Flooding - December 2015.

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...

Flooding is the least of the Rosslare line's problems at Wicklow Murrough. It's about to join up with the sea shortly. A good 2-3 metres of beach were eroded during Storm Frank i.e. there was 2 metres or more of beach in front of the gorse bushes at the narrowest point in the photo before the storm.

Another big storm or two and the integrity of the railway line will most likely be compromised. The second photo showing the erosion since last year, shows the storm damage in December 2015 after Storm Desmond. First photo shows damage after the latest storm, Storm Frank.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by iarnrod

Flooding is the least of the Rosslare line's problems at Wicklow Murrough. It's about to join up with the sea

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22011[/ATTACH]

Well at least some defenses have been put in place over the last year or so.

Looks like they stuck a good fence there now, sure, it'll be grand:rolleyes:

Edited by DiveController

Well, on that basis, within one more year the ballast will be undermined.

Cue a line closure of several years, and a financial bonanza for consultants. After that, they might consider carrying out some remedial works!

There is quite substantial rock armour there, and it has been shown to be quite effective elsewhere. I wouldn't worry , till be grand , sure line speeds are so slow on that line , I can walk it faster

True, junctionmad.....

But, from the photos, am I right in thinking that the "rock armour" just seems to end at one point, and while all the coastline is intact and normal where protected, it's just disappeared where not protected?

That's exactly what happened, Jonathan.

IE are carrying out emergency works there today, placing rock armour at the narrowest point, and there is planned OPW works to place rock armour for about 55 metres along the eroded section starting at the end of the month, which should have the effect of just shoving the erosion further up along the coast. Sure that will be next years problem.....

What is required here is coastal protection all the way northwards up to about Five Mile Point, but you are looking at millions of euro in cost there, so I won't hold my breath.

JHB, the problem is that the erosion protection has been put in place by one authority to protect what look like buildings, and where it ends that's where the problem re-emerges - seems like there is no joined up thinking in Ireland, just like the UK - not my problem!

Stephen

Totally right, Stephen, totally right.

It's even the same in railway preservation. I can think, over the last thirty years, of numerous examples of how the overall conservation of old railway assets could have flourished with "joined up thinking", but various groups held onto their own little psychological empires. Some still do. Probably the best example is the scattered Donegal stuff, under myriad owners in myriad locations, few secure. But i don't want to drag this thread off topic on this (valid for a different discussion, perhaps).

With regard to the coastline in Wicklow, erosion exists in various locations almost from the Mourne Mountain shoreline down to Rosslare. All local authorities, the coastguards, landowners and coastal town authorities, county councils, etc., all need to co-ordinate actions on this issue. If a consortium of such was to make a loud enough noise to the Government, it would haver a somewhat better chance of action resulting. No time for parish pump politics or rival local interests and gombeen men....

With regard to the coastline in Wicklow, erosion exists in various locations almost from the Mourne Mountain shoreline down to Rosslare. All local authorities, the coastguards, landowners and coastal town authorities, county councils, etc., all need to co-ordinate actions on this issue. If a consortium of such was to make a loud enough noise to the Government, it would haver a somewhat better chance of action resulting. No time for parish pump politics or rival local interests and gombeen men....

well living in wexford as I do , the whole friggin easy coast is festooned with ugly rock armour, whole beaches have disappeared under it, bah humbug :SORRY: