) at Warley)!

• 1 month later...
Yes, Des Coakham's book on Broad Gauge Carriages is a valuable reference work AND it's been remaindered, so you should be able to get it for not more than £10....

I'm just after buying the last copy of it at the Waterloo bargain bookshop (closing down in Jan 2015) for £6.99 - a fascinating work.

I'm just after buying the last copy of it at the Waterloo bargain bookshop (closing down in Jan 2015) for £6.99 - a fascinating work.

Agree, I managed to buy a copy at the MRSI show. Really interesting material in there. More a reference book than a cover to cover read like all coffee table books.

PS: Does anybody know where one can buy 'Irish Rail Archive DVDs' online? (e.g. vol 1-2, 3-4, 5, etc)

Agree, I managed to buy a copy at the MRSI show. Really interesting material in there. More a reference book than a cover to cover read like all coffee table books.

PS: Does anybody know where one can buy 'Irish Rail Archive DVDs' online? (e.g. vol 1-2, 3-4, 5, etc)

If they're Wiggy's videos (I think) you get them from here.

http://www.wheeltappersvideo.co.uk/

Or if it's Markles archive DVDs, they're here.

http://a0530568.web.runbox.net/