Rails through the west

Rate this topic

heirflick

legends down these parts!! Barry and the gentleman who hitched a lift on B145 on the last day on the Burma Rd!!

Unknown legends, not the over exposed variety that everybody knows, my late Dad was a unknown legend that stalked the railways for over 50 years, north south east and west, mostly monochrome negatives and kodachrome slides, didn't live to see digital stuff, but his pictures will last longer.

Mayner, just getting your message now after a mad weekend in London with several other posters from here....

The exact date of the last revenue earning trip isn't known, but it appears to have been late 1974 for a through goods, though the occasional trip working from Tralee was later, probably early spring 1975. If I can pin it down exactly I'll post it here.

Unknown legends, not the over exposed variety that everybody knows, my late Dad was a unknown legend that stalked the railways for over 50 years, north south east and west, mostly monochrome negatives and kodachrome slides, didn't live to see digital stuff, but his pictures will last longer.

Welcome to the forum, Randall. If you can manage to digitize any of your dad's photos, these would be a great resource for modelers of late steam/early diesel which is an era somewhat less recorded prior to the explosion of AV recording devices.

• 1 month later...
Welcome to the forum, Randall. If you can manage to digitize any of your dad's photos, these would be a great resource for modelers of late steam/early diesel which is an era somewhat less recorded prior to the explosion of AV recording devices.

Thank you for the welcome DiveController, it's being worked on at the moment.

• 1 year later...

JB, having just re-read "Rails through the west" I have to thank and congratulate Barry and yourself for a truly superb production covering the pinnacle era of Irish railways. Absolutely Fabulous and a wonderful resource for future generations of modellers.

It's hard to single out any single image from the superb collection of photos, but the image of Gort station on page 29 with the busy goods sidings and classic array of goods wagons being shunted is probably my favourite image of Irish railways. A single 20ft Bell container hidden at the end of the train forewarns the end of this golden era was not far off at the time.

Particularly liked the Tuam and Claremorris coverage as well.

Gort_20101216_004_CC_JA.jpg

Just ordered a copy of "Rails through North Kerry" as a companion book :)

Noel

Edited by Noel
typo
  • Like 2

Hi jhb

Just picked up a copy of 'Rails Through North Kerry' today- excellent stuff, great photos, just breezed through it after dinner- looking forward to the read.

My favourite is 'Rails to Achill' , Achill Station is a modellers dream and the book is very helpful in that matter...

Eoin

Many thanks, Eoin.

"Rails Through Connemara" is now finished and with the publisher (after many moons of putting it off!). He has a big queue of stuff ahead of it, though, and it will probably be on the shelves towards the end of the year or a late as Easer next.

As the name suggests, it deals with the Clifden branch and Shantalla Quarry Siding in Galway.

• 11 months later...

Well, I have finally obtained a copy of Rails to Achill.  It arrived here just now and a quick look through it would suggest that some study periods may need to be allocated in a systematic manner.

One thing that I quickly noticed, however, is that my copy may actually be just that - a counterfeit edition. I have had a good look through it now, and I can't find a single one of the pictures upside down.

• Funny 2

On 7/31/2018 at 10:16 AM, Broithe said:

Well, I have finally obtained a copy of Rails to Achill.  It arrived here just now and a quick look through it would suggest that some study periods may need to be allocated in a systematic manner.

One thing that I quickly noticed, however, is that my copy may actually be just that - a counterfeit edition. I have had a good look through it now, and I can't find a single one of the pictures upside down.

It’s probably genuine, you may have got a copy of the Southern Hemisphere edition.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DiveController said:

It’s probably genuine, you may have got a copy of the Southern Hemisphere edition.

It did come with a bookmark insert suggesting several other Oakwood books, including one on the Launceston Branch - suggesting that you could be right and that this forgery may have originated in north/central Tasmania.

• Funny 1

• 2 years later...

Finally managed to order a copy of "Rails Through North Kerry (Limerick to Tralee and Branches)" on Amazon. They don't like shipping to Las Canarias, so you just have to keep trying every few months and see if shipping becomes available on what you want.

Lixnaw is of particular interest to me, so if there are any photos or notes that didn't make it into the book, I'd love to see them!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Finally managed to order a copy of "Rails Through North Kerry (Limerick to Tralee and Branches)" on Amazon. They don't like shipping to Las Canarias, so you just have to keep trying every few months and see if shipping becomes available on what you want.

Lixnaw is of particular interest to me, so if there are any photos or notes that didn't make it into the book, I'd love to see them!

I’ll check, DJD, but from recollection there’s nothing that shows anything different. Some of these places had such a sparse service that photos are rare enough - especially of anything happening there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I’ll check, DJD, but from recollection there’s nothing that shows anything different. Some of these places had such a sparse service that photos are rare enough - especially of anything happening there.

Thanks, JHB.

If you draw a blank, I'll still feel content at finally silencing the legendary JHB!

🤣

Looks like this is where @Noel got the inspiration for his Gort layout!

• Like 1