Irish railways books and videos

Rate this topic

GSR 800

I have a few of Tom Ferris books and have borrowed some of the DVDs from the local library.Really a mine of information with some great film. I enjoy these films very much.I noticed that the 800s seem to have had some minor changes in the mid 50s.Why did this happen? Does anyone know any more about these books or does anyone have more film or pics? anything to help would be greatly appreciated

Bigger is Better

They tried double chimneys, but reverted to single. No major modifications were carried out, such as different boilers or alternative types of motion. Externally, the livery changed from the unique GSR "mid green with a bluish tint", lined yellow and black like the GSR carriages; to the standard CIE green which may be seen on 800 in Cultra today, lined black and white as per "CIE green loco" practice. The "G S" initials on 800 in Cultra are not accurate - in that livery she should have a "flying snail".

GSR800,

"I think we should set up a fund! Get 800 going!"

A lovely thought. Unfortunately, that is all it will ever be. I remember discussing this matter in Belfast many, many, years ago. The reasons why it will not happen have compounded over the years. Then, she would have been restricted to one route Dublin to Cork. The restrictions were - her weight, length and hammer-blow. At that time there was a turntable in Cork that would allow her to be turned there. This, I believe, is no longer the case as it was taken out of its pit. The Boyne Viaduct was/is, I believe, a major obstacle to her ever running between Dublin and Belfast. When she moved down to Belfast to go to the Museum there, she was separated from the B Class Locomotive taking her there by a long line of Beet Wagons whilst crossing the Boyne Viaduct. The reason being that only a single locomotive was on the bridge at any time during the crossing of it.

There was no overhead knitting in the Dublin area. I'm not sure of my place here but, I imagine the height of 800 in relation to the overhead wiring might cause some problems when travelling in the Dublin area. Bridge heights along with the depth of modern ballast nowadays could also be a further problems.

Cost of restoring 800 were in excess of £125,000 twenty five years ago, so I hate to think how much her restoration to running condition would cost in 2015! Add to that the cost of reinstating the Cork Turntable, and retaining the use of the only turntable capable of taking her length at, Inchiecore Works, Dublin, and you begin to realise you have a beautiful locomotive that is restricted to a single route. Far better to spend the money we have on restoring, repairing, and maintaining multiple locomotives, with multiple route availability. This allows choice of routes and variety of motive power.

Please don't misunderstand my viewpoint. I would love to see her returned to working condition. Unfortunately, I have not won the lottery, nor am I aware of a lottery winner who has offered to have her restored to working condition; and to pay for all of the costs that will need to be meet her return to traffic use.

Old Blarney

I called my daughter Maeve....told her that she was named after the Warrior Queen of Connaught, but the truth was she was named after 800...... shes not impressed!:rolleyes:

Well, 800 is named for the warrior Queen of Connaught and so would your daughter, so no lie!

My niece is Maedhbh...... they do love Irish names at passport control, y'know... Aoife, Siobhan etc.:rolleyes:

No.800?

Too many wheels!

Engines are meant to have EIGHT, arranged 4-4-0!

Given the Euromillions, it would be No.207 again and she wasn't preserved for much the same reasons Lord White mentioned earlier against No.800.

That said, it WOULD be interesting to see how she really could run, as there's not a lot of info on how good they were. They were never given the chance to shine.

On the names - my sons are William (not Stanier, but that was a useful second reason) and Oliver, who IS named after an Irish 'Saint', born in New Zealand. Now, I have to admit that HIS engines had TWELVE wheels and went like the wind!

Leslie