071's for Sale

Rate this topic

Kirley

When I knew that shop some 20 years ago they had (for Ireland) a very comprehensive selection of 00 gauge stuff.

Sadly nowadays little boys (and even some big boys) prefer to spend more time passively watching something entertain them on LCD screens rather than toys of yesteryear such as model trains, scalextric, meccano, climbing trees or kicking footballs, etc. Hence the demise of hobby stores in general.

Sadly nowadays little boys (and even some big boys) prefer to spend more time passively watching something entertain them on LCD screens rather than toys of yesteryear such as model trains, scalextric, meccano, climbing trees or kicking footballs, etc. Hence the demise of hobby stores in general.

I think that has more to do with a shift towards online retailers...

Probably both of those factors

I dont think we would've seen the massive investment hobby companies have made over the last 15 years if the market was declining dramatically. I also think people glued to LCD screens for 24 hours a day is a bit of a dramatic generalization. It's also veering yet another thread wildly off topic so let's get back on subject please.

High rates and other expenses would have a huge role in their demise as well. Unless you can get huge scale its not viable to run a successful model only shop. The days of model shops like Youngs of Fermoy etc are sadly long gone, for any shop to survive these days they must have a strong internet presence and at least another source of revenue other than models. If your lucky enough to have a shop that sells models you should support it otherwise you ll be facing long trips to get what you need or get used to relying on the internet. Getting back on point the 071's are a nice little bargain at that price, thanks for the heads up Kirley.

Edited by Riversuir226