How do you view layout?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How do you view layout?

• Scenery with track running through it
    • Track with scenery around it

Question

18 answers to this question

That to me is Option 2: Track with Scenery placed around it

Its all about the track and just line side scenery. no big town with multiple streets behind the railway.

And that is a great example of both rail with scenery around it and of them blending together.

Horses for courses. For some it will be authentic scenery through which railways run, for others it will be more about trains on the move and track work accompanied by scenery. Both equally valid preferences.

Many middle to older members may have been introduced to the hobby as youngsters with 'table top' model railways where designing and plugging different track formations together almost like meccano was as much part of the hobby as running trains, or adding scenic accessories to enhance the 'imagination'. Others may have evolved or were drawn by the challenge of incredible modelling skills to represent authentic scale scenes. Reading 'Railway Modeller' mag 30-40 years ago inspired many by showing what was possible.

Horses for courses. For some it will be authentic scenery through which railways run, for others it will be more about trains on the move and track work accompanied by scenery. Both equally valid preferences.

Many middle to older members may have been introduced to the hobby as youngsters with 'table top' model railways where designing and plugging different track formations together almost like meccano was as much part of the hobby as running trains, or adding scenic accessories to enhance the 'imagination'. Others may have evolved or were drawn by the challenge of incredible modelling skills to represent authentic scale scenes. Reading 'Railway Modeller' mag 30-40 years ago inspired many by showing what was possible.

Totally agree Noel it is horses for course's of course

that's why i was just curious.

I dont have the ability to do highly detailed modelling.

Some like end to ends some like tail chasers everything about this hobby is so different but yet still the same :)

The only way you develop skills is by practicing. Read and watch some tutorials, give them a go. If they dont work, learn from where you went wrong and try again. You dont have to become a master, just happy with your efforts and have the desire to improve.

Correct.

I never had the tools and materials to practice but since i have dealt with jhb171achill i now have rolling stock and paints to start.

but it always feels like i need to be buying more.

Need platicard - need card for card building -need colour ink for printer need an air brush to get the results id love most.

Need to find that hard foam for layout building - need scenic materials apart from the 2 or 3 that i have.

Its a never ending list that gets bigger the more i practice lol

Thanks for the nice comments on the layout which have appeared on this thread. The layout reflects current US layout design trends, high level narrow benchwork and walk around control where operators follows their train using hand held throttles. In the photo below the benchwork at the front of the locomotive is 16" wide approximately and the track level is 58" above the floor. The backdrop although very basic rised above eye leven and makes the scene appear much deeper than it actually is. Very little scenrry is modelled outside of the railway right of way and outside of railway buildings none are planned at present. This saves space, time and scenic material which can get expensive when large areas must be covered.

svr3.jpg

The next photo is taken at a higher level, reflecting track level of approxomatly48". The scene is nowhere as expansive and the curve appears much sharper.

svr4.jpg

To see first hand the effectiveness of high level narrow benchwork set up a few pieces of track, some rolling stock and a building or two on any convient high shelf at home.

svr1.jpg

The corners are the widest part of the layout, 22" at this point.

Edited by patrick

Thank you very much for that patrick .

it was a great explanation i love when people explain things just like that.

also gives food for thought. but i know its not just the level its at. you have a certain skill that blends your scenery rails and stock altogether that is VERY pleasing to the eye.

I recall members of a club I was once belonged to who were passionate scenery builders and may have had no inetrest in railways. It didnt matter where anyone placed a figure or vehicle they would always find a more natural position for it and the layout was better for them.

Edited by patrick