Irish Railway Models: cement bubble detail request

Rate this question

Garfield

Question

Hi folks,

While work continues apace on development of the ballast hopper, we're using the quieter moments to work on its follow-up: the cement bubble. To this end, we're appealing for photographs which clearly show the topside hatch detailing, even more so than the photo below...

2lnz8ds.jpg

If you can help, please touch base with us by emailing patrick[at]irishrailwaymodels.com or richard[at]irishrailwaymodels.com. All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

The Irish Railway Models team

Thanks, Richie, for the plug!

A word about the weathering idea about 3/4 pages back in this rather rambling thread.

When I started Provincial Wagons (Lord, it was EIGHT years ago) I was advised by someone who had sold thousands of Dapol repaints NOT to offer weathered wagons, as they weren't popular with the punters.

I took that advice, for good or ill - I think for good. Having seen the terrific weathering efforts on my RTR wagons and subsequent kits - I'd leave the guys to do it themselves.

Now, COLOUR is another thing! I don't recognise the bubbles in GREY - they were ORANGE when I was a lad. So, I hope that you guys are going to do them in that slightly politically incorrect colour as well!

As for doing them in threes or singly, I would think that anyone with the siding space would take at least ten? You guys should post dozens of cement liner photos to wind us all up to buy them by the dozen! I hope to be around to buy my fair share, even though they came into existence a bit late for my "period".

Good luck with the project!

Leslie

Leslie of provincial wagons is beavering away on the H van, and If any man knows how to research something to within an inch of its life, it's him.

Rest assured it will be in the right colours too, fitted or unfitted. R.

No, I'm not beavering away on a H Van, I'm just in from a Carol Concert!

BUT, My Man is on the case.

Trouble is, I've got a lotta guys asking when the double decker beet will be ready - I KNEW I shouldn't have shown the mock-up at exhibitions. That's also in play, once my latest GN vans are on the market.

Maybe at Bangor .......

Leslie

PS Off to watch Match of the Day

So, I hope that you guys are going to do them in that slightly politically incorrect colour as well!

Oh leslie, you are a tonic :) we'll try and release them on the 12th July especially for ya :)

But seriously, the bubble is ticking away nicely and I'm especially impressed with the modular chassis which suits both wagons.

Pricing for the bubble is likely to be similar than the current ballast. All currency dependent though as we are dealing in euro, sterling and dollar. We'll keep the community informed all the way.

Lastly, the success of the ballast feeds into the bubbles' manufacturer, which in turn enables us for other projects. We're doing this because we four believed in a crazy idea 18 months ago, and have a belief that we each are pretty tidy in our individual roles, to the point that none of the four of us get a shilling out of this,in fact, we're not even having a Christmas party :(

Oh leslie, you are a tonic :) we'll try and release them on the 12th July especially for ya :)

But seriously, the bubble is ticking away nicely and I'm especially impressed with the modular chassis which suits both wagons.

Pricing for the bubble is likely to be similar than the current ballast. All currency dependent though as we are dealing in euro, sterling and dollar. We'll keep the community informed all the way.

Lastly, the success of the ballast feeds into the bubbles' manufacturer, which in turn enables us for other projects. We're doing this because we four believed in a crazy idea 18 months ago, and have a belief that we each are pretty tidy in our individual roles, to the point that none of the four of us get a shilling out of this,in fact, we're not even having a Christmas party :(

No Xmas Party? Ye need a Union! :banana:

They were all grey until about 1969 / 1970-ish. There is a nice pic of them in grey in Jimmy O'Dea's stuff,reference ODEA 43/11.

I'm not sure how to copy / paste that image here.... maybe someone else can?

The picture is captioned "Cement hoppers passing kildare" and it's dated 14th January 1967.

Edited by jhb171achill

Originally Posted by jhb171achill

Yes, my earliest memories of them were of them sandwiched between H vans, cattle trucks, flat wagons and open wagons.

Younger modellers might want to bear in mind that pre-mid-70s, "block" trains almost didn't exist; goods trains were almost all mixed, and with all being loose-coupled, a guards van always took up the rear.

That's my idea of a goods train. So I could buy one or two and sandwich them between other loose coupled wagons and the essential brake van behind a black and tan 141 or C class B&T livery.

I presume since they were " fitted" freight , they ran next to the engine , rather then dispersed throughout the train ?

On 5/12/2015 at 1:40 PM, flange lubricator said:

Glenderg, please don't take any of my postings as verbatim I am far from the fount of knowledge compared to some on here, to use cement parlance I have a head like a cavity block on these matters,but to add to my earlier post over the years the various silos were at various times supplied by either plant Platin or Castlemungret but Athy (Tegrel)was only ever supplied from Castlemungret. I was also led to believe that the Athy cement loaded from a separate silo in Castlemungret as far as I'm aware.

Bit of a necropost but I camme across this post while googling so may as well continue with it. In my 1992 WT there are two cement paths to Athy listed. One is named "Dublin/Athy" Cement Path, arriving in Athy at 06.15. The other is the Limerick/Athy Bulk Cement Path, arriving into Athy at 08.00. What is the first one? The train originated in the Holyhead yard at 04.25. Did such trains actually ever run and if so, were they bulk cement or perhaps bagged? (bagged is normally indicated in the WT however)

Interestingly I see no return working for this mysterious Dublin train, just the Limerick one, which was timetabled to depart Athy at 12.45pm. Does anybody know anything about this?

• Like 1